Will Apple let me return my MBP for a new one?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thumper, Feb 26, 2008.

1. thumper macrumors 6502

thumper

so i just bought a new MBP at the end of december...
    will they let me return it to upgrade to a new one???

im kinda annoyed...

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

No, there is a 14 day period where you can replace it for 10%, 2 months is waaaay too long in the computing industry.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Why are you annoyed? Tech moves every day. Does your machine still do what you need it to do? It's not like people haven't been talking about the stupid updates for months now.

4. thumper thread starter macrumors 6502

thumper

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

2 Months! Give me a break. Stop crying and get over yourself.

6. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Hi...

It's called "buying a computer..." :eek:

I'd like Dell to give me back all the money I spent on their crap.
    (starts breathing into a paper bag...)

7. brandonshough macrumors regular

brandonshough

Welcome to technology.

I have a feeling your going to hate automobiles when you get older :rolleyes:

8. notengolegs macrumors member

notengolegs

9. thumper thread starter macrumors 6502

thumper

there is no need for insulting people... maybe you should take a break
    from your big online ego buddy...

10. thumper thread starter macrumors 6502

thumper

im on my 2nd car... how many cars do you own?

11. SVT Amateur macrumors 6502

Lol @ this thread.

I bought my base MBP a month ago and I'm still happy with my purchase as there was no way I could have waited until now to get a computer. I use it everyday at work, home, and school and although the bigger hard drive, faster processor, and more Vram seem they would be nice they are things I really don't need. I totally expected the MBP's to be updated sometime soon and I'm perfectly content that I made the purchase when I did. Just like when I buy a phone, car, or computer I always ask myself if what I'm buying now is worth the money I'm spending on it and am I content with the product if it is updated by a newer and better one in the near future.

12. thumper thread starter macrumors 6502

thumper

i just talked to apple on the phone.. and the guy asked me if there is something wrong with my mac... i said... "ya, the space bar is loud and squeaky and wont go away, it started about a month ago"

The nearest apple store is a 16 hour drive or a 2 hour plane ride...
    he replied, " maybe theres something we can do but there will be a restocking fee" and a depreciated value...

so im waiting :D

13. brandonshough macrumors regular

brandonshough

I suppose there will always be people like you in the world....

14. Ryuukumori macrumors 6502

Heh, I definitely agree. Talk about annoying and selfish. At least he got a MBP in the first place. I would have killed for one, regardless.

Anyways, I was hoping for the MBAs keyboard to integrate into these new MBPs, but oh well. They still look awesome. Glad I didn't buy one yet. =)

15. thumper thread starter macrumors 6502

thumper

how is that annoying and selffish...
    that squeaky keyboard is a valid complaint i seen vidoes all over youtube about it and topics right here on MacRumors..

all i asked was if i could exchange it and upgrade...
    if he said no, then thats fine... but he asked me if there was something
    wrong with it and i told him about the spacebar...

... you would of killed for a MBP, go work a job and pay for it...
    if after you saved up the money to buy it and 2 months later the price drops
    over $500 and is replaced by something better and even cheaper, then tell me how you feel.

Im not even all that upset about it... im not angry over it,
    all i did was ask if this would be possible... (Simple yes or no)
    all it is, is annoying...

I dont understand why such a simple question would provoke
    so much hate and negativity... very surprising from an apple community.

16. AirmanPika macrumors 6502

AirmanPika

This thread earns my Capt Picard sigh of disapproval...

[​IMG]

I will top it with a serious response that apple would not do this. The above were correct in that tech moves along fast. 2 weeks? OK I can understand. But 2 MONTHS? No, computer tech moves too fast to warrant a swap (not to mention the whole well declared exchange policy). If you want a new laptop, ebay it and cut your losses on a new one. Its frustrating but happens.

17. DVNIEL macrumors 6502a

DVNIEL

Right there is the annoying and selfish part. It's the fact that you think one complaint of a squeaky keyboard merits you the right to exchange and upgrade. What about those people who have bigger issues, and ask for it to be FIXED, instead of running for the replacement tantrum. With regards to you complaining about it losing $500 in value in 2 months? News flash, it lost $500 in value the very second you opened the box! Welcome to value depreciation, you've driven 2 cars off a lot, is this concept still new to you?

You told the Apple rep that it started a month ago, why didn't you complain about it then? It just goes to show that it didn't bother you at the time, but it just so happens to bother you enough to complain the day new MacBook Pro's come out. Don't give us this bit about how it's a simple question, you've been an Apple fan long enough (joined Oct 2003) to know how the game works.

Quit your whining and gain some complacency about your FORTUNATE purchase, and grow some dignity instead of thinking that those that can't buy a MacBook Pro don't have jobs, maybe their job doesn't pay well enough to afford one. As for your keyboard, go call Apple and request a repair, and next time wipe the pre-mature seepage off your keyboard when you're done with yourself.

18. ozziegn macrumors 6502a

ozziegn

these kinds of threads shouldn't be anything new to any one who browses this forum regularly. it's the same old same old. John Doe buys a computer and then Apple introduces something newer and sometimes better two or three months later. then those people start crying and complaining about how bad Apple screwed them and so on and so on and so on.....

and such the circle of life continues. :rolleyes:

19. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

just purchased a refurb SR MBP 2.2 GHZ for $1449, i know iknow this is not the popular move around here, where the newest and shiniest is the in thing..
    but c'mon.. will all your apps stop working bec of the upgrade? if it does, then that validates your NEED for an upgrade.
    i waited too for the upgrade before buying an MBP.. but at the end of the day, my practical side got to me..:D
    the WORLD has so many problems compared to yours! LIVE WITH IT!

20. thumper thread starter macrumors 6502

thumper

Your logic is backwards here, i asked if its possible to exchange and upgrade. i never cried about the space bar, he asked if there was anything wrong with it, and i replied " the space bar is squeaky". it was not my intent
    to even bring it up. i never phoned and said, "my space bar squeaks! i want a new one!" *This is what your implying and its wrong and purposely backwards to make me look bad.

again, it was not my intent to complain about the space bar, i only wanted to asked if i could exchange and upgrade. the rep asked if there was anything wrong with it and the only thing that came to mind was the space bar...

There is no evidence of me "whining" on here. i only asked a question.
    i have never said i was mad, angry or upset. i have kept all my posts
    reasonable and in good manor... i only wish you did the same thing.

You have spun and twisted what ive said for the sole purpose of
    distorting my intent to make me look bad.

its pretty easy to make yourself look good and others look bad if you twist reality to suit your goals.

21. thumper thread starter macrumors 6502

thumper

Sorry, im not crying, not really complaining, and i have never said
    "Apple screwed me"
    this is a straw-man argument so "ozziegn" you have been dismissed
    with your logical fallacies...

BUT, if this is something that is common, how can it be fixed from apples point of view. prices slowly decreasing as updates near? release dates?
    this would be a more constructive post then your Ad hominem and Straw-man fallacies...

I dont even know where to start on this comment... but once i seen "God" in his sig... i knew ... such ignorance and authority could only come from someone who believes in invisible sky daddies...

22. mshedd081 macrumors newbie

I bought the :apple: MBP and it arrived yesterday. Called apple this morning and they were more than happy (spoke w/:apple: Christopher) to return my "opened" MBP and waiving the restocking fee. I was offered 350.00 to keep the same one I already had. I opted for that because I used the edu discount and that means I had about 550 off the price of the MBP total (350 back from apple and 200 off with edu discount). Honestly I could not beat that because I paid less than the refurb price. I am very pleased with my customer service. I know I currently have the less than top of the line MBP but this is all I neeeeed!!!

23. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

oh my!!! that's the Best Deal so far!:D

24. tip macrumors 6502

tip

Seems like the whiners are out in full-force today. :rolleyes:

25. AirmanPika macrumors 6502

AirmanPika

Dude I know some people have been out of line but thats REALLY uncalled for.