Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
The real question is how much they cost for 256 GB, since this thread has to do with the non-existence of a 512 GB upgrade *over* the 256 GB version for under $600. Also, are you referring to general market prices or what Apple pays?

Probably about a $400 retail difference between the 256GB and 512GB version. Apple always charges at least retail price for these things, without taking into account the value of the part you're upgrading from.

I don't think it's an unfair price for the SSD, especially since it's a custom built version to fit in the slim case. They can't just buy ready-made SSDs because they wouldn't fit in such a cramped case.

On the Macbook Air you go from 128GB to 256GB for $300, without a processor upgrade. $500 for 256GB to 512GB plus a CPU bump seems pretty reasonable to me. You'll probably pay at least that much for a third party SSD upgrade in the future.

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
$500 for 256GB to 512GB plus a CPU bump seems pretty reasonable to me. You'll probably pay at least that much for a third party SSD upgrade in the future.

I think you got the number wrong: the upgrade is actually $600, from $2,199 to $2,799. Anandtech also got the price of his test model wrong saying it was $2,699 when it really is $2,799.

Given how much the tiny upgrade from 2.6 GHz to 2.7 GHz costs ($250), I think it's safe to say that at least $250 of the upgrade from the base model goes toward the processor bump from 2.3 GHz to 2.6 GHz. Which leaves us with the open question why there is no $350 upgrade from 256 GB SSD to 512 GB SSD. So far, the only real argument for its non-existence I've seen came from eron.

eron

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2008
but my question is .... will they also offer in store upgrades of the existing 256 GB modules? It seems easy from a tech perspective, doesn't it?

I don't think Apple offers in-store upgrade for they regular MBPs? At least I haven't read/heard anyone doing so, partly because HDD prices are cheaper elsewhere, and it's an easy DIY upgrade.

As for paying Apple to upgrade your drive, from an AppleCare/Store perspective, I think it's possible. Expect to pay more than the $500 (upgrade price) though. It would be a direct replacement from your own pocket. It's a simple as replacing a faulty SSD, but from your own pocket.

Quite simply, if you want it, you should be able to order it, pay dearly for it, and you can have it. Though it will probably cost more than going for the up-speced rMBP. So you might be better off selling your base model and getting a new up-speced one!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.