Will Apple release a fix for the iPad 3's warmth/heat?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by xelaetaks, Mar 22, 2012.

1. xelaetaks macrumors member

Just wondering what you think?

Not saying it is even an issue but noticed quite a few articles seem to be out today saying how the new iPad gets much hotter than the previous ones.

Do you guys think Apple might address this somehow with future shipments or software updates, if it is possible?

:apple:

2. LanEvo macrumors 6502

If you read the current article, many sites are now refuting it saying it was an veer exaggeration. It really isn't "hot" , lukewarm at best.

3. Batavian macrumors 6502

Batavian

I'd be curious to see what article you're referring to. Consumer Reports says it does get hot.

4. ucdesai macrumors newbie

Even if they decide to fix, it will be software fix. From what I have read it is mostly playing graphics intensive games. It can also be fixed if developers modify their code to take advantage of quad core gpu efficiently.

5. Menge macrumors 6502a

Menge

There's no heat problem. It goes to 34 degrees C. That's lower than your body's central temperature (although a little bit higher than your hands' temperature which is why it's felt "warm").

I hate sensationalist reports.

6. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

If you think the iPad is hot, you should see my fanless computer. The entire thing is a giant heatsink and reaches scorching temperatures. I think the 2012 iPad is doing quite well even with games that are pushing the limits. I do think however that some of these games could benefit from trimming some unneeded polygons that aren't going to matter. There's a texture engine for a reason. Companies should focus on making high end textures to fit the polygons.

7. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

consumer reports....

8. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Yes they will. In approximately one year.

If you get my drift.

9. GraphicsGeek macrumors 6502a

There's a difference between getting hot and being warmer than the iPad 2. There is no heat issue. That's like saying a 70 degree day is scorching just because the previous day was 50 degrees.

10. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

You keep reading consumer reports. That'll do you a lot of good with your future purchases.

11. Lukeyy19, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012

Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

you guys know its a good thing it gets warmer right? the older A4 and A5 chips had a plastic shell that contained the heat, the new A5X uses a metal heat sink to disperse the heat into the outer shell, keeping the inside cooler and running more efficiently.

12. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

Consumer Reports rated it at over 46 degrees C while plugged in, which is higher than your body's central temperature. But still not an issue, I sure as hell hope Apple doesn't slow down the GPU to fix this.

13. zigzagg321 macrumors 6502

Im usure as to how any company could employ a fix for something that isn't broken.

14. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Yes, Consumer Reports said that.......sort of. The headline said that it gets hot. The actual article just says that it gets warmer and the FAQ about their tests says that the heat difference is nothing that will change their recommendation about the iPad.

And now there are a lot of sites refuting it. And there are a lot of users confirming that this is a bunch of BS. I'll go one step further for you. Most of the "complaints" that users are posting that supposedly sparked this CR article are just statements that it runs warmer. CR turned it into "overheating".

There will be no fix issued because there doesn't need to be. This is more ill intentioned press and something really needs to be done about it.

15. Menge macrumors 6502a

Menge

16. Karmak macrumors member

No. The New iPad is cooler than the average human body temp and a lot cooler than a "laptop".

17. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

18. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

From what I rad, consumer reports said that it was warmer but still within reason and nothing to worry about.

19. Mrg02d macrumors 65816

Heat? I'm used to it. You guys that thin its hot need to hold my android phone. I have an Htc sensation that gets dangerously hot. They all do. It's a dual core phone with high resolution screen.

Matt

20. bkitchen0406 macrumors member

Stop with the stupid heat issue posts

The PS3, mac mini and other devices get crazy hot compared to the iPad, not to mention the chipset in the iPad can handle way more heat then this. This is a non issue. Might be a bonus in the winter lol.

21. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

No, because it is impossible to address a problem that doesnt exist.

22. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

I think this is so funny... My MBP right now has its CPU, GPU, and GPU Diode all running about 130 degrees F, or 54 degrees C.

If the iPad is running at 46 degrees C, then I am quite happy.

BTW, I have not noticed ANY increase in warmth from my iPad.

23. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

I used to trust Consumer Reports until they started selling ads to the same companies whose products they rate...

24. bufffilm macrumors 601

bufffilm

yes, it is possible and Apple will be addressing the heat issue in a future shipment...
    it will be called the ipad 4. :D