Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will Apple remove the ads from Shazam?

• Yes (or likely)

Votes: 15 60.0%
  • No (or unlikely)

Votes: 10 40.0%

• Total voters

rsdotscot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Scotland
Now that Apple owns Shazam, do we think they'll remove the ads from the free iOS app? There aren't any ads in the free macOS app, so I'm hoping they strip them on iOS.

rsdotscot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Scotland
How will Shazam make money if they remove the ads?
Who says it has to make money? Also, having ads in an app which Apple owns completely feels like it cheapens the experience, and we know how much they dislike any of their products appearing cheap.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Who says it has to make money?
Umm, shareholders

Apple didn't spend 400 million dollars just to remove ads.

I believe Apple bought Shazim to improve the UX of apple music, so I think at some point the app itself will disappear - just my $.02

Reactions: steve62388

rsdotscot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Scotland
Umm, shareholders

Apple didn't spend 400 million dollars just to remove ads.

I believe Apple bought Shazim to improve the UX of apple music, so I think at some point the app itself will disappear - just my $.02
Since when did Apple bow to shareholders? One of Apple’s most used services (iCloud) is free to use without ads after previously existing as a paid service. Okay there’s an upgrade scheme, but I’d imagine the vast majority of users are still using their initial 5GB allocation.

AmpSkillz

macrumors regular
Shazam will drive revenue to iTunes & Apple Music or its technology will be integrated into those apps so no, it does not need to generate money independently once apple aquires it.

My guess is that advertisements will be removed and it will become much more efficient at driving revenue for Apple Music.

lunarworks

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Toronto, Canada
I forgot Shazam even has ads. As one of my most used apps, I bought the paid version years and years ago.

But ya, they'll be gone. It won't need to generate a profit on its own once it moves to Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.