Will Apple Replace Cracked Screen Under Warranty?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by EdBanger37, Aug 15, 2011.

1. EdBanger37 macrumors newbie

I dropped my ipod touch 4G three feet from the ground in a case. The case snapped and the ipod fell out, and the screen cracked. I bought Applecare on the device so I know it's definately under warranty. I did some googling and found conflicting information about whether it would be covered or not.

Thanks for any help!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Generally no.

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

It's not covered, but if you look around enough on the internet you will find people who got a nice genius to replace it anyway.

4. EdBanger37 thread starter macrumors newbie

I was hoping that buying applecare would have been able to guarentee its replacement. I don't live particularly close to an Apple Store (~45 minutes), so I wanted to make sure there was a decent chance that I could get it replaced before I drove down there. I think I will try anyway.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Once you tell them you dropped it they are going to stonewall you. At least you'll be at the store to buy a new iPod.

6. Corridore macrumors newbie

Probably depends on where you go. I went to a local mall's Apple Store when I dropped and cracked my iPhone 3G screen. Can't remember if I got a new iPhone or just had my screen replaced, but I didn't have to pay to fix it since it was under warranty. I'm sure you'll find it both ways depending on what store you go to.

7. EdBanger37 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for everyone who answered my question so quickly. Gonna try and head down there now and see if I luck out or not

8. LeighAnna Jones macrumors 6502

If you say you dropped it, they probably won't cover it and they'll ignore any more efforts you try to. If you want any chance of getting it replaced, you'll have to tell them it cracked under humidity/climate change. They probably won't believe you on that, either, because that hardly ever happens.

So when you go, choose a nice, fat guy that looks friendly to talk to at the genius bar. If no fat guys, stick to the nice rule.

Good luck!

9. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

I'm not sure if you've already left, but generally it would be a no. However, you could get it replaced if you had a warranty of sorts that specifically specified that accidents are covered.

10. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

There's been many stories of people getting free replacements. Just tell them what you told us in the OP and wish for the best.

11. skasol macrumors 6502

For future reference. Best buy covers accidental damage. Ur cracked iPod touch would have been replaced.