Will Apple Replace My Hard Drive For the SECOND Time?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by antdgar, Jan 11, 2009.

1. antdgar macrumors member

I bought my white 'old' macbook from Apple on October 2007.

The hard drive died in March 2008. Apple replaced it under the 1 year warranty (I didn't buy Apple Care).

The hard drive just died AGAIN (January 2009)

Normally my warranty would have ran from Oct 2007 to Oct 2008.

Will Apple replace the hard drive for free?

I thought there's extra time added to the warranty because the same part (hard disk) was faulty before, and was replaced...?!

I appreciate your comments.

2. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Not too sure. It's alway worth it to take it to the Genius Bar just too see.
    Often it depends on the genius you get.

3. danvan21 macrumors regular

Same thing happened to a friend, they replaced it.

4. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

I believe there's 90 days warranty on replacement parts, but it's worth a shot. They're probably going to over charge you since you are out of warranty, so you'd be better off buying a new drive from Newegg or something.

5. hlr element macrumors member

Well, when i had a ibook G3, i had the harddrive replaces probably 4 times... they replaced basically everything in that thing but the case because they couldn't figure out what was wrong. I think once the warranty was over but i don't live anywhere near a apple store so i talked to the guy, said i don't live around here so i don't drive the 2 1/2 hour drive often and you didn't fix the problem last time obviously. So they agreed to replace it again.

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

You *might* get it replaced seeing has you had a previous HDD failure. However, it's best you buy a new HDD and install it yourself. This way, you can buy a juicer HDD or faster HDD. Oh and BTW, try to see if you can add AppleCare on the MacBook, AppleCare is really handy and has great service