Will Apple Replace My iPhone 4? PLEASE HELP ME!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by NikkoCee20, Jul 10, 2012.

1. NikkoCee20 macrumors newbie

So here's my situation, I bought an iPhone 4 off of eBay a few months ago. The phone has been working flawlessly until yesterday. I woke up in the morning and turned on my iPhone and it said "no sim card installed." This use to happen around once a month prior to yesterday, but this time everything I did to get my iPhone to read my sim card didn't work. I tried ejecting the sim card and putting it back in the phone, I tried turning airplane mode off and on, I tried hard resetting the phone, and the last thing I tried was restoring the iPhone to factory settings. And now since I restored it to factory settings I can't do anything since it needs a valid sim card to activate the iPhone, and it won't read any sim card. I've tried putting my sim card in my sisters iPhone and it works fine in hers and I've tried putting her sime card in my phone but it doesn't want to read any sim card.

So I came to the conclusion that the sim card reader or whatever inside my iPhone is broken. The iPhone is out of warranty, but the issue is I'm not entirely sure if the previous owner of the phone opened it up. I'm willing to pay the $149 for the replacement iPhone. If the phone was opened up does that make the iPhone ineligible for the out of warrant replacement phone? Will they know if it's been opened up? Please help me, any of your input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

It will be the same cost. Warranty is nulled if the iPhone is opened outside allowed Apple channels.

So, out of warranty charges will still be the same.

3. NikkoCee20 thread starter macrumors newbie

What do you mean by "outside Apple channels." Sorry I'm fairly new to the Apple company.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Authorized Apple repair centers are authorized channels.

Some random dude on Craigslist is not, for instance.

5. NikkoCee20 thread starter macrumors newbie

So it being opened by a third party doesn't make me ineligible for an out of warranty replacement iPhone?

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

If someone outside the authorized channels opens an iPhone that has warranty, the warranty automatically ends there.

That means, it is an out of warranty iPhone and Apple will charge you as an out-of-warranty repair. Simple as that.

7. NikkoCee20 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh okay, thank you very much for your responses. It's just because I read another thread on here, that had the iPhone user bring in their phone for the out of warranty replacement and they were declined the replacement because the phone had been opened.

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Thats ridiculous, unless the poster was trying to do everything using warranty. Just state you bought it of ebay already out of warranty and want it repaired. Obviously Apple won't repair it, they'll just give you a refurb unit.

9. NikkoCee20 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay will do that, thank you very much for your responses, I've been worrying about this almost all day today

10. xpected_one macrumors regular

xpected_one

Before I would pay for a replacement I would go to ATT (assuming its ATT due to the sim) and request a new sim card. Its free and it may be the culprit. I had a faulty sim that just started not allowing me to access data. We tried every fix, popped in a new sim and it has been perfect ever since.

11. emily45 macrumors newbie

I'd say try a new sim first, just in case and then just call apple and explain! Any chance anyone can help me? Help with replacement? Don't want to mess this up!
    Okay hi guys! First time posting on this page and I'm just looking for some advice really! So basically my iPhone 4 was stolen but luckily I had insurance and got a replacement one sent to me through the insurance company. Not so luckily, the replacement phone was faulty and had loads of weird techy issues! (microphone wont work, can't go onto the Internet even when I have credit, won't sync properly to iTunes, and I swear it's deleting songs off itself!) So obviously I called the apple helpline to report it and they said that I was guaranteed a repair or replacement under my warranty, which is great. So I was waiting for them to send me out a box so I could send my iPhone back to them when I dropped it! And now there's a little crack on the top left hand corner just over the camera! Is my warranty now void because of this crack? Like will they just look at the crack straight away in the repair centre and say that thats the problem? Is there anyway I can prove that the drop has nothing to do with the problems? And sorry this is so long but last question! What is the best way to go about getting my replacement? It's just I really can't afford to pay anything for repairs and this should be covered my warranty! I'm just worried the crack is going to damage my request! Anyone have anything similar to them happen or am I just really unlucky? Thanks anyways guys and sorry for boring you with my rant!

12. NikkoCee20 thread starter macrumors newbie

*update*

I went to the Apple store today to try and get my replacement iPhone and I was denied the replacement. The "genius" told me that the iPhone had been tampered with and wasn't eligible for the out of warranty replacement. The sim isn't the problem, the problem is the sim card reader inside the phone itself. So now I'm stuck with this phone. I'm just going to try and sell it for parts or whatever. Just very disappointed I wasn't able to get my replacement and I've been out of a phone for over two weeks now.