Will Apple Replace My MagSafe, or Am I Just Wasting My Time?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by appleguy123, Jun 9, 2010.

1. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I left my MagSafe under a blanket and it got really hot. To the point where I wouldn't want to touch it. Since then the wire that goes from the power convertor to my Mac has been pulling out farther. I can now see the little steel wires that insulate the power supply to my Mac. Will Apple replace it or will they say that it's my fault (which it sort of is).
    Thanks for your replies.

2. RayK macrumors 6502

I've left my laptop on the bed charging and never had this problem. I would definitely call them, I think they would replace it.

3. Tomb01 macrumors 6502

I went to a Genius for an unrelated problem, and while there asked about the same issue (the cover coming out of the base, showing the metal wire). He fixed my other problem, then replaced the power supply. Not sure if it was an official thing, or he was just a nice person (though a lot of the folks at the Apple stores seem to be 'nice people'). He did not indicate it was a safety risk, but I would suggest you make an appointment, be nice, and just say you are worried about it.

4. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

That is maybe not related to the heating of the magsafe, so make an appointment and tell the genius your concern...

5. ClassicII macrumors 6502

ClassicII

Give it a shot, just tell them the truth that the wire has started to slowly come out of the unit. See what they say, as you can only try.

6. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

I'm using a Hong Kong knockoff that I bought off Ebay for like 10 bucks, shipped. Been going strong for like 3 months now. Always plugged in.
    I'll let you know if it blows up.

7. ClassicII macrumors 6502

ClassicII

I just wish the hong kong ones had the changing orange and green light.

8. TxMacAddict macrumors 6502

If you are within your first year or have Apple Care I'm willing to bet they will replace it for you no charge. If you can just go to an Apple Store and get it swapped out on the spot. Tell them you are concerned about your safety using an electrical cord that is falling apart. They did it for my unibody MBP after my girlfriends adapter somehow starting coming apart.

9. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

10. puma1552 macrumors 601

[​IMG]

is this what youre talking about? this literally just started happening to mine today.

11. apple.gr macrumors regular

If your computer is covered under the one year of warranty they definately will replace it for you!

12. bbtrinet macrumors member

This has happened to me twice and is a known problem. Apple would not replace mine as they were 3+ years old.

The reason this usually happens is that the cord is put into a bag or somehow the cord just coming out of the converter is at a sharp angle causing the cord to bend more than it was designed to at the joint, causing the fraying.

That's what the little wing things that pop out on the converter are for. Pull those out and wrap the cord around it being sure that you first let the cord go straight for the first inch. I had no idea until an Apple Genius showed me.

It's still a poorly designed converter. You shouldn't be forced to wrap the cord around those wing things so that the converter doesn't break.

Like this:
    [​IMG]

13. mousouchop macrumors 6502a

mousouchop

Why shouldn't you be "forced" to wrap the cord around those wings... they were included with the cost of the adapter, not like you have to buy them extra. I have always wrapped mine on the pull out prongs with a 1" loose loop first... just kinda common sense seeing the stress it puts on the cables without first making the loop. >.>

14. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

15. puma1552 macrumors 601

I just called AppleCare Japan about 5 minutes ago. Within 2 minutes I was off the phone with a new one in the mail. I just called and said the wire was pulling out of the base on my magsafe, exposing the wires, and he was like "oh no!" and then checked that I had AppleCare and said "yep we'll send that out to you today, you'll get it in about 4 days"

easy peasy, no hassle, no deliberating, no accusations of user damage.

try calling them, always seems to get good results.:)

16. AbjectEvolution macrumors 6502

I think this is a perhaps a general issue with Apple cables. My charging cable for my iphone is shredding all over the place with exposed wire and my wife's is starting to as well. With those cables, it looks like they last about a year before needing to be replaced.

17. puma1552 macrumors 601

also does anyone know, will the replacement be refurbished or new?

18. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

Called Apple and a super nice person answered. My new power adaptor is getting shipped to me free via fedex overnight. I love Apple!

19. Reapur macrumors regular

The trick is to not tell them what you did, just say the adapter got super hot to the touch, you dont know why, and now the wire is coming loose. If the computer is still under warranty then the Apple store should most likely give you an over the counter exchange for it.

Never admit its your fault, unless its obvious like a cracked display or liquid damage. If they cant prove its miss use and abuse then they are obligated to replace it under warranty. If you want to be totally honest then you can pay for a new one.

20. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

I told him the truth. It was replaced. I'm not going to lie to save $80 , some things are more important than money.

21. Reapur macrumors regular

Its not lying unless you dont tell the truth you, can omit the part about not knowing why it got like that, if they ask you if you did something wrong feel free to tell them. Withholding some of the information is not lying. Besides I highly doubt the heat from the adapter was responsible for the cable coming out. Most likely a coincidence, and if thats the case then normal ware and tear are covered under the manufacturers warranty.

Anyways good that they replaced it for you free of charge, vast majority of manufacturers would make you pay for the new part + shipping. Good on Apple.

22. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

At any rate, the point is moot since he's getting a new one. :D

23. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

I bought a brand new one from Best Buy and it started to show wires (like the photo posted) in just over a week. I seriously did not do anything to the adapter. Worried, I went back to Best Buy and they quickly replaced it. I asked about the wires showing and they told me that they have been told by Apple to replace anything wrong with the adapter unless it looks like abuse.

The whole process took like 5 min.

Both my original and this one have not had anything go wrong with them. The wires showing problem has not appeared on these.

To be honest, I thought the wires showing was more a manufacturing defect than something I did.

-P

24. Psychmike macrumors regular

Ahh, another future lawyer!

Your parents must be very proud of your values. I'm sure your kids are going to grow up to be outstanding citizens.

25. Reapur macrumors regular

I dont see your point, the hardware and accessories have a WARRANTY on them. Use it, if you think your not paying for the manufacturer warranty in the original price of the computer you are sadly mistaken.

Warranty is not something free that the makers of products just give you. You most certainly are paying for it in the price of the machine. Any subsequent coverage you want is called Apple Care which you can pay a premium for at your own discretion. But hey if you would rather fork out 80 dollars plus taxes for a new one, which for many people is an entire days work then be my guest.

To me my ethics are sound and trust me I dont have a hard time sleeping at night.