Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Good for you. That doesn't mean other people where not using the ports. I use the SD card slot as a semi internal storage space effectively going from 128GB to 256GB of storage. I use the HDMI for testing the transmitters and receivers at job sites to make sure they are active. I use the USB A connector for connecting to the equipment to set up the components.

In one foul swoop, all of those ports are gone, and the new MacBook Pro no longer meets my needs. News flash Apple, you don't dictate to me what ports I use. The machines I work on dictate the ports I need. If you drop the ports on your machines I will be forced to find another brand that puts the ports on their machine and use them instead ... which is everyone else.

In effect, previously Apple was dictating which ports everyone used. Few of the ports on the old machines had dual purpose - so those chosen by Apple were what everyone got. HDMI on a laptop is a sign to me that it's not a serious work machine, because displayport has been the business standard for years. DisplayPort could be easily adapted to HDMI or VGA. Not so with HDMI. Thunderbolt 3 is a further refinement of that type of port. You need HDMI now? Buy a new cable. No dongle required.

Anyone who is doing serious work on a computer will have a bag of adapters they carry with them. All that changes with these new devices is that you need some new cables - just as has been happening repeatedly since the dawn of the computer.

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
In one foul swoop, all of those ports are gone, and the new MacBook Pro no longer meets my needs. News flash Apple, you don't dictate to me what ports I use. The machines I work on dictate the ports I need.
You are saying that Apple doesn't dictate what ports you use, and that's exactly what is happening with the MacBook Pro. Instead of limiting users to one HDMI port and only two USB ports, every user now has four USB ports that can do everything the old ones could. I don't think there has been a point in the history of mobile commuting where we've had so much freedom to choose what the ports on our computers do.

rtr1985

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
So simple: if you don't like the port offerings, and are that connected to your old ports, and are that stubborn to use an adapter/cable/dongle, then don't buy it. Some posters seem like they are entitled to a MBP tailored to their exact desires. On the other hand, some people like new standards (e.g., USB-C) being adopted early. It causes other companies to abandon all the old bull crap.

Same with the RAM issues: if you can wait another 12 months for a 32GB RAM MBP, then you don't really need a 32GB RAM MBP today. And if you do need it, there are non-Apple-32GB laptops you can buy. When the MBP line is refreshed, I can guarantee that you will get one of the "Best Available Chips," but there will also be the "Soon Available Newest Chip," on the horizon. It could have been included if Apple had just waited another three to six months on top of the previous twelve months. I can also guarantee at least one laptop will have the "Soon Available Newest Chip" before Apple implements it.

dingdong

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2007
They won't update these Macbook 'pros' until the end of next year the very earliest. Apple have clearly no love for MacBooks anymore.

Reactions: MacBH928

dingdong

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2007
What makes you say that? They just released a bunch of new ones, and an entirely new one not long ago (12" MacBook).

I was talking about Macbook 'Pro's' in general but yes even those Macbook's with butterfly keyboard and specs are torrid if you compare the market. You know what everyone's gonna jump ship if Apple are going the way their going with their current laptop lineup.

Reactions: The Mercurian

harleymax

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2016
Will Apple release an updated version of the Macbook Pro that can have 32GB of RAM and the new processing chips? And when could this happen?

Barnfather

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2009
UK
They will update sometime next year with improved CPU and Memory options (although the memory will be as an expensive option). Pricing *may* reduce, but given how things are in the UK at the moment with the pound, post-Brexit, I wouldn't even rule out a price increase for UK users if things keep sliding.

Zero chance of the ports coming back, and as others have said, the new ports offer far more flexibility than before.

Reactions: chabig

protoxx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2013
HDMI on a laptop is a sign to me that it's not a serious work machine, because displayport has been the business standard for years.

Nearly every conference room I've been in for years has had HDMI hookups for the viewing monitors. I can't think of one that had a Display Port cable.

Reactions: hippielover

Balaamsdonkey

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2008
Washington
. It just depends on intel's release cycle.

BAH! Stop being such an Apple apologist, you fanboy.
[doublepost=1478562629][/doublepost]
In one foul swoop,

I can't tell if this is a gaff or paronomasia. . .

News flash Apple, you don't dictate to me what ports I use.

Actually, you've not had the ability to pick and choose the ports in any Apple laptop computers for as long as I can remember. There might have been a time when you could add or take out a port, but I can't remember them.

It helps arguments when you calm down some and think clearly about why you're angry.

Last edited:
Reactions: chabig

EnderBeta

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2016
In effect, previously Apple was dictating which ports everyone used. Few of the ports on the old machines had dual purpose - so those chosen by Apple were what everyone got. HDMI on a laptop is a sign to me that it's not a serious work machine, because displayport has been the business standard for years. DisplayPort could be easily adapted to HDMI or VGA. Not so with HDMI. Thunderbolt 3 is a further refinement of that type of port. You need HDMI now? Buy a new cable. No dongle required.

Anyone who is doing serious work on a computer will have a bag of adapters they carry with them. All that changes with these new devices is that you need some new cables - just as has been happening repeatedly since the dawn of the computer.
BAH! Stop being such an Apple apologist, you fanboy.
[doublepost=1478562629][/doublepost]

I can't tell if this is a gaff or paronomasia. . .

Actually, you've not had the ability to pick and choose the ports in any Apple laptop computers for as long as I can remember. There might have been a time when you could add or take out a port, but I can't remember them.

It helps arguments when you calm down some and think clearly about why you're angry.

It's gaff. I had plenty ability to choose. The ports matched up with what I needed so I bought the machine. The ports no longer match up with what I need so I won't buy the new one and look elsewhere finding a perfect machine in the Razer Blade Pro. It has a mobile GTX 1080, high resolution screen, Thunderbolt 3, and USB 3.1.

To everyone saying go buy the dongles ... you buy dongles. I'll buy a better machine that suits my needs. I'm not going to pretend the naked emperor has cloths on.

jackoatmon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2011
i heard the processor is so slow that under heavy load it actually starts going backwards and uncomputing things you've already computed meaning that theoretically if they were all on at once computer-time would start going backwards and eventually computers won't have been invented in the first place and I never wrote this and you're not reading it.

Balaamsdonkey

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2008
Washington
It's gaff.
That's too bad. That would have been a fun paronomasia.

I had plenty ability to choose.

No you didn't You chose the machine that Apple created that had particular ports. You didn't, in the BTO section say, "I want this port, and that port, oh, and that one there. . . " You chose a machine that happen to have the ports you liked. Apple dictated the choice.

To everyone saying go buy the dongles ... you buy dongles.
And we will.

I'll buy a better machine that suits my needs.
You do that. Enjoy the new machine you get. Honest. I think "better machine" is subjective. I'd think you could objectively acknowledge that, but maybe not.

I'm not going to pretend the naked emperor has cloths on.
GOT EM!

bmustaf

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
Telluride, CO
I don't think the ports are the issue with this machine, it uses almost a year old processor (6th gen Intel prods, really? I Know the 7th gen aren't shipping in volume, but that means that this update was a year late). DDR3? Seriously? Yawn.

The ports are frankly GREAT, they enable so much, USB-C to nearly anything exists as a smooth, nice, and relatively affordable non-proprietary cable (you're buying a MBP, I don't give much credence to the whining about 30-50 dollar cables).

wegster

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2006
Withdraw or re-design significantly?
Highly unlikely. (PS - most online sales for something only available online = not necessarily so impressive).

Will they add upgraded specs and sort how to offer a 32GB RAM option? Yes. When remains TBD but hopefully in 2017.

I expect to see Pencil support added to the Trackpad, and Apple will probably see how the TouchBar develops, then possibly push the Touchbar to all models if they really want to spur 3rd party dev.

Likely price drop, and finally, possibly additional screen upgrades to come, but unlikely on this one in the next revision.

Will be evaluating on whichever model they offer the RAM upgrade then either buy then, or hold off for one more refresh depending on rest of overall machine and 2TB SSD cost.

gazzamac

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2010
i heard the processor is so slow that under heavy load it actually starts going backwards and uncomputing things you've already computed meaning that theoretically if they were all on at once computer-time would start going backwards and eventually computers won't have been invented in the first place and I never wrote this and you're not reading it.

Thank you for lightening the tone and making me smile amongst this metaphorical sea of doom.
I think you should have posted on machumour.com though ......:)

EnderBeta

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2016
Sorry I'm not going to take the time to properly format the response bit by bit. It's getting late and I'm trying to finish up a tech demo for tomorrow.

I'm not exactly sure what kind of play on words I could have ambled upon but do enlighten us as it could prove amusing.

My MacBook Pro is the base 13". Regardless of if I chose the specific port compliment the machine was equipped with I still made the conscious decision to pick the machine. Trust me, if the machine was as it is today when I bought mine I would not have purchased it. Hence I picked it.

You better take real good care of your dongles. It's not like Apple's cable history doesn't have a reputation for having horrible heat shrink that doesn't cover the cable properly and cause exposed wires and shorts on things like $60+ power supplies let alone cables and adapters. There was a time when Apple would have made fun of the PC market for dongles.

A better machine is not subjective. It is relative to the goal of the machine. However in this case the CPU is old, the RAM amount is low, the RAM is out dated, the storage is putting an over emphasis on speed to capacity and as a result pricing the machine out of the market and focused entirely too much on being thin to the expense of performance, heat dissipation and capability. When did the MacBook Pro become a MacBook (the mobile one) Pro?

Reactions: Wackery

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
Apple did bring the buttons back on the iPod Shuffle. They won't do anything until the next update.

protoxx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2013
New model lineup

MacBook 12" $1299 Replaces MacBook Air 11" $1099 $200 price increase
11" w/256gb Priced as remaining 13" Air
MacBook Pro FB $1499 Replaces MacBook Air 13" $1199 $300 price increase
MacBook Pro TB 13" $1799 Replaces MacBook Pro Retna $1499 $300 price increase (still on website)
MacBook Pro TB 15" $2399 Replaces MacBook Pro Retna $1999 $400 price increase (Still on website)

Moore's law made computing cheaper
Cook's law made computing more expensive.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
New model lineup

MacBook 12" $1299 Replaces MacBook Air 11" $999 $300 price increase 11" w/256gb Priced as remaining 13" Air
MacBook Pro FB $1499 Replaces MacBook Air 13" $1199 $300 price increase
MacBook Pro TB 13" $1799 Replaces MacBook Pro Retna $1499 $300 price increase (still on website)
MacBook Pro TB 15" $2399 Replaces MacBook Pro Retna $1999 $400 price increase (Still on website)

Moore's law made computing cheaper
Cook's law made computing more expensive.

Cook's Law, I like that. Not the law, but the expression.

Compute hasn't changed from late 2013- base 2016 in benchmarks, (13 inch)

dallas112678

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
Given how much backlash the Macbook Pro got in its first 10 days, Apple might not withdraw it per se, but they could release an "updated" model within 6 to 12 months with higher specs, more ports, and lower price?

This is what happened with the G4 Cube. It was an engineering marvel at the time, but high price , hard to upgrade, lower specs, and form over function made Apple discontinue it. Is the MBP 2016 going to face the same fate? Or will Apple continue to force their customers to adopt it?

Share your thoughts.

The thing is, what can they upgrade it with? I doubt we will see a new update until they can put new CPU's in. I.E. I doubt they will introduce a new model with only upgraded RAM or upgraded GPU. The thing is, the only future intel processor suitable for the 15" MBP doesn't come out for quite some time. There are no high performance 45W processors (what are in the 15" mbp) for Kaby Lake. Cannon Lake follows and is a 10nm shrink, but still because of yields there won't be any high performance processors. The next time we'll see a ~45W high performance 4/6 core processor will be in coffee lake which is in 2018...

I think we will see price cuts, but I don't think they'll update until coffee lake rolls around.

Reactions: myscrnnm

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I don't think they will withdraw it but I think gen 2 will have some welcome changes,

maybe not USBA, but a cheaper price, more up to date proc, MAYBE more key travel and a gen3 butterfly,

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Doubt anything will change, this change for the 15" MacBook Pro brings it in line with some of the other product lines with an entry level legacy machine.

The old legacy port mid-2015 machine will likely be around a couple/few years offering legacy ports for those that need them.

The 2012 13" MacBook Pro legacy machine just faded away as it was replaced by the 13" legacy port model. So no more built-in optical drive and spinning HD for this that want them in the 13" MacBook.

This Christmas how many people are going to unwrap a brand new 2012 13" MacBook Pro their parents bought for $600-750.

And in 2018, how many people will get a brand new mid-2015 15" MacBook Pro when they head off to college?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.