Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I'm not missing that.

You need to realize that in the AV world Crestron Digital Media is king right now with AMX trailing behind with some cool stuff as well. These two companies use HDMI right now. That could change in a few years but with the 4K transmitters and receivers being relatively new it will probably be in 2 to 5 years. This is well past the life cycle of a typical consumer laptop.

Beyond that, AV systems are not designed around professional level laptops. AV systems are designed around laptops that end users tend to bring into an office. Machines with display port are being converted to HDMI. Machines with Thunderbolt are being converted to HDMI. That is just the way it is right now. My opinion will change if and when Crestron and AMX release updated IO cards, receivers and transmitters that provide for new technologies.

In the mean time the choice of Thunderbolt 3 only on the MacBook comes off as cost savings for the manufacturer, then gouging on selling the adapters to the customer for additional money in addition to the already increased price on the laptop.

Now the users have to remember to bring a dongle. That is one more thing to forget and only serves to increase the complexity of the user experience for who are by definition as end users, typically not of a technical background. They won't think much about not having a dongle until they need it and then it will blow up in their faces. Pray it isn't a CEO looking like a fool or heads will roll.

HDMI to VGA does work. I won't go into details on the client but they where given a mandate that all C series codecs would be kicked off the network. The client purchased SX series codecs to replace their C series codecs. They are still using VGA based Enova switchers because they don't have the budgeted money to upgrade the switching infrastructure at this time. I got a SX80 to route through a VGA connection with the 15 pin connector and the RGBHV BNC connectors. So yes HDMI to VGA is possible with some caveats.

Who is talking about a world that is AV specific? Only you.

That's the point. For you HDMI is the most common. For others it's VGA. For others it's displayport or DVI. A laptop is not a wholly custom device - they have to be designed to accommodate all manner of use cases. Thunderbolt 3 today, and DisplayPort before that, is more flexible than HDMI. I never said that HDMI to VGA didn't work - only that the conversion was an active one dependent on the quality of the adapter - backed up by the paragraph you had to write to qualify your statement.

EnderBeta

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2016
Who is talking about a world that is AV specific? Only you.

That's the point. For you HDMI is the most common. For others it's VGA. For others it's displayport or DVI. A laptop is not a wholly custom device - they have to be designed to accommodate all manner of use cases. Thunderbolt 3 today, and DisplayPort before that, is more flexible than HDMI. I never said that HDMI to VGA didn't work - only that the conversion was an active one dependent on the quality of the adapter - backed up by the paragraph you had to write to qualify your statement.

Ok be incompatible with everything. Ignore experts and then when you are trying to connect to a projector or LCD in your office and you have to use an adapter you will remember what I said today.

You called HDMI to VGA flaky. That is the same as saying it doesn't work all the time which is the same as saying it doesn't work. Say what you mean.

Reactions: Ulenspiegel

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Ok be incompatible with everything. Ignore experts and then when you are trying to connect to a projector or LCD in your office and you have to use an adapter you will remember what I said today.

You called HDMI to VGA flaky. That is the same as saying it doesn't work all the time which is the same as saying it doesn't work. Say what you mean.

I mean because the only thing that a laptop user ever wants to connect to is the projector in a conference room right? HDMI boxes you into a corner. Thunderbolt 3 gives you options.

And I said exactly what I meant. I don't see how you can honestly think that 'it doesn't work all of the time' is equivalent to 'it doesn't work...' Basic English here.

idunn

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2008
Given how much backlash the Macbook Pro got in its first 10 days, Apple might not withdraw it per se, but they could release an "updated" model within 6 to 12 months with higher specs, more ports, and lower price?

This is what happened with the G4 Cube. It was an engineering marvel at the time, but high price , hard to upgrade, lower specs, and form over function made Apple discontinue it. Is the MBP 2016 going to face the same fate? Or will Apple continue to force their customers to adopt it?

Share your thoughts.

I do not foresee such an eventuality in six months, and likely not 12. Possibly never and one has to accept that the 2016 MBP may prove successful, all else Macintosh devolving along those lines.

No doubt the 2016 model will prove notable, if perhaps in the end not for the reasons Apple hoped. It could, as you suggest, to some extent prove their Waterloo—a big mistake.

The question to me is whether Apple's vision of an iOS future is sound, whether the Macintosh is an appendage they can wither and then do without. Maybe, yet my feeling that beyond legacy the Macintosh remains more important for Apple than they presently think. It could all depend on the iPhone, of all things. If they lose their way with that, with iOS in general, then what have they got left? Services? Those are largely dependent upon desirable hardware and a healthy customer base.

My proposition that the Macintosh is the heart and soul of Apple, and however that may change certainly allowed them to this present position. Maybe all iOS is the future and their strategy is sound, the vision correct. But should that waver—they find themselves another HP and but one among many seeking ideas and profits—then every reason to look back to former core values.

That would bode well for a refreshed MBP, possibly one with necessary ports once more and in capability what so many had been waiting for. But probably not until 2018. Such an advent in 2017 would mean their stock taking a dive and serious upset in Cupertino—yet in many respects the best possible outcome, as painful but a correction in time.

Nothing beyond the standard minor upgrades in the next several years, and strong sales, then that we loved and respected likely lost.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
That would bode well for a refreshed MBP, possibly one with necessary ports...
The late 2016 MacBook Pro machines already have four universal connectors, expandable to hundreds of ports--through hubs. They need adapters or cables to connect to legacy peripherals, but they are universal connectors. Apple isn't going to put legacy connectors back.

Reactions: myscrnnm

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
When Apple dropped the floppy disk on the original iMac, there was literally no other way the vast majority of users had to move or backup their data. The options were basically buy an external floppy drive for about $70, or a ZIP disk or equivalent for $200 or more. That same iMac dropped every other legacy port for the then brand-new USB port. Nobody had usb peripherals and adapters were not generally available - especially for a Mac!

You seem to think that Apple has gone off the deep end because you have to buy a couple of inexpensive cables! I'd maintain it's you that is completely out of touch with what makes Apple Apple.

I have talked about this before, I used computers in that era I know what was going on.

1-Floppies were 1.44MB, HDD were 4GB. No one used to backup his 4GB HDD to 1.44 floppies
2-Although some use it, most people owned 1 PC per home, swapping files around was not a common thing, at 1.44MB you can send it over the internet. XOOM.COM provided 5mb of free storage IIRC.
3-CD burners were still not in the market, but they added them next year I believe. You can backup to 700mb.
4-People then did not have peripherals like today. No USB thumbs, multiple HDDs, smartphones, routers (Modem usually built-in), SD cards, and rarely anyone connected 2 screens.

The only port you really needed was the port for the printer if you owned one and many don't to this day, thats why print shop still exists, and many print at college, school, and business centers at hotels.

in 1998, you only needed to connect they keyboard+mouse and there was a headphone jack which did exist.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I have talked about this before, I used computers in that era I know what was going on.

1-Floppies were 1.44MB, HDD were 4GB. No one used to backup his 4GB HDD to 1.44 floppies
2-Although some use it, most people owned 1 PC per home, swapping files around was not a common thing, at 1.44MB you can send it over the internet. XOOM.COM provided 5mb of free storage IIRC.
3-CD burners were still not in the market, but they added them next year I believe. You can backup to 700mb.
4-People then did not have peripherals like today. No USB thumbs, multiple HDDs, smartphones, routers (Modem usually built-in), SD cards, and rarely anyone connected 2 screens.

The only port you really needed was the port for the printer if you owned one and many don't to this day, thats why print shop still exists, and many print at college, school, and business centers at hotels.

in 1998, you only needed to connect they keyboard+mouse and there was a headphone jack which did exist.

I was in college in 1998. Of the 4GB on your hard drive, very little actually needed to be backed up. Most people didn't have music, photos, video, etc. They had documents and spreadsheets and projects, all of which were easily backed up in that 1.44MB. Anyone who was in school or work at that time needed to move documents back and forth between those two locations because few people had laptops, and a floppy was the only way to do it. CD burners came a year or two later, but were hundreds of dollars for the internal models to fit PC's. How much do you think an external model, compatible with a Mac was?

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
I was in college in 1998. Of the 4GB on your hard drive, very little actually needed to be backed up. Most people didn't have music, photos, video, etc. They had documents and spreadsheets and projects, all of which were easily backed up in that 1.44MB. Anyone who was in school or work at that time needed to move documents back and forth between those two locations because few people had laptops, and a floppy was the only way to do it. CD burners came a year or two later, but were hundreds of dollars for the internal models to fit PC's. How much do you think an external model, compatible with a Mac was?

I remember saving essays on floppies to take between school/home. Ah they were so reliable right! And yeah when CD-Burners came on the market they were pricey, about £250 when they came out which would've been about $400 back then, who knows what that would be now?

'member when we were debating between CD-R+ or CD-R-? 'member those CD-Burner towers? 'member when on the fly copying became affordable?

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I remember saving essays on floppies to take between school/home. Ah they were so reliable right! And yeah when CD-Burners came on the market they were pricey, about £250 when they came out which would've been about $400 back then, who knows what that would be now?

'member when we were debating between CD-R+ or CD-R-? 'member those CD-Burner towers? 'member when on the fly copying became affordable?

Yep, those were the days when backups really mattered because simple programs like a word processor didn't do simple things like autosave and losing your work was so common!

I bought one of the first cd burners that came out for my pc. It cost me a fortune but the freedom it afforded me was amazing! I would then enter the workforce where our engineering firm would use floppies regularly until after 2010!!

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
I remember how long it took to burn a disc at 2x write speed. Or buying a 16x burner but having to scale it down to 2 or 4x write speed to avoid errors and having to throw away the disc.

But to the OP's point, as soon as the systems are shipped, this backlash will disappear. Apple made a great product.

Reactions: myscrnnm

pier

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2009
I don't think Apple will make a step back unless sales are really catastrophic. I doubt we will ever see magsafe or USB-A ports in a Macbook pro. Maybe there will be a new Air in 2017.

To me the biggest concern is the new keyboard and not having a high end model without touch bar. I hate those things.

I wish Apple released the exact same retina unibody models with updated specs. That is all I want.

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
I remember how long it took to burn a disc at 2x write speed. Or buying a 16x burner but having to scale it down to 2 or 4x write speed to avoid errors and having to throw away the disc.

But to the OP's point, as soon as the systems are shipped, this backlash will disappear. Apple made a great product.

I ended up with a lot of coasters and random CD craft projects due to that!

You're right, as always the backlash is occurring before people are using the devices. One people actually have them, once they swap a few cables to new ones, it won't matter. Just little things I think will be good benefit, like if I currently have an external drive connected to 1 USB and my camera the other, I'm probably working from both of them. Then if I find I have a file on a USB memory stick I need, I have to close up a session and unplug one of the devices. Obviously if I used a dock to begin with it wouldn't be an issue, but rarely do I plan these things well...

Reactions: BenTrovato

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Of course they won't I can't remember this big a backlash to an Apple product before, but a lot of the criticisms are exactly the same as with every major laptop refresh they do.

Comparing it to the Cube is just nonsense to be honest.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
Yep, those were the days when backups really mattered because simple programs like a word processor didn't do simple things like autosave and losing your work was so common!

I bought one of the first cd burners that came out for my pc. It cost me a fortune but the freedom it afforded me was amazing! I would then enter the workforce where our engineering firm would use floppies regularly until after 2010!!

forget its, according to this thread, its a smashing success. If sales continue this way, they will only push forward with their current strategy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.