Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Lol :D
Mean boss:D

Well, we have to make sure our data can be wiped regardless if it's a corporate owned device or not.

We also require device to lock and I'm about to enforce encryption on the device's storage. All of this is compliance driven.

Not that my company won't, they said they called AT&T and were told it's impossible to change my data plan to an iPhone...I would have to buy an iPhone and get in a 2 year contract. I just know that's incorrect.

100% incorrect. I switch between a BB and iPhone on a regular basis. The AT&T rep does require the IMEI of the phone so they can verify I have the equipment to match the data plan.

When is AT&T going to remove this archaic setup? I should be able to swap SIMs back and forth w/o issue. All of this talk of GSM being better because you can swap SIMs has never really worked well for me due to AT&T's BS.

Last edited:

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
The issue isn't GSM. This is more about corporate greed. :rolleyes:

I should be able to swap SIMs back and forth w/o issue. All of this talk of GSM being better because you can swap SIMs has never really worked well for me due to AT&T's BS.

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
The issue isn't GSM. This is more about corporate greed. :rolleyes:
Power to the people, comrade! I've always wanted to swap my ATT SIM with, er, uh, yeah, there are no other GSM carriers in the US. Power to the people, anyway, comrade-ski!

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Work gives us AT&T blackberrys and I have an iPhone 4 on AT&T. I put my work BB SIM in my iPhone and didn't have data but voice and texts works. Then I went to http://www.unlockit.co.nz/ and set a custom apn and now data works great on the iPhone.

Now I want to cancel my iPhone to save $90 a month and port my number to use google voice.

Will AT&T or work know I'm using my BB SIM in my iPhone?

Just trying to save money and consolidate phones...

Thoughts?

Don't know what kind of company you work for but can assure you if you work for any kind of financial company or any company that has a requirement to log, monitor and record all incoming and outgoing emails you would be putting your job on the line.

Suggest a word with the responsible person in IT would help protect you.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Yes, that happened to alot of people including a few family members.
They just send us a text saying an iphone data plan has been added to the account.

How is this legal? If you're not using a data plan and don't currently have one, how can AT&T legally make you pay for something you don't want?

It's not like you're using more services than before!

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
How is this legal? If you're not using a data plan and don't currently have one, how can AT&T legally make you pay for something you don't want?

I hear you, its BS they're making you get something that certain people dont want or need.
But they have put it in the terms of agreement when you sign up for service with them so they can legally get away with it.

skillz1318

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 21, 2006
Don't know what kind of company you work for but can assure you if you work for any kind of financial company or any company that has a requirement to log, monitor and record all incoming and outgoing emails you would be putting your job on the line.

Suggest a word with the responsible person in IT would help protect you.

My company has zero issues with people using their corporate device for personal use. I am not costing my company any more money....most of my use on my phone is email and texts, which I did on BB and now do on iPhone. They do log incoming/outgoing emails...it's through their email servers whether on BES or iPhone.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas

It's legal because you signed the contract that says they can do it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.