Will AT&T detect my imei

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by skillz1318, Feb 20, 2011.

1. skillz1318 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Work gives us AT&T blackberrys and I have an iPhone 4 on AT&T. I put my work BB SIM in my iPhone and didn't have data but voice and texts works. Then I went to http://www.unlockit.co.nz/ and set a custom apn and now data works great on the iPhone.

Now I want to cancel my iPhone to save $90 a month and port my number to use google voice.

Will AT&T or work know I'm using my BB SIM in my iPhone?

Just trying to save money and consolidate phones...

Thoughts?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

AT&T will know you are using an iPhone and will add the data plan.

Bad idea, this plan.

3. skillz1318, Feb 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2011

skillz1318 thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Will they automatically add it? Some work people have iPhone's I'm just not up for an upgrade yet.

So worst case they change my data plan to an iPhone data plan? Does contract get extended automatically?

I'm fine with data plan changing to iPhone. I just don't want to lose data cause then google voice won't work

4. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Your job is okay with paying for your personal cell phone plan? It seems like the sort of thing they have grounds to fire you over.

5. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Why? Much easier, and less expensive, to reimburse people who use their personal phone for work than it is to manage corporately owned phones.

6. skillz1318 thread starter macrumors regular

They pay for work BB and most people just use it as personal cell as well which is permitted. I want to port my number to google voice so I can cancel my personal line. They don't care if you use your work phone for personal use.

Edit: I just want to ensure BB sim will continue to receive data. Its fine if it changes to iPhone data plan and BB data is cancelled. It's same price.

7. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

It's uninformed to use business phone as personal. No one cares, but when they do care, you'll regret the silly decision of trying to save $60 a month.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You should be fine but make sure your work is ok with it also.

9. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Some times saying it twice just isn't enough.

10. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

That's great that your job will pay for work BB and allow you to use it for personal use. However, does this also apply to iphones? Just because they're willing to pay for BB, doesn't mean they'll pay for the iPhone. At least the iphone data plan costs the same as BB, which would be a good argument in your favor.

11. skillz1318 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes they pay for iPhones as well. I'm just not up for an upgrade yet.

12. MDMike macrumors newbie

Unlockit and IMEI detection

I have been using a 3GS for my wife with no data plan and a swapped SIM card for about a year or so. I also insured that the cellular data was turned off in the settings. I just got a letter from AT&T advising that they detected an iPhone on the account and they provided the IMEI of my phone. It also states that they will be adding a data plan to my account. I read somewhere else that they do occasional IMEI "sweeps" and that's when they nab you. Anybody have any information on this?

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, that happened to alot of people including a few family members.
    They just send us a text saying an iphone data plan has been added to the account.

14. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

You'd have to do t-mobile or pre-paid to avoid the required data plan.

15. skillz1318 thread starter macrumors regular

Modified my apn and still using my work att blackberry sim in my iPhone. Working great!

16. rocknrolldoggy macrumors member

It's just a matter of time before the system sweeps catches up.

17. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

For the OP, it's not a big deal to switch to the iPhone data plan; the cost for the blackberry and iPhone data plan are equivalent. Of course, if you'd been reading the thread, you would know that.:rolleyes:

18. ericvmazzone macrumors regular

The IMEI is how your equipment is identified. People think they can hide where they are at by switching sim cards and doing various deeds, but the imei is still seen by the network. The sim controls the phone number, the imei is the hardware. You will eventually be caught out as having an iPhone on a noniphone plan because YOU can't change the IMEI by exchanging sims. The terms of use for AT&T state that all iPhones be on iPhone plans.

So yes, AT&T can and will, at their discrettion put you back onto the iPhone plan on your current number. So if your company agreed to pay for a BB for your business use and AT&T sees you using that company paid for sim in an iPhone, do you really think your company will be pleased to have the BB be dropped and iPhone added? Heck your company could terminate you and demand the iPhone as their property IF you may have access to proprietary materials via the phone.

So don't do it. Just cart around both phones OR ask your company for permission and have them handle the switch.

19. skillz1318, Mar 8, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2011

skillz1318 thread starter macrumors regular

My company said they can't switch data plans (not technically possible according to them) without me switching to a new phone which is BS. So I'm fine if ATT does it for them.

20. Krandor macrumors 6502

So you are trying to get AT&T to do something your company says they won't do for you? now you are getting into dangerous ground with your job.

21. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Are you using it in place of the BB to connect to your company e-mail? If so, they will notice that A) your BB is no longer connecting to BES and B) that an iPhone is connecting to Exchange (most likely) for e-mail.

If they are cool with that, no biggie. In my company, I am tracking down these users and getting them to sign a waiver stating that they are ok with me wiping their personal device at any time (no whining allowed if I wipe all their personal data :p).

22. skillz1318 thread starter macrumors regular

23. skillz1318 thread starter macrumors regular

Not that my company won't, they said they called AT&T and were told it's impossible to change my data plan to an iPhone...I would have to buy an iPhone and get in a 2 year contract. I just know that's incorrect.

I'm using it with GOOD Enterprise which my work uses for iPhone corporate email. I don't care if they erase my device...it's backed up every day or two...

24. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Like many have said before, it's always a time lapse before you get switched to an iPhone plan.

25. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol :D
    Mean boss:D