Carrier Will AT&T move upgrade dates if they're close to a iPhone release?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jamesryanbell, Aug 27, 2015.

1. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

Back when the 4S was released, my upgrade date was 3 weeks after the launch. I knew this when the event was happening, but when I checked (just to do it) eligibility when orders were available, the date had changed. Not sure if this was random or not, but it happened.

My upgrade date is Sept 21st, and by then the 6S will be backordered like crazy. Have any of you who are AT&T customers had any success in the past with having them move the date back a couple of weeks? I have a feeling they're just going to say "you ARE eligible....for AT&T Next". Not what I want to hear.

Anyway, just getting some feedback before I call later. Am I wasting my time calling? Can they even do that?

2. TWD98j macrumors regular

Yeah mine says the same thing as far as the upgrade date goes "this line may be eligible for 2 year service plan on 9/21..." but I'm THINKING/hoping that once we get into Sept and after the event is announced that the upgrade may become available.

I last upgraded in 2013 on 5s launch day so I am hoping that doing so for 6s Plus launch won't be an issue. Hanging onto grandfathered UDP for dear life.

3. ipadded macrumors member

ipadded

I'm in the same boat! My upgrade date is Sept 21st.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

All AT&T wants to do these days is push the NEXT cr^p!

I think if you called now your answer would be no as the people you will talk to have no authority to overide that. Wait till we are very close to ordering and it would not shock me that they changed your upgrade

5. grifftaur macrumors regular

Unfortunately you will get a no. They want people doing the NEXT option. My upgrade wasn't available till November 23rd. I asked about upgrading early and they said it would cost $275. I know 2 months is more time than a week, but they won't give a crap. I had the unlimited data plan and just didn't care anymore. Switched to T-Mobile few weeks ago and i've been happy. Got a 6 Plus and will get getting the 6S Plus when it's released next month.

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

But even folks who signed up for Next 12 last year have to make sure their 12th payment has been received by AT&T before they can pre-order this year, right? Wonder if AT&T will have any flexibility on that particular date.

Update: never mind, doesn't appear to be an issue. Assuming AT&T's systems don't crap out during the preorder, looks like if you're still on Next and owe some payments, you can make them during the upgrade process.

Attached Files:

7. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

They'll tell you "no" now, but it's happened each of the last few years.

8. Surf Donkey Suspended

Surf Donkey

I thought the same as you once (since the original iphone), but you will join us on the darkside of the mobile share plan. Just you wait.

But seriously, UDP is a joke. You are clinging to air.

9. pokerplayer73 macrumors 6502

pokerplayer73

Had the same question on another thread. Will know more once September rolls around if the eligibility changes.

10. Stlcheer macrumors regular

I've upgraded every year and never had any issues. I don't call or anything. I just put in my pre order or order (for the years they didn't have preorders).

11. T0MMYBOY4 macrumors regular

Why is the UDP a joke ? I love my unlimited (and now UNTHROTTLED) data plan. Last month I used over 50 gig streaming movies on my iPhone. My LTE connection is faster than most home wifi connections. 50 gig for $29.99/month ! If anything, the joke is on AT&T when they offered us an "all you can eat buffet" of data for $29.99/month.... Unless I'm missing something?! Feel free to elaborate...

12. Surf Donkey Suspended

Surf Donkey

Is it truly unthrottled LTE speed now? If it is, I totally missed something and will feel stupid for dropping. You can tether as well?

13. MyCow macrumors member

MyCow

I work at AT&T, as long as your upgrade is within the same month, you can upgrade at any time.

14. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Who knows.. they may get rid of the 2 year contracts when the new phone comes around.

15. MyCow macrumors member

MyCow

2 year contracts don't make sense unless you're on a single line plan and have unlimited data.

16. cousintim macrumors 6502

cousintim

More accurately, a single-line plan with a corporate discount. Unlimited data is just icing on the cake.

17. cousintim macrumors 6502

cousintim

At the beginning of the renewal month, the AT&T renewal date will reset to the first day of the renewal month.

Don't bother calling. This can be confirmed by checking OLAM after September 1.

18. Bako-MacAddict macrumors 68000

Bako-MacAddict

Those who are buying it straight up with no contract , are we going to see an option to pre order at apple.com or AT&T.com or do we have to go to the store at launch to pick a phone up ?

19. aloecool macrumors regular

Thanks for saving me a phone call

20. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

When I upgraded last year, my date was later than the launch of the iPhone. No problems at all

21. jamesryanbell thread starter macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

Thanks for all of the great info! Really appreciate this place!

22. TWD98j macrumors regular

Actually I have it pretty made, since I have single line plan with the 450 nationwide with rollover, 5000 night/weekend mins, 1500 texts, unlimited data - there is virtually no way to incur overage charges if you're me. Plus I get a nice 22% corporate FAN discount on top of that. After taxes, my bill comes to about $75/month.

LTE signal is fantastic where I live, and since AT&T has softened its stance on throttling, that makes it even better. I was only ever throttled one time, but I don't think that will be a concern going forward.

So yeah, I am keeping things as is for as long as I am able to. I have it made and as long as they let me keep my plan the way it is, I see no reason to change anything. I don't mind the 2 year contract at all, especially with being on the "S" cycle.

23. pokerplayer73 macrumors 6502

pokerplayer73

Same here. My bill with 2 UDP plans is approx 126 - 130 based on my SMS usage. If I take subsidy for 2 phones(2 * 18.75 = 37.50) out of this, it comes out to $90 for 2 lines with UDP. Can I get that with Next? Don't think so.

18.75 = 450/24 ($450 subsidized over a period of 24 months)

upload_2015-8-28_17-43-8.png

24. AJsAWiz, Aug 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2015

AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

What kind of data plan do you have with T Mobile and how is their (cellular) coverage where you live?

Okay, then why is AT&T working so hard to get people off of the unlimited data? They either try to switch you to the mobile share or that crappy NEXT plan where you pay full price for an iPhone in installments. It happens every time I walk into an AT&T store or talk to them on the phone.

Same here.

Mine hasn't been throttled but I can't tether.