Will ATT ever allow iPhone unlocking?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BruiserB, Mar 8, 2011.

1. BruiserB macrumors 65816

Does anyone think ATT will ever allow a way for iPhones to be legitimately unlocked? I used PowerTel--->VoiceStream--->T-mobile for years and they would always provide SIM unlock codes at the conclusion of my contract on request. Why did they do this if it isn't required? Why won't ATT do this?

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

No... they already said this literally over 9000 times. Why? No one knows.

3. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

I doubt they will ever allow their phone to be unlocked. If they did, the consumer can simply walk to another carrier - no need to buy another phone. This isn't beneficial for them. If the consumer is forced to keep their phone locked to AT&T and must purchase a new phone to change carriers, then many people won't switch - they don't want to pay for a new phone.

4. BruiserB thread starter macrumors 65816

But then why does T-Mobile unlock their phones? Everytime my contract ended, I'd get the unlock code and unlock my phone. Then I could use it to travel, etc. It was still a 2 year old phone, so if I wanted to keep up to date, I still had to buy another and was still under contract. T-Mobile's willingness to unlock actually made me more loyal....I'd go back in a second if they offered iPhone.

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Say, AT&T did unlock iPhones. It still will not make a difference as people will still stick to AT&T due to the data nature of the iPhone. Remember, all iPhones do not support T-Mobile's 3G network frequencies, so unlocking the iPhone would be a moot point.

6. BruiserB thread starter macrumors 65816

That's right...it wouldn't make much difference to ATT, I would still probably use their service here, but it would allow me the freedom to use my iPhone when I travel outside the US. If ATT has nothing to lose by giving out the unlock code at contract completion, why don't they do it? Is this their policy with all phones, or just the iPhone? I'm sure only a small number of T-Mobile customers ever request their unlock codes, but it's a nice, consumer-friendly benefit for those that request it.

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

It's been AT&T's policy not to unlock the iPhone ever since the 1st one was released back in June 2007.

8. BruiserB thread starter macrumors 65816

Is this their across the board policy with all phones, or just the iPhone?

9. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

It's not moot, you can still use EDGE on Tmo with no issues. If you're grandfathered into a $3.99 unlimited data plan like me, it makes a lot of sense, esp. if you're not a heavy 3G user.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Just the iphone, they unlock all other cellphone they have on their network.
    It would be nice incase you want to travel international with your iphone and cant JB and software unlock it.
    If they dont get any pressure from the Feds they wont do it just to be nice.
    It should be illegal IMO not to unlock a phone that you purchased full price or your contract has expired. Yet the phone is still locked to the carrier.
    Im not holding my breath though:)

11. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

T-Mobile would not unlock the iPhone if they sold them. AT&T does offer unlocking services but NOT for the iPhone:apple:

12. old-wiz macrumors G3

The only way ATT would unlock the iPhone would be if the government made them do it, but considering how much political influence ATT has this is very unlikely.

13. BruiserB thread starter macrumors 65816

Totally agree that it should be illegal. So they will even unlock Android smart-phones?? Any chance this is Apple's requirement? Maybe Apple doesn't want unlocked iPhones shipped around the world?

My understanding is that the legit unlock is somehow processed through iTunes. Do any other carriers around the world allow the legit unlock to happen?

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I doubt its Apple, why would they care? Its AT&T not want to unlock them.
    Apple sells most of their iphones officially unlocked in many other countries and offer unlocking.
    USA AT&T and a few other carriers are the only ones not offering official unlocking.

15. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

How is it moot? iPhone does not support Tmobile's GSM frequencies...what point is it to have a smartphone limited to Tmobile EDGE? No facetime? No 3G? this is fine if you're talking about a clamshell dumbphone but a watered down iPhone? who wants that?

16. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

FaceTime works over Wifi. It doesn't work over AT&T 3G without jailbreaking. The only thing missing is no 3G. Not everyone needs 3G. All other iPhone functions work on Tmo. No watering down here. I don't consider loss of Visual Voicemail a loss.

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You got it to work on unofficial carrier without a cydia hack?
    It usually doesn't and depending on the firmware version the "MyTime" hack might not work with it.

18. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

I'm confused. Is AT&T officially unlocking phones now? Chicken and egg..

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No I'm just saying to get FaceTime to work on Tmobile you need to purchase a hack thru cydia and currently it doesn't work with the latest 4.2.1
    So how you claim it works over wifi on Tmobile? Was just asking to learn since you corrected someone above.
    Also You might not consider visual voicemail a loss, many other will though;)

20. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

As we have progressed to newer iPhone models, a jailbreak has gotten to be easier (and available earlier) than an unlock. If AT&T provided the unlock, having ONLY to jailbreak is still a significant advantage. MyTime works for Tmo as far as I understand it (from modmyi forums).

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I'll take your word for it.
    I heard it didn't work with the latest 4.2.1 firmware but not 100% on details.