Will ATT stores have stock on release day

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Joneszee, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Joneszee macrumors newbie

Joneszee

anyone know if ATT stores will have much stock for non preorder people. I am not allowed to upgrade until November, called ATT and they would move up my upgrade to now, but they can only do it when ordering. Since they don't have stock of the iPhone in their computer system yet, I can't be upgraded until they do (9/25). So I have to wait until that day. Was hoping to maybe get lucky at ATT store on release day.

2. Ticocg59 macrumors member

You have to be at your local att store 45 minutes before they open to have a chance on the 25th..

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

AT&T stores do typically have some limited stock on release day, though it varies by store, and by what supply constraints there are.

This year doesn't look nearly as bad though as past years, especially for the 6S. I imagine AT&T stores should have plenty of 6S stock, probably less so (but maybe still some) of the 6S Plus.

Of course, my guess is really only as good as anyone else's. No one will know for sure until 9/25.

4. Surfer13134 macrumors 6502a

They should,Call the night before and they should be able to tell you if they have any. But be prepared to camp out overnight for the phone. Make sure it is a corporate location,as a regular location cant upgrade your device early. I would call the corporate location as well and make sure they can do the upgrade for you as I heard some stores can and some cant.

5. ckurt25 macrumors 6502a

ckurt25

If I had to bet money I'd say they will. I've gone back and forth with pre-ordering and getting the iPhones in stores over the years. 2 years ago I went to an AT&T store when the 5S came out. I was 1st in line around 6 AM and about 40 people ended up being in line by the time the store opened. I wanted to do the same last year but when I called around to stores the days before release they claimed they weren't sure if they'd get any so I went to my local Apple Store and was 8th in line around 6 PM the night before. As it turned out, many AT&T stores did have stock.

So, based on past experience, I'd say there is a very good chance they'll have some. Most will probably be 16 / 64 GB Space Grey and a handful of other color and size combos. If I hadn't pre-ordered this year I would have gone to an AT&T store myself.

6. nickkrumors macrumors member

I've been a customer for 11 years and have an October 3rd eligibility date and they wouldn't budge for me. Said even if I paid the ETF on the line, my eligibility date would stay unchanged. Not cool.

What department did you talk to about moving up the date?

7. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Well there seems to be no shortage as you can still order a phone for the 25th at the Apple site. BUT, that does not take into consideration that AT&T will have less stock. I did walk into the AT&T store when the 6 came out and was able to get an additional phone with no problem.

Time will tell.

8. duaneu macrumors 6502a

They should have some, but I wouldn't count on being able to pick up a Plus. If you just want the regular 6s, there's a much better chance.

9. 16Paws macrumors 6502a

They usually do. My mother-in-law always just walks into her local ATT store on launch day and upgrades after work, but it varies year to year.

10. zfoster13 macrumors member

zfoster13

Talk to Customer Relations, they were the ones who moved my eligibility date. Though, like OP, I have to wait till 9/25 to put in my order. Hoping stock is good so I don't have to wait too long.

11. guychicago macrumors 6502

guychicago

The AT&T flagship store on Michigan Avenue in Chicago always has a lot of stock. I have bought my last three phones on launch day from there.

12. DravenGSX macrumors 6502a

It's likely that you'll find limited stock at local AT&T corporate stores. It depends on where you are located and how much volume the store does. My local store had about 50 the last couple of years. Get there before they open and be flexible about which model you're interested in.

13. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

Definitely get there early. The one time I had to pick up at an AT&T store (for the 3GS), I cruised by the night before to see if there was a line or anything yet. It was deserted, so I think I ended up getting there at about 5 the next morning and there were maybe 3-4 people there. Obviously, YMMV.

14. load97 macrumors member

load97

Do the stores stock 128GB models regularly yet? At one time with the 5s model, it was hard to find anyone that carried the 64GB version.

15. Aibocyrus macrumors 6502

Aibocyrus

I work at AT&T. Last year we had people lining up starting 11 pm the night before. We DO get inventory of the new phones, but last year we didn't get a single Plus in or a single 128GB in.
    There is also a new limit of 1 phone per person in line at our stores this year.

16. Joneszee thread starter macrumors newbie

Joneszee

I called the sales department, told them I have been a customer for over 12 years, I have never missed a payment, I deserve 2 months early. They asked a supervisor and I was good to go...until it couldn't be ordered because it is not in their system until the 25th. They cannot change my plan outright, it needs to be overwritten at the time of sale. So I cannot order from apple, it has to be through ATT. They did say I can go through a ATT store though and it is written in my notes everywhere that I have been approved. I check by calling the next day and having them read my notes to me, haha.

17. wacky4alanis macrumors 6502

I went into the AT&T store last year on the first weekend after release (on Saturday I think), and I was able to get a 128 GB iPhone 6 in gold. They didn't have any pluses. I had to wait in line for a little over an hour. This year I pre-ordered a 6s+ using the Apple store app - much easier!

18. nickkrumors macrumors member

Thanks. i'm in a chat with AT&T now trying to work it. Appreciate it

19. karmatourer macrumors 6502a

karmatourer

Customer Relations told me I have to order directly over the phone with them because the moved m eligibility date from October to the 25th. I would have preferred walking into an AT&T store 2 minutes away instead. But I least I got an early upgrade..........

20. karmatourer macrumors 6502a

karmatourer

Customer Relations moved my date from October 23 to Se 25-but I can only order with that dept over the phone-no in-store sale. No complaints for that.

21. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

You will be fine, just go 3 hours before they open or so for a better chance. Last year very few plusses sold in stores on launch day though.

22. superevangelist1 macrumors member

superevangelist1

Talk with Customer Retention. They have much greater power to makes changes than an average Customer Service rep. I've been able to negotiate a number of changes over the years by threatening to cancel my service.

23. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Our local store had inventory of most all models still at noon. One model was short and we watched Fedex deliver more phones. 30 minutes later they came out to let us know what came in and what was still left.