Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 26, 2010
So, do you think this massive failure today on ATT's part, which is making Apple look bad...again... is gonna finally be the wake up call Stevie boy needs to dump this loser company? discuss...

quid squid

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2008
los angeles
So, do you think this massive failure today on ATT's part, which is making Apple look bad...again... is gonna finally be the wake up call Stevie boy needs to dump this loser company? discuss...

loser company or not, if you want this phone you will be stuck with them for another 2 years unless you want to give them more of your money.

NachoGrande

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah AT&T is such a failure that they had 100s of thousands of people all trying to buy a phone from them at the same time. Man the suck.

quid squid

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2008
los angeles
no. the only reason apple's website is having problems is because of att's servers. it is their fault

it's also at&t's fault they let pretty much everyone with an iPhone right now upgrade to the new one which flooded the servers even more.

i think Apple's main fault is the way the pre-order process is being handled and the fact that they have not really given any information other than a preorder and release date.

sonictonic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2006
San Jose, California
AT&T got hit with a lot of traffic.

Apple pulled the white iPhone after taunting us with it for the last 8 days, at the last second without any rhyme or reason, and still no explanation or ETA. They also had website issues (store went down numerous times last night), and the accessories (bumpers at least) don't ship until July 2nd unless you wanted black.

I blame Apple 100% for this one. I'm kind of a fanboy and I've never been so disappointed and pissed at them, ever. I didn't expect they could F up this bad.

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
They sold a record number of phones in 12 hours. Pretty sure some server issues hurt, but not as much as the $$$$ helps.

Because of the incredible interest in iPhone 4, today was the busiest online sales day in AT&T history

RafaelT

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2010
NM
no. the only reason apple's website is having problems is because of att's servers. it is their fault

Really? Were you up at 5:30 EST time trying to pre order? Because before the whole thing happened with the att part of the pre ordering apples servers had a melt down of there own. Apple actually closed the whole store on and off about 5 times. It had nothing to do with ATT at that point. Later in the day, yes ATT was partially to blame. But you need to check your facts. Steve can't really get upset with ATT when his own servers can't handle things.

bobsentell

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2008
Alabama
Not a chance. Apple will forever be on AT&T until they go LTE. Apple will never create a CDMA phone. 4.3 billion people use GSM. Why should Apple design a phone for those few who use CDMA?

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
This has happened every year now. I don't think Apple or AT&T are going to do anything.

pyrodex

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I've observed two problems with online orders this morning and each company is to blame.

1) This morning when AT&T was not congested and I got to the final part to place the device in my cart I got many OPPS errors. Those were due to Apple and not AT&T. If it wasn't for those I'd have my two phones ordered.
2) Once Apple resolved the cart issues then the load began to creep up on AT&T causing their issues.

IMHO both companies are to blame for not being fully prepared, not just apple.

P.S Yes the White iPhone 4 pisses me off to since it was never announced about the delay at WWDC.

skyehill

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007

No it isn't. Apples app failed. Their website failed. And I assume you're also going to blame ATT for Apple's failure to deliver white iPhones?

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
How is selling out of all your phones... a failure? This phone sold out faster than anything ive ever seen lol.

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008

steve has spent the last 12 hours raking piles of hundred dollar bills into his private vault with his hands...I don't think he cares

and also, Apples processes failed for me at least once on every single step towards my preorder, so although ATT seems to have failed the worst, parts of apples site that didnt rely on ATT were also down

the blame lies on both of them, but mostly on us for destroying their servers

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
I've observed two problems with online orders this morning and each company is to blame.

1) This morning when AT&T was not congested and I got to the final part to place the device in my cart I got many OPPS errors. Those were due to Apple and not AT&T. If it wasn't for those I'd have my two phones ordered.
2) Once Apple resolved the cart issues then the load began to creep up on AT&T causing their issues.

IMHO both companies are to blame for not being fully prepared, not just apple.

P.S Yes the White iPhone 4 pisses me off to since it was never announced about the delay at WWDC.

+1

STEVESKI07

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Washington, DC
No I don't think so. Apple just made millions of dollars today and they haven't even released the phone yet. Yes, they had server issues, but they were able to sell more phones then they would if they didn't do any preorders. I'm sure as hell not waiting in a line overnight for a cell phone. If there was no preorder process, I'd probably have to wait a month before I could get this phone. Jobs is picky about things and likes things to go perfect, but I'm pretty sure the profits he is raking in offsets the minor inconveniences a lot of people had today.

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.
No, Apple will still be strong as their products are top-notch

With that said, today was an embarrassment for Apple and continues to be a day where the positives (sales numbers) are probably outweighed by the laughably pathetic inability of Apple/AT&T sites to handle the load.

Of course in a few days when we all have pre-ordered, that will be forgiven and forgotten so the sales numbers will take hold and dominate.....

But come release day, I expect the activation issues to be absolutely terrible and expect this site to be more negative then positive.

KratosKilla

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2008
No. Steve Jobs doesn't care about you or anyone. He sees a number and decides on what to do with the company. They run a business. He only cares about customer satisfaction when it effects his profits or stock prices. This goes with every Corporation. This isn't some 5th grade he hit me first game. These are two large corporations who fully expected a mad rush and tried there best to struggle through. It's just how it is.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
100% disagreement.

At least half of the problem with the whole process is that Apple's web site doesn't seem robust enough to survive a timeout. If I've already entered my phone number, ZIP code, and last-4-digits-of-my-SSN and asked the site to process that information to see if I am eligible to buy a phone, I should only have to do that ONCE. This whole "Oops! Your transaction timed out. Please start over from the beginning." thing is nonsense. They should offer a resubmit button and let you keep pressing forward with the information you've already entered. Error adding the phone to my cart? Offer a button to try again.

Last night, I was only able to make my preorder because of a "glitch" in the process -- I clicked once to add the phone to my cart and THEN I got a timeout error. But I checked the cart and sure enough, my phone was there -- it's just that the site forgot to show me the cart after it had put the phone in it. If I had followed the "rules" like a good boy and started over again, I would have ended up wasting a lot more time getting my order placed.

So you can blame AT&T for not having the server capacity and network bandwidth to provide Apple the requested user information to determine eligibility. But the rest of the blame falls squarely on Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.