Will battery life ever improve, or no?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nouveau-apple, Oct 29, 2014.

1. nouveau-apple, Oct 29, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2014

nouveau-apple macrumors 6502a

I recently has the pleasure of having my 5s stolen and reverted back to a less expensive, (free) basic phone.

I'm using an LG flip phone from 2005. It's a 3G phone that's as small as a pack of gum and a 640 resolution.

[​IMG]
    BATTERY LIFE, 7 DAYS.

[​IMG]
    BATTERY LIFE, 4 HOURS.

But it's dependable. The battery life lasts days on end. For the first time in years, could go whole day with the battery at 100 percent.

For the first time in years I was able to leave my charger at work and use my mobile phone while on-the-go. You can't do that with an iPhone.

Somewhere we've gotten lost with this 4-7 hour battery life.

My question though, is, what is it about the iPhone that causes the battery to drain so quickly? Daily charging is not my forte. Is it the LTE? Is 3G simply better on battery life? Or is it the screen?

2. cynics macrumors G4

List all the things an iPhone can do that LG phone can't do and you'll have your answer

Sent from my iPhone;)

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Sometimes I just can't handle this board, the questions that get asked...
    [​IMG]

4. atiffarooq macrumors 6502

atiffarooq

This. Also for the functionality and specs my iPhone 6 Plus has the battery life is great.

5. nouveau-apple thread starter macrumors 6502a

You would think that a phone that is just a screen would have at least a 1 day battery or something

6. rocksyoursock macrumors regular

rocksyoursock

I always get at least a day out of my battery.

However, it would be really nice to have some breakthrough in battery tech.

Processor speeds and efficiencies increase every single year, but battery tech, almost for the last decade has remained mostly the same with just slight improvements. Just imagine if battery capacity could double every year, in the same or smaller battery size every year like processors do. It doesn't, so we mostly have to rely on software and processor efficiency to use less battery to begin with. Also, the 6+ has really good battery life, but thats because it houses a bigger battery than before. We need a breakthrough where batteries get smaller and contain more energy. Maybe one day. The new Motorola phone that was just announced has crazy battery life - but only because it has a huge battery.

I think with Apple, until a true battery breakthrough, you'll just see marginal improvements. Apple has a "thin and light" philosophy so you'll never see huge batteries in them. Given the size and speeds of these new iphones though, the battery life they get is pretty decent.

7. cchunk macrumors 6502

I don't think you understand what an iPhone can do, and what that flip phone can do. The iphone is essentially a mini computer in your hand with the ability to make calls. It shouldn't be able to last 7 days on a charge since we are capable of doing so much more than a flip phone.

8. BigMar89 macrumors 6502

I mean, if you were to use your iPhone the same way you would use that flip phone in terms of just calling and texting then I'm positive your iPhone will last all day or more. That means no Facebook, videos, music, internet browsing, etc.

9. Tiger8 macrumors 68020

Battery life may or may not improve, the one thing for certain is that Ivy will not rest until the iPhone is as thin as a razor

I can't wait for the day we get an iPhonecut (similar to papercut)

10. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Eh although I think OP is completely out of the loop, I don't think what you said is exactly accurate as well. There are some work days where I'm literally calling and texting that day (no games, no fb, etc) and I still need a charge when I get home.

11. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

might be an issue with your battery, look at the battery usage thread lots of happy people getting 8+ hours of usage and 24+ hours of standby

12. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

Op needs to get sent to typewriter era and carrier pigeons. Or with horseback express carrier lol.

13. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Why do I always fail to see what is so ****ing hard about plugging the phone in when you go to bed? On the average night I sleep. Before that sleep I plug it in. It's always at 100% when I wake up. And if I don't sleep that night I some how some magical way find time to charge my phone. I really can't ****ing understand how different my life would be if I had a phone that's had a 7 day battery. I sleep in that 7 days, so as far as I'm concerned this is not an issue.

14. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

My quartz wrist watch battery lasts for over two years.

My Kindle Voyage battery lasts over two weeks.

My iPad Air battery lasts between 14 and 16 hours of screen use.

My iPhone 6 Plus battery lasts between 9 and 12 hours screen use.

My no-features Nokia phone's battery lasted about three days.

What do these things have to do with one another? Very little.

15. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

My 6+ gets good battery life, but point is even when just texting and calling the battery life is not that great.

OP is expecting Ferrari performance from a Honda Civic.

16. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

you might want to get your battery checked if you have the plus you should get 24 hours of talk time on the 6+, text messaging should not change that much since its using the same signal

17. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

If it was just a screen it would. I hope you're sitting down when I tell you that an iPhone is more than a battery and a screen.

18. cynics macrumors G4

....with the kind of unparalleled safety our users have come to expect from Apple, introducing the all new iChainmailGauntlets.....

19. Gincoma macrumors 6502

I felt dumber after reading this thread. Is this a serious question OP? You really dont know why a LG flip phone lasts days and your iPhone doesnt??? Im baffled seriously!@!@

20. iWozinator macrumors member

I think the OP is a pseudonym account for
    iPhone7ate9 or TH55

21. Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

A better analog wouldn't be a flip phone, but rather a laptop. How long does your laptop last without being charged? Now think about how much bigger a laptop battery is than a phone battery.

On top of that, who's getting only 4 hours of use out of their phone? Are you literally sucking the electricity out of the battery through the lightning port?

22. rocat1997 macrumors regular

I get only 4 hours on my iPhone 5. Definitely worse on ios 8.1. Mostly just texting. And I have a new battery in it. I always must carry my charger. I've restored, turned off location services. everything. The majority of the problem according to battery usage is 23% phone with low signal. And I've always struggled with signal with all my Iphones in Fort Worth. Usually 3 dots or less. Facebook uses 21%. That's almost half the phone capacity. I'm not on Facebook book more than 10 minutes a day. I can see why the op wants a flip phone. Less headache and way cheaper.

23. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

Well if you're in an area where the phone is constantly searching for a signal you're going to lose a lot more battery than someone who is in an area with a strong signal. There's no way around that unless you toggle what type of connection you can search for to limit how much power the device uses.

24. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

It all comes down to the capabilities of the phones and how you use them. Several other folks have explained it, but you don't seem particularly interested in reason.

Anyway, I easily get through 15-18 hours before the battery on my iPhone 5s drops below 10%. I'll typically have 5-8 hours of usage time, so I've gotten plenty of use out of the phone.

Why is plugging your phone in at night an issue?