Will Beach Balls Vanish with 10.9.1?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by slide023, Oct 25, 2013.

1. slide023 macrumors member

slide023

Hello

I'm apologize for the redundancy of beach balls, but are they something that is likely to go away with an update?

I've read it has something to do with "time coalescing." It was an article liked off the forum here. I'm paraphrasing, but Apple said it would not be noticeable. Wrong!!!

It's irksome, and IMO a line of code, and here I could be wrong, that would fix this.

Any opinions, suggestions, advice would be more than greatly appreciated.

Other than that; the name, and the dock issues are not relevant. That's not to say they are not relevant for a lot of forum members. For you guys I sincerely hope those issues are resolved. I myself was a user of "Mirage" which seems to have died, and from what I understand even if updated Mirage would not work anyway.

I saw a beautiful screenshot this morning in the forums of a grey wallpaper, and someone had remarked it was very cool ....and the one who posted the shot said PM me and I'll get it to you, or something to that effect. Dude why not just post it for those, like myself who don't have an iPhone running iOS7. Makes no sense.
    Share the wealth bro.

There is a theme out there Nocturne .....I tried it, turns the menu bar black, but screws up iStats Menus to the point it's unreadable unless you use the dropdown menu.

I hope this 10.9.1 update is not far down the road, as well as 10.9.2.

Sorry for the rant .....

Slide023

2. anp27 macrumors regular

I too am suffering from the beach ball problem. Very annoying.

3. slide023 thread starter macrumors member

slide023

ANP,

Seems to me, and perhaps some devs here can jump in; maybe it would just take altering a line of code. But, I could be wrong. It doesn't bother a lot of people, but IMO you shouldn't see it even for a split second.

Slide023

4. tootall macrumors regular

Memory Clean

Not an expert, but I was experiencing beach balls continuously. I have stopped using Memory Clean and beach balls have almost completely disappeared. Maybe this can help others...

5. slide023 thread starter macrumors member

slide023

ToolTall

Thanks for the advice, but I'm not using any memory cleaners, or maintenance software. But thanks! Yea, maybe this can help some others,

Slide023

6. anp27 macrumors regular

I don't have any sort of maintenance apps running. In fact, since doing a clean install I have held off installing many programs and I'm keeping my Mac pretty bare. I thought doing a clean install would be a good thing.

7. snsd macrumors newbie

I don't know if i'm suffering the same beach ball problem like you guys have. I did a clean install and now sometimes when i try to close a tab or scroll in safari, the beach ball would appear for a split second. :confused: I hope apple would get this fixed.

8. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Any time there is a problem, here or in the iPhone/iPad section, someone ends up in suggesting a clean install ...

I think is a reminiscence of the ancient "defrag and reinstall windows" adagio ....
    Unless you have a very old OSX installation (something like a leopard or snow leopard base), it shouldn't be necessary at all.

9. sliceoftoast macrumors 6502

sliceoftoast

I am also suffering them, also finding programs just crash at random times. iTunes has been the biggest killer yet.

10. TeToslaw, Oct 26, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2013

TeToslaw macrumors regular

TeToslaw

Same thing with my MBP Retina. The beach ball appears in unexpected moments like scrolling in Safari. It doesn't make for slowing down the hole system, but it's frustrating.

11. maverick7, Oct 26, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2013

maverick7 macrumors newbie

I make a clean install of mavericks, then restore my software and my settings from Time Machine. I don't use any system utilities from third part vendors (no clean memory, no languages removal etc) but randomly these beachballs occur. Damn it!
    Nothing freezes or slowdown significantly not. Everything is smooth and speed is normal, cpu usage is pretty low, but my mouse cursor becomes this beachball and it is annoying me. Need to be fixed asap

12. luisito macrumors regular

luisito

Clean install here too.

Beach balls.. Beach balls everywhere!

13. sugarydelicious macrumors newbie

I upgraded it and experience random beach balls too!
    it's quite annoying sometimes.

14. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

I'm seeing my cursor randomly flicker into a beech ball every so often. I assume that's what we are talking about.

I wondered if it was when using lots of software that's not optimised for Mavericks, like Office and, of course, the entire iWork '09 suite.

My battery menu tells me that Keynote is using a lot of energy as it sits hidden not doing anything. I see from Activity Monitor that is requires discrete graphics and says 'no' for app nap. Does software have to be coded specially to use app nap? If I run lots of old software, will I see more beech balls?

SSD-based non-retina MBP with 16 GB RAM BTW

15. evenworstteddy macrumors newbie

Uh... Weird

Hmm...
    Weird, my 2008 iMac runs on mavericks without all those beach balls.
    What mac are you using ?

16. Raunien macrumors 6502

I'm using a cMBP 15' mid 2012 (non-retina) and I'm seeing these beachballs. Been seeing them all throughout the beta builds. Extremely annoying. I ended up downgrading to ML again.

17. Mikey86uk macrumors 6502

Clean install and NO beach balls for me.

Odd that some people seem to be having this problem. but so far, Mavericks has been running smoothly and nippy on my 2011 27" iMac with 12GB of RAM.

18. maverick7 macrumors newbie

Do you restore your system settings and apps from Time Machine after clean install?

----------

MBP Retina 15'' early 2013 it is powerful system, but the main concern is not performance or freezing, the main annoying factor is usability, I am pissed of every time I notice this approximately instant converting of cursor into beach ball and vice a versa :mad:

19. AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

I hope. I don't see them much but I hated their return on my 27" iMac with 24 gb ram.

20. Mikey86uk macrumors 6502

Nope 100% Clean. just imported my iTunes library and photo's which i backed up on my usb drive.

21. -Tobi- macrumors newbie

I've updated from ML and also getting beachballs now and then on my macbook air mid 2012. I also noticed some very short lags sometimes. Hopefully they will fix that with 10.9.1 :(

22. anp27 macrumors regular

It actually bothers me a hell of a lot! We need an update NOW.

23. KoolAid-Drink macrumors 65816

I thought I was the only one! Yeah, random beachballs that appear in split seconds then disappears without any impact on performance for the most part. I tried both an upgrade from ML and a clean install (without restoring settings) and same issues all the way. The beachballs appear running both Mavericks apps and 3rd party apps. Very annoying and makes the system seem more buggy. I guess we're suffering a byproduct of this being a 10.x.0 release.

24. TheGdog macrumors 6502

TheGdog

Safari gives me a non-spinning beach ball sometimes. Its odd.

25. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

Do any of you guys have multiple drives (internal or external)? Try going into the power options and un-check the "Put hard drives to sleep when possible". It makes a difference even if you think you aren't using that drive. It also affects shutdown times.