Will CS2 run in SL with Rosetta installed?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jsinon, Aug 28, 2009.

1. jsinon macrumors newbie

Inquiring minds want to know.

CS2 does all I need from an image editor, and it seems SL will run ppc apps IF you install Rosetta. Just wondering if the things I've read about CS2 not running are with the standard SL install, which doesn't install Rosetta by default, or will it still not run even if Rosetta is installed.

Thanks,

Jeff
    (about as clueless as it gets:confused:)

2. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/22222/

So it looks like technically they at least install and run. How well they run is yet to be seen.

-Kevin

3. jsinon thread starter macrumors newbie

Excellent, just the kind of assurances I wanted. Will there be bugs? Probably, but since my livelihood doesn't depend on it, I can live with a few glitches here and there. I just didn't want to be forced to upgrade at this point in time.

4. occamsrazor macrumors 6502

occamsrazor

Anyone with PS CS2 been brave enough to try the SL upgrade yet? Any problems?

5. occamsrazor macrumors 6502

occamsrazor

Ok I took the plunge.... Installed SL as upgrade over Leopard, including Rosetta. Haven't done any real testing but so far I haven't encountered any problems with Photoshop CS2 (v9.02). I think PS is a little slower to start up, but no big deal.

6. AppleThis&That macrumors regular

AppleThis&That

How do you install Rosetta anyway? Never used it. Is it free?

7. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Rosetta is the PPC emulator which is part of OS-X. With Snow Leopard, it installs optionally, or automatically when you first launch a PPC only application.

8. AppleThis&That macrumors regular

AppleThis&That

9. AppleThis&That macrumors regular

AppleThis&That

How's the quality of it's emulation and Rosetta won't affect other programs that don't need it will it?

10. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Rosetta only executes when you are running a PPC application. It doesn't run in the background. It takes the PPC code and "translates" it into Intel on-the-fly. I'm not sure how to answer the "quality" question. It's accurate and efficient, if that helps.

So, bottom line, it doesn't affect any part of the OS, other than the PPC application which needs it.