Will customers on IUP be Upset If they don't get Special iPhone 8 Priority ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheRealAlex, Feb 20, 2017.

1. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

http://www.apple.com/shop/iphone/iphone-upgrade-program

People on the IPhone Upgrade Program feels like a Special club. Even with reservations but this year it's different. As hard as it was to get your hands on an iPhone 7 Plus last year due to low production even as expanded as it is. The iPhone 8 or iPhone Pro whatever it gets called is Special. 5.8" OLED display.

It's gonna be tough for Apple to source enough from Samsung. In short it's gonna be scarce. So what are your chances of getting an iPhone 8 or iPhone Pro if you are NOT part of the IUP ?

Close to Zero I'd wager.

Lastly my guess is that since the iPhone 8 or iPhone Pro is outside of the usual yearly Upgrade Model aka iPhone 6 then the following year 6s. And come this year, it's likely the iPhone 8 iPhone Pro due to how special it is being Amazing for the 10th Anniversary Edition version stands on its own and does not qualify for the iPhone Upgrade Program.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Most likely it will be like last year or even worst.
    There will be a small supply and high demand.
    You probably will not be able to get one for a good 2-3 weeks after.

3. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

This year isn't going to be any different than past years, in my opinion.

I think the OP is trying to create a story out of thin air.

4. TheRealAlex thread starter macrumors 65816

Come to think of it. This just hit me. Where is Apple making the iPhone 8 or iPhone Pro ?

It's unlikely that they cut production of the upcoming 7s and 7 Plus or if they are even in production yet.

But this is the first year there are 3 New top tier SKUs. I guess they killed iPhone SE production for sure.

5. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

I'm not asking for special priority or privileges, just equal access to the online inventory. I woke up at 3am eastern for the 7 to realize I was subjected to my local Apple Store inventory while people getting it shipped had a huge availability advantage. That's the part that wasn't fair.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Would be great if they start producing it in the good old US of A eventually :D
    And yes you can bet they will discontinue the old SE model and will drop the 6S price even lower probably.

7. TheRealAlex thread starter macrumors 65816

My response is I am just worried. I didn't even want a iPhone 7 Plus but last year I estimated it was gonna be the only sure way to get a 10th Anniversary Edition iPhone 8 or iPhone Pro was to be part of Apples special Club. So I joined. Now I am having doubts I am ready though. A few steps to get ready for reservation.

#1. Use an Apple Computer or iPad, Apples servers give prioity if you are using the Apple Store App to Pre-Order.
    #2. Have your Profile fully updated and filled out days ahead of time Credit card and address and all.
    #3. Because it's in your cart means Nothing. Speaking of the iPhone 8 or iPhone Pro. Just because you clicked and got in is meaningless you need to Checkout and finalize the Order ASAP.
    #4. You Only get One Chance. No shopping. If you want a 32GB Verizon iPhone Pro model that's it there no chance to go back and browse the 128GB Model and Ponder it. Have your decision made before going in, no browsing colors either.
    #5. Have made a previous Purchase it really helps, if you are a previous customer and in the IUP linked to the Apple Store App and have even made previous purchases successfully.
    #6. Have it Shipped for heavens sake. If you pick Store Pick Up you are likely limited to your stores On hand estimated allotment Yikes. Not sure if that happens again like last year but very likely. But due to the iPhone 8 or Pro being even More Limited I am hypothesizing that it will be a National allotment gross.

These are all basic tips for people in what I call Apple's Special club the IUP. If you are not in it's gonna be even tougher to get one. That is if Apple even allows the iPhone 8 or iPhone Pro to be part of the IUP.

8. Superrjamz54 macrumors 6502

Superrjamz54

Funny. I got my iPhone 7 plus the second day at a store despite it being on a 2 month back order for shipping directly.

9. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

You are worried over nothing. The phones won't go on sale until the end of October (I believe). By then, we will know for sure what the new models are and what new abilities each has.

Every year there is an initial shortage. After 3 - 4 weeks, everything usually falls in place (so to speak).

If you and others are so worried you might not get to order the latest and greatest iPhone day one, you might want to take a look at your priorities in life.

10. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68040

Lobwedgephil

Ah, another thread trying to create a controversy out of nothing.

11. DUIduckSAUCE macrumors 6502

DUIduckSAUCE

Of course they will. People on this site get upset about anything and everything.

12. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

There are those hit and miss chances where you score a device in store quickly.

Although, Apple made the mistake of not making sure there was enough iPhone stock to go around for the Apple upgrade program customers, where they were severely short handed. Then Apple tried to restrict carrier/store stock and sending it to the Upgrade program customers.

13. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

rumours of apple going into early production

there's hope

14. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

This.

I was renewing my IUP this year and did not have the same stock availability options as my GF who signed up for the plan new this year. I think that is completely unfair. it should be first come, first serve, no matter how you are paying and or if you are already part of IUP. No special treatment for anyone. Only way to make it fair.

15. Thor_1 macrumors 6502a

Same here. And ordered 2 7/7+ for the family and had them a week later. Kept watching the forums of people who ordered at o'dark thirty on launch day still not having theirs over a month later.

16. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I agree 100%. It should be equal for all. (Just so I get mine first!)

I already got family members wanting to claim my old used 7+!

17. Superrjamz54 macrumors 6502

Superrjamz54

It should have been restricted to IUP customers from the get go. Then once those customers are taken care of do the instore and directly shipped orders.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 21, 2017 ---
    Apple is in a bind if they do that. IUP is a yearly upgrade program why be forced to wait when Apple decided to slow,down the actual production of the phone. Hopefully Apple will make the phones earlier the. The shipped date and realize that people want the better phone.

18. Beenblacklisted macrumors 6502

Beenblacklisted

The next iphone due out is the iphone 7s, not the iphone 8. Sorry to bust your bubble but sometimes the truth hurts.

19. posguy99 macrumors 6502a

<sigh> The only people who will be upset are the entitled. Normal people will simply wait until the phone is available, then purchase one.

20. Superrjamz54 macrumors 6502

Superrjamz54

They are going to release both. The 7S is truly the 7 sucker model. Just an new chip with the current specs. The 8 or Pro is going to have a complete redesign with OlEd and be released at the same time as the 7 Sucker

21. C DM macrumors Westmere

Yeah, not quite what that was about the last time around ...

22. TheRealAlex thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you, ding ding ding ding......

That S really stands for Sucker in 2017.

I am so hyped for the 10th Anniversary Edition iPhone 8 or Pro whatever it's gets called you just know Apple is gonna have a huge reveleal for the 10th Edition.

I've always wished there would be a Numbered Steve Jobs 10th Anniversary Edition in all Cerwmic White with luxury packaging and box. And the Only way to buy one was to show and register an Original Iphone serial number physically at the Apple Store. And lucky selected customers would be notified via Twitter. You could only use the original iPhones to register once and only in person having the physical device.

23. C DM macrumors Westmere

Interesting conclusions being drawn about imaginary things.

24. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

You and entitlement. You clearly think everyone is entitled. It once again has nothing to do with entitlement, its the fact that I was put in a different line-up last year than those that were starting a brand new IUP. My GF had at least 5 more phone choices (sizes/colors/storage) than I did. Those that were on the plan before should not have been put behind those that were starting a new plan, everyone should get from the same batch, first come first serve.