Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mahler12x

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
California
God, there's so much conflicting information about this.

Can someone tell me with certainty if I buy a Verizon phone from the Apple Store, full price, in other words, unlocked, that it will work on T-Mobile?

The phones Verizon sells are identical to other carrier's phones now right?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Verizon phones are fully unlocked, as part of an agreement with the government when they purchased the broadband frequencies. So yes, it will work

Mahler12x

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
California
Yes it will work on T-Mobile. Verizon phones are gsm unlocked.

Ok, thanks. When you look, they're the same model number and everything. So I can order on Apple.com for pickup in store and just pay full price and bam, I'm in? I don't HAVE to get a T-Mobile version.

legioxi

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013
Ok, thanks. When you look, they're the same model number and everything. So I can order on Apple.com for pickup in store and just pay full price and bam, I'm in? I don't HAVE to get a T-Mobile version.

Correct.

legioxi

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013
So the Verizon phone and the T-Mobile phone are the EXACT same phone? Not a shred of difference?

From another thread about using a Verizon SIM in the ATT phone, it appears they are identical. If that thread is wrong then the difference would be a disabled CDMA radio on ATT and T-Mobile phones.

tok

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2012
There is no difference, but HOW do you order them without a new Verizon contract, that's the question...

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
Definitely works, our son is using the Verizon iPhone 6 that we purchased at the Apple store on T Mobile right now.

Mahler12x

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
California
Damn, trying to reserve it online and they force you to pick a Verizon plan first. Guess I have to just line up?

Guess that's the rub of it. You can get an AT&T or Verizon and buy it outright, but you have to try your luck in line rather than reserving it in a nice civilized manner the way you can with a T-Mobile phone. Kinda stupid but whatever.

----------

walk into an apple store and purchase a verizon phone outright.

Does the same hold true, I take it, for an AT&T phone you buy outright? You can use it on T-Mobile as well?

bwsteg

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2012
Queens NY
NO..Ask for a verizon device only unit...

I know last year with the iphone 5s, this was a possible scenario..

You can buy the phone with plan, new line, etc. Than at the store, return the order and repurchase at full price...

I'm not sure if they're still allowing this to be done..

myztikal47

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2007
Can someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Apple won't let you buy the Verizon or AT&T iPhone 6 for full price, only the T-Mobile version? At least that's what my Apple store told me....

Akack

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2011
USA
Can someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Apple won't let you buy the Verizon or AT&T iPhone 6 for full price, only the T-Mobile version? At least that's what my Apple store told me....

Wrong. I purchased my Verizon 5S last year and Verizon 6 this past weekend from the same Apple Store with no issues. Again I purchased them non contract device only and using on T Mobile. Seems like you need to go to another Apple Store......

meech

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2010

I bought a full price no contract att 6 yesterday at the seattle Southcenter store. Ask for a Device Only phone. You have to buy it at the retail store...no way to order it online.

dodoei

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2005
I bought a full price no contract att 6 yesterday at the seattle Southcenter store. Ask for a Device Only phone. You have to buy it at the retail store...no way to order it online.

did you buy Verizon device only? and did they ask you for SSN with the device only purchase?

Mahler12x

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
California

And that's where things get complicated. This morning I went to both Sacramento area Apple Stores that both showed stock of Verizon 6+ 128gb and 64gb in gold or silver. Got to the first one just before 8am and lo and behold, 6 fine Chinese individuals each had bought 2 a piece and exhausted the stock.

Went to the other store and, yes, you guessed it, same scenario. They ran out just 3 people ahead of us. Just where the, um, rest of us kind of started. I asked one of the folks in the front what time they'd arrived and they told me just before 6am.

Look, I'm totally not ragging on the scalpers. I'm all about free markets. But I'm also all about Apple making it a little easier for us folks who actually want to USE the phone's we're buying and maybe opening it up for us to reserve and pay full price online for store pickup. That would at least give us a better chance.

I was up at 4am and just had to see a bunch of available phones and there was nothing I could do about it. Guess I'll just have to line up at 5am.

Raffe87

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2014
And that's where things get complicated. This morning I went to both Sacramento area Apple Stores that both showed stock of Verizon 6+ 128gb and 64gb in gold or silver. Got to the first one just before 8am and lo and behold, 6 fine Chinese individuals each had bought 2 a piece and exhausted the stock.

Went to the other store and, yes, you guessed it, same scenario. They ran out just 3 people ahead of us. Just where the, um, rest of us kind of started. I asked one of the folks in the front what time they'd arrived and they told me just before 6am.

Look, I'm totally not ragging on the scalpers. I'm all about free markets. But I'm also all about Apple making it a little easier for us folks who actually want to USE the phone's we're buying and maybe opening it up for us to reserve and pay full price online for store pickup. That would at least give us a better chance.

I was up at 4am and just had to see a bunch of available phones and there was nothing I could do about it. Guess I'll just have to line up at 5am.

Dude... I'm in the same boat as you, went to the same store at Arden mall and was turned away. As I was in line, I was thinking about how I hope the people in the front were not buying 2 each, sucks that that was the case. My plan was the same as yours, buy a Verizon 6 plus at full price to use on AT&T.

If you happen to get your hands on two and aren't looking for a markup, PM me and we can meet up. I could do the same, if you wanted. Looking for silver 64gb. The scalpers do piss me off, I couldn't get down early enough because I work.

P.S. Has anyone had any luck reserving a Verizon or AT&T phone as new contract, then changing at the store and buying device only? Will you actually be in a contract or is there still time to back out?

Last edited:

Mahler12x

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
California
P.S. Has anyone had any luck reserving a Verizon or AT&T phone as new contract, then changing at the store and buying device only? Will you actually be in a contract or is there still time to back out.

I'm wondering the same. Not being able to buy phones outright on Apple.com automatically gives scalpers the upper hand.

I was at Arden there too. They clearly had enough for those of us actually buying for ourselves and family, but the first 8 or so people in line were clearly scalpers so, nada. They got there before the mall opened its doors at 6am.

Raffe87

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2014
I'm wondering the same. Not being able to buy phones outright on Apple.com automatically gives scalpers the upper hand.

I was at Arden there too. They clearly had enough for those of us actually buying for ourselves and family, but the first 8 or so people in line were clearly scalpers so, nada. They got there before the mall opened its doors at 6am.

I think this might be a solution if this comes up again. Given that Verizon had 14 day cancellation policy on new accounts, we could probably sign up as a new account/new number (so no porting issues) and select in store pickup. Then when arriving to pick up the phone (or later), cancel the line and return the phone (unopened) and re-buy it as device only. The worst that could happen is they take the phone back, you get a full refund and they don't resell it to you, right?

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012

So wait you are against Chinese folks buying phones? What if they were not chinese, you would not be upset?

Mahler12x

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
California
Dude... I'm in the same boat as you, went to the same store at Arden mall and was turned away. As I was in line, I was thinking about how I hope the people in the front were not buying 2 each, sucks that that was the case. My plan was the same as yours, buy a Verizon 6 plus at full price to use on AT&T.

If you happen to get your hands on two and aren't looking for a markup, PM me and we can meet up. I could do the same, if you wanted. Looking for silver 64gb. The scalpers do piss me off, I couldn't get down early enough because I work.

P.S. Has anyone had any luck reserving a Verizon or AT&T phone as new contract, then changing at the store and buying device only? Will you actually be in a contract or is there still time to back out?

I think this might be a solution if this comes up again. Given that Verizon had 14 day cancellation policy on new accounts, we could probably sign up as a new account/new number (so no porting issues) and select in store pickup. Then when arriving to pick up the phone (or later), cancel the line and return the phone (unopened) and re-buy it as device only. The worst that could happen is they take the phone back, you get a full refund and they don't resell it to you, right?

I've read where folks did that last year. Not sure if they're allowing it this year though. It sounds like a hassle but today seemed to be Verizon stock day at all the Apple stores. Might be worth it.

----------

So wait you are against Chinese folks buying phones? What if they were not chinese, you would not be upset?

If you read, I said I have nothing against Chinese folks be they scalpers or not. I don't even have a problem with scalping. It's just annoying that Apple doesn't allow for full price pick-up reservations on anything but the extremely elusive T-Mobile, so that we have a chance.

I watched a bunch of stock of exactly what I wanted just sit there online and there was nothing I could do about it. Had to get to a store and compete with scalpers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.