will everything transfer over to iPhone 4 when plugged into iTunes?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bina12834, Jun 8, 2010.

1. bina12834 macrumors regular

im upgrading to an iPhone 4 from an iPhone 3G and this will be the first time that ill be upgrading a phone on AT&T.

when i get my iPhone 4 in the mail and plug it into iTunes, will everything automatically transfer over to the iPhone 4 (contacts, music, pics, apps, videos, etc.?)

2. bina12834 thread starter macrumors regular

3. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

That's usually how it works. App developers will start updating their apps to iOS4 compatibility in the next few weeks.

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Yes, but make sure you sync and backup your 3GS before activating your 4.

5. bina12834 thread starter macrumors regular

my 3G always sync's when i plug it into itunes. does it backup as well or do i need to do something else for that? what does backing up do that syncing doesnt?

6. androiphone macrumors 65816

when you sync it says after 'performing backup' if you let that finish then you are backed up.
    backing up just saves your data like texts and contacts so if you dropped your phone in the sea, ect all your contacts can be sunc to your new replacement, I personally use gmail and have them sunc over the air

7. tigress666 macrumors 68040

He may not have it in his prefs to automatically backup (I think you can tell it not to).

8. flynz4 macrumors 68040

You can also right click on your iPhone name in the iTunes left panel, and select "backup"

/Jim

9. bina12834 thread starter macrumors regular

ok it def backs up when i plug it into itunes then because ive seen that step when it syncing. the backing up usually takes the most time of the syncing process.

10. Loves2spoon macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

I always like to restore as new on a new iPhone. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside!

Plus it's fun to sit there and re-add 200+ contacts!! :rolleyes: lol

11. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

I second your first part, restoring from a backup is always a crapshot as to how it will turn out :)

Part 2, I find it easier to just sync to my Outlook 2007, but I'm a dirty filty Windows user ;)

12. Sebby macrumors 6502a

I will restore from backup then reset settings.

13. Tankfantry macrumors regular

Tankfantry

This was the same question I had. Still using the 8GB 3G and when I order the iPhone 4 I didn't want to have to actually go into an AT&T store to have it activated and transferred.

14. bina12834 thread starter macrumors regular

how do you restore from backup?

if you dont restore from backup will you just lose your texts, settings and have to re-enter your contacts? i dont have the many contacts so i dont mind re-entering them and i dont care about having my texts saved and i dont have that many settings changed from stock. Will apps, ringtones, pics and music still sync with the new phone if you "restore as new" with the new phone?

15. bina12834 thread starter macrumors regular

anyone?

16. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

When you first activate your iPhone iTunes will look to see what iPhones have been synced to it before. It will then show you a list of those iPhones and ask if you want to use one of those to restore or if you want to restore it as new, i.e. no data.

If you choose your previous iPhone it will download all your contacts, apps, music, movies, etc. that was on your old phone to your new phone. If there is stuff on your phone you don't want xfered just delete it before you do your final sync and backup.

If you choose new you will get a blank slate.

17. PorterRocks macrumors 6502

PorterRocks

When you plug in your iPhone 4 for the first time it will give you two options.

Set up as a new device

Restore from iPhone backup

Select "Restore from iPhone backup" and proceed. It'll all be there just as it was on your 3G.

EDIT: What Chupa said.

18. bina12834 thread starter macrumors regular

so nothing will transfer if i choose to setup as new? no music, pics, apps etc?

19. Jr1985 macrumors 6502

no but you can just sync with iTunes afterwards to transfer music and apps on to your new iphone. I'm not sure about contacts and texts though.

Does anyone know what will happen if you sync a backup from a jailbroken iPhone to the new phone? Does iTunes filter out the jailbroken stuff as it's not apple approved?

20. bina12834 thread starter macrumors regular

i dont care about texts and i dont have many contacts so i dont have a problem taking the time to re-enter them.

so after i set up my iphone 4 as new in itunes i can just sync all my music and apps from my 3G onto the 4? what about pics?

21. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Jailbreak data will sometimes "leak" over so it's good to always setup as new if you jailbreak. If you plan to jailbreak iPhone 4 you can always get all your text and other data through other means than iTunes.

Bare in mind I have always restored from a backup and I don't have issues.

22. jessea macrumors member

I was wondering if restoring from a backup also holds information for games and such. Anybody know? Is it basically a carbon copy of your current iPhone?

23. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

What about the micro sim card? The phone comes with one? Then iTunes updates it? This is the part i'm most concerned about with having it shipped home.

24. bina12834 thread starter macrumors regular

yes, it comes with the micro sim.....just sync the new phone to itunes and it will transfer your plan over.

25. thehopscotch macrumors regular

thehopscotch

I had posted this in another thread but no one has replied and since it somewhat has to do with this thread, I thought I'd ask my questions over here...

I got a new MacBook Pro several months ago. Up until now, I've always synched my iPhone up with my work computer (PC). My work PC has all of my backups currently on it (with apps, photos, contacts, etc), and I've never attempted connecting my iPhone to my MBP.

I'd like to begin using my MBP as the main synching computer (especially when I get my iPhone 4), as my MBP has all of my music on it (2000 or so songs). Problem is...my iPhone currently has no music on it...so I can't just backup my current iPhone on my MBP.

Has anyone experienced this before? Any insight on how to properly transition to the MBP being my main synching source?

Is there a way to connect my iPhone...transfer everything onto the MBP's iTunes (minus music), and then transfer songs to the iPhone from the MBP?