Will Google Maps be accepted by Apple?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by bjones521, Sep 20, 2012.

1. bjones521 macrumors regular

I use my maps app everyday and apple maps just doesnt cut it. The question for me isnt whether google will release a maps app. its whether apple will accept it. Apple never accepted google search. and I dont see them accepting another vastly superior google product either. Apple wants you to use siri and maps. not google search and google maps. How else will apple maps get better if no one is using it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cZ4mdrlWYM&list=UUK8sQmJBp8GCxrOtXWBpyEA&index=11&feature=plcp

What do you guys think?

2. Squid7085 macrumors 6502a

Yes, they will. I will bet money on it. And what do you mean they didn't accept Google Search? It's sitting on my screen right now.

3. madsci954 macrumors 68030

They let in other Google apps, I can't see why they wouldn't let GMaps in.

4. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Probably, yes.

But obviously only one that doesn't replicate everything the previous app could do, such as offering an API to other apps or intercepting links from mail or Safari...

5. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Why not. There are other mapping apps in the store today.

6. meder87 macrumors regular

I think if they were going to release Google Maps, it woud have already happen. Google and world has known about Google Maps being removed since June of this year. Google readied iOS users by releasing a YouTube app. Nothing has been said about a Google Maps app. Expect the worse with a Google Maps app not coming to iOS.

7. bjones521 thread starter macrumors regular

The new google search is not on your phone. Did you see the youtube link?? Ive been waiting for that for over 6 weeks.

8. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

They let Chrome in, so I'd assume they'd let Maps in as well.

9. MBPnoob macrumors regular

Hell, they let in Google VOICE... never thought that would happen

10. bjones521 thread starter macrumors regular

Wow Meder87...you were right! lol

11. jonney92 macrumors member

google have already said theyve submitted their google maps to the app store

12. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Yes, they have to unless they want to face the most hellacious backlash they've ever seen. They are currently racing the clock to try and improve their own app before approving Google's. That effort may largely be in vain for the short term.

13. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

Considering that there are already navigation apps in the store (which have been around for a long time), there would be absolutely no excuse for Apple to deny a Google Maps app.

Plus, there's the fact that it would result in even worse press surrounding the whole Maps thing, if Apple were to block such an app.

----------

It could be concluded that Google is waiting for the apparent shock of Google Maps' removal to really sink into the minds of iOS users. Perhaps after a few days, or weeks, Google will release an iOS Maps app to much fanfare and celebration.

Personally, while I'm not that bothered by the changes to the Maps app, I would welcome Google's offering.

14. Tzuten macrumors 6502

What is the incentive for google to release that maps for the iOS at all? There is no revenue generation for them unless they put ads of charged for the app. Other apps it makes sense for them. Voice for buying their credits. Chrome to increase their browser market share, etc etc. If I were Google I would not release the app period and have people contemplate switching to android. Or charge Apple a ton in licensing fees, but Apple wouldn't do that. That would be admitting they messed up with their own maps. Think people.

15. pullfocus macrumors 65816

pullfocus

Either that or Google waited until iOS 6 came out so they could release theirs, basically saying "HA! See?"

16. fins831 macrumors 6502a

So basically we have become dependent on google maps, an App, but hate their phones....oh the irony.

17. flameproof macrumors 6502a

flameproof

Apple Maps is the strongest argument so far to buy Android.

18. kmichalec macrumors 6502a

It's already been submitted to the App store for approval, and Google is hoping it will be released as early as tomorrow (fingers crossed).

19. flameproof macrumors 6502a

flameproof

But I guess the Apple Crap-Map can't be deleted.

----------

If you are a business you can pay for higher visibility I guess. That's were Google's revenue comes from in general. More Maps users - more clicks = more money for Google.

So a free app makes perfect sense.

20. pittpanthersfan macrumors 6502

pittpanthersfan

My guess is to appease small businesses and Google Places stuff.

EDIT: And, of course, to harvest user data.

21. Kurwenal macrumors 6502a

Kurwenal

One word: data. Google has an insatiable appetite for data, which it sells. That's why Google offers other products on the iOS platform, and offers many other products for "free." If Google produces an app for iOS (who knows if that will happen), Google will do so because then it can sell what is its real product: the users. I.e., us.

22. fastfinger macrumors member

If they don't Apple should allow users revert back to older firmware. Seems this would be the easiest & fairest option.

23. cynics macrumors G4

Problem will be lack of integration though. Clicking address links, Siri, other apps, etc will still bring up Apple maps.

My main problem with Apple map is its like tom tom address can be so far off there actual location its crazy. I just spent some time typing in addresses into Apple maps, Android Google maps, Garmin nuvi, and a Tom Tom standalone. The most accurate with a small sample of addresses I knew and there locations was the Garmin nuvi and a very close second was Google maps. The nuvi was actually pointing at the actual buildings and nearly dead on except one house. In a very distant 3rd and near it make no difference 4th was Apple maps then tom tom.

The test I did actually really impressed me with the Garmin vs the rest. If you have the means I highly suggest you guys test this out.

24. pablovi macrumors newbie

I don't think you understand how Google earns a profit... No, is not by selling ads! They sell information!

25. cynics macrumors G4

As if Apple doesn't do this. I at least want it too work....

Btw everyone...

Settings > General > About > Advertising > Limit Ad Tracking (turn on)

Nice little feature of ios6