Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RunOverProducti

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 26, 2008
I have the iPhone 3G S, but I don't think I will be eligible for an upgrade.

Because I have the 3G S, will I be able to upgrade to the new iPhone coming out?

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
AT&T?

It depends on how much your bill is. Log into your AT&T account online and find the area that lets you check upgrade availability. (Or something named close to that.)

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
At&T eligibility is not right.
I had an original iPhone and a 3G, my monthly bill had been very high due to work expenses with roaming charges, above $150 every month for 16 months.
My account info online always showed upgrade elegible for a future date (initially Dec 2009, then pushed to March 2010)...and so on...

Go to the AT&T store and check with the manager.

dmx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
If your with AT&T, stay tuned. They'll more than likely announce how they are going to handle it. They know that a lot of 3GS users (and 3G users) who bought around the last upgrade are going to want the iPhone 4. My guess is they will allow upgrades at something like $100 over regular subsidized pricing, assuming you've had the 3G or 3GS contract for at least 1 year.

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
I'm sure they'll probably do what they did last year, especially if verizon isn't getting the phone anytime soon. I don't see them giving up and opportunity to lock millions of users into another 2 years. My wen site says I am eligible on June 20 for a full upgrade.

beamer8912

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2009
Depends on when you got it. Probably no way you'll be able to upgrade for the fully reduced rate. But you might be able to for some extra $$$$.

j3yq

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2007
Iowa
Didnt they offer something when the 3GS came out? I'm sure It will be the same.

jlyanks85

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2008
I bought the iphone 3g in December 2008, so I had to pass on the 3gs since I wasn't upgrade eligible.

Now I'm finally eligible in August so I can get the upcoming iphone, but everybody else is difference so I don't know how it would be for the OP

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
you can

log into AT&T wireless and find out your renew date! it's right on the site look to the right of your phone. Check upgrade options click it! It says I can upgrade 11/20/2010. not what I wanted to here but life goes on. last year they let people renew early but that is still 6 months early from the 2 year agreement I made with them. So I am not going to whine

capnben

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2010
Oddly, my AT&T upgrade eligibility page says I am ready for an upgrade June 20th... which is LESS than one year since I bought my 3GS. Quirk in the system??? I have seen a bunch of people who claim the June 20th date.... maybe that is when the new phone will be available.

A few posts up someone mentioned their bill is over $150. In the past they have allowed early upgrades if your monthly spending is over $100. One note... the $100 limit does not include taxes, fees, AND roaming charges. Your plan plus features must exceed $100 per month. Why am I sure about this you ask??? My monthly bill was 99.99 plus taxes and such and they claimed that was not over $100. This is obviously true... but a little nit picky.

ZenoVT

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2009
"iPhone Upgrade
As a valued AT&T customer, we can offer you a discounted iPhone upgrade with a new 2-year commitment and an $18 upgrade fee. "

That's what it lists under my upgrade eligibility. I got the iPhone 3GS the day it came out. So I think AT&T is being super generous for this upcoming iPhone release.

zub3qin

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
"iPhone Upgrade
As a valued AT&T customer, we can offer you a discounted iPhone upgrade with a new 2-year commitment and an $18 upgrade fee. "

That's what it lists under my upgrade eligibility. I got the iPhone 3GS the day it came out. So I think AT&T is being super generous for this upcoming iPhone release.

Look carefully at the prices. You are paying $200 over what someone who has not upgraded for 2 years gets.

If you are with AT&T for 2 years, you get the best deal (in the past $99 iPhone)

If you are at least 1 year, I think they give you the "discount" plus $18 upgrade fee which (in the past I think it is like $299)--

splashnader

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2008
Via Satellite
iPhone 3GS Frequently Asked Questions
Pricing and Upgrading

AT&T, like most U.S. carriers, offers a variety of phones that we sell below our actual cost when customers agree to sign service agreements. In general, the more a customer spends with us, the quicker they become eligible for a price break on a new device. For example, iPhone customers who spend more than $99 a month per line with us generally are eligible for an upgrade between 12 and 18 months into their contract.

New and Qualified Customers
“New and qualified” iPhone 3GS and iPhone 3G pricing is available to all new AT&T customers and existing AT&T customers who have fulfilled their previous agreement and sign a new two-year service agreement.

We’re now pleased to offer our iPhone 3G customers who are upgrade eligible in July, August or September 2009 our best upgrade pricing, beginning Thursday, June 18

read more: http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/internet/iphone-faq.jsp?source=IC98K1ipc00jtlFQ

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
Houston, TX
I have the iPhone 3G S, but I don't think I will be eligible for an upgrade.

Because I have the 3G S, will I be able to upgrade to the new iPhone coming out?

you'll be able to but like last year it will cost more than an eligible upgrade...I've had all three iPhones since '07

I upgraded to a 8GB 3G from the OG and payed 399.00 (because I had a past due balance)

I upgraded to a 3GS last summer and a 16GB cost me 499.00(with no past due balance)

AT&T will find a way to get this new phone in your hands, less than full retail but it will be more than it will be for those eligible to upgrade...wait until about a month after the launch and you'll see the question you should be asking is: "am I willing to pay what it will cost me to upgrade?"

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
last year att made it so if you bought it the first 3 months and had over 100 dollars a month on spending fees your good for the low price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.