Will I loose my unlimited data?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by loskickking23, Sep 2, 2011.

1. loskickking23 macrumors 6502a

I was thinking of selling my 4 and using my 1st gen iPhone until the 5 is released.... Someone that didn't work for AT&T told me that I would loose my unlimited going back to that phone.... Is there any truth to this ? And if so, any way around it ?

2. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

No, as long as u aren't updating/changing ur contract, ur unlimited data won't change. U can use any phone u own from that carrier. In fact, a TON of people are doing exactly what it doing.

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

But the data plan of the first iPhone is different than the rest, so if the OP alters his plan, he will loose his current unlimited data plan.

Original iPhone unlimited data plan $20
    iPhone 4 unlimited data plan $30

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

You can't use "any" phone ... only smartphones, but I think the 2G should retain the unlimited data if you have the option to use the $20 unlimited. What I'm hearing is, that people are having to pick between the $15/$25 plans even on the 2G though.

5. loskickking23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

If they aren't going to take my data plan I am going to do it...if they are then I am going to sell my 1st gen and use my 4 for a back up phone from here on out.... They are already going to charge me to transfer phones... I wish it was the same sim so could just swap em out...The data plan plays a big part of my selling or keeping for a backup phone in the future... And the fact that I love the 4 isn't helping...:eek:

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

call AT&T and seé what they say.
    personally, i'd just avoid the risk and keep using your iphone 4 (sell it later). sure you might lose a bit money, but at least you have your unlimited for sure.

7. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

Jesus, I never noticed how many people say "loose." How the hell did this start? I wasn't even born in the USA and yet my English is exponentially better than most Americans'.

8. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

You need to step off your horse. There's many reasons why people misspell things, and by your post, you seem smart enough to figure those reasons out.

Btw, you have to capitalize the "c" in California.

(Did you see what I did there?)

9. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

In that case, you too should understand the difference between misspelling a word on what I'm sure is a consistent basis, e.g. "loose" instead of "lose" or "there" instead of "their" or what have you, and failing to capitalize something on account of laziness. But in any event, I was just thinking out loud; I really don't want to get into a debate about this. Sorry to hijack the thread.

EDIT: Yes, I see what you did there. At least you didn't scour my entire post history and quote what I'm sure are hundreds of capitalization errors I've made :)

10. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Haha, that made me laugh :)
    So yeah, OP. If you have the option to go to the $20 unlimited plan, you should be fine. If you don't see that option, then you'll probably lose your unlimited data. The problem is, you can't find out what your data options are until you put the SIM into the phone (which may change the data plan immediately). But as I mentioned earlier, you should call and try to keep your iPhone 4 (if possible) so there's no question of the unlimited plan going anywhere.