Will Installing a Backup Restore the App Data If I Don't Install the App?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MICHAELSD, Jan 8, 2014.

1. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Let's say I have apps with saved data in iCloud but I only want a handful of the 100+ to transfer to my 5s since I won't be installing the other apps. When I install this backup on my 5s will it restore saved data for all apps regardless of whether they're installed or just installed apps? Would uncheck apps I don't need but there's no bulk option.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

3. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

So the ~ 2GB of other app data won't be restored onto my 5s when I do the iCloud backup? Thanks!

4. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

My opinion is that it is restored. To save time I've stopped an iCloud backup when the apps started coming down. I then connected to iTunes and did a normal sync. Very anecdotal and one of these days I'll check it using iExplorer after a wipe if nobody finds documentation. if I happen to be right, I'm curious what process would clean up the orphaned files/directories.

5. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Shame for users with 3GB+ app data they don't need that there's no bulk deselect option.

6. blarivee macrumors 6502

jav6454 is wrong. When you restore from the cloud, it will restore everything on your 5S. It's basically your iTunes backup on your computer stored in the cloud. You can delete the apps once the restore is done, unless you are concerned with the time to restore.