iPad Will iPad Air be hard to get at launch?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ucfgrad11, Oct 24, 2013.

1. ucfgrad11 macrumors member

Will I have trouble getting one on launch day? Say about 6 o'clock after work at an Apple store? I'm planning on getting a 64 GB one so hopefully most consumers will be looking for the lower memory ones.

2. Klae17 macrumors 6502a

Klae17

Order online!

3. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

If I had to guess, I'd bet it's not too hard to get. IPad mini is the hotter ticket.

4. Brittany246 macrumors 6502a

You can order it online on November 1st, and choose in store pick up instead of waiting to have it shipped to your house.

5. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

I'll probably mosey on over to my local Apple store at about 8 or so and join the festivities. I'm sure it'll be much less crazy than the iPhone 5s launch.

6. ucfgrad11 thread starter macrumors member

I can do that? I ordered my iPhone 5s online at 3AM (Eastern time here in DC) and it mailed out about a week later. I'm hoping this launch won't be as crazy so I can just walk in and grab one. So I can just select pick up in store?

7. Macalway macrumors 68000

Order online, Pick up in store . No problemo.

This way works great, as I recall. In and out in 5; that is if your not going accessorize.

8. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

I didn't think in store pickup was available on launch days. It would be great if true.

9. Brittany246 macrumors 6502a

In the Apple Store app when you click on the iPad air banner at the top it says "Use the Apple Store app to order iPad Air and get free shipping or in-store pickup." So I guess you'll be able to order it on the 1st and pick it up in store as long as they're still in stock at your specific Apple store when you ordered it.

10. ucfgrad11 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks!

11. Macalway macrumors 68000

Thanks!

I just checked this and indeed it says that.

BTW, whyTF don't they have an iPad app?:D

12. bobright macrumors 601

How do you know this? If you're going by what the Apple Store app says I wouldn't believe it as I called them and they said they don't know yet. Their website doesn't give that option either unless im missing it somewhere.

13. Macalway macrumors 68000

Well sure, but then there's the other page that says this, so that's two places ( the other place looks more definitive)

And, why not? It works great. Of course you need to know before the fact, but I think this will come out soon

14. AppleRobert macrumors 603

It might depending on how much people want to try it out first since the Mini will not be released till later. Then at least they know what the Air is all about.

I do think the second Mini is the hotter ticket though as well.

15. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

We haven't heard anything about the supply chain on the Air being hard to get, and iPads never sold nearly as good as the new phones, so it's hard to say how hard it will be.

I would suspect you'll get one nearly guaranteed in time for the holidays, but the first few weeks might be a little rough.

16. jps1012 macrumors 6502a

jps1012

oh wow thats awesome. wonder if it will work to pick up launch day.

17. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

I do not expect there to be much of a line for the iPad Airs. I think it was for the iPad 3 my wife went up about 9:30 and walked right in to a mostly empty store.

I'm heading up about 7:30 to join in the fun and get mine. I would be shocked if there are more than a dozen people there.

32GB WiFi Space Gray Air come to Papa!

18. priyamsingh macrumors member

No it won't just don't buy it at an Apple Store as it'll be very busy. Go to a store like Best Buy or something they'll all have them on launch day (I asked).

19. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

order online and you don't get it day 1

20. Klae17 macrumors 6502a

Klae17

You can also try college campus bookstores they might get 2.

21. mncmoore macrumors regular

mncmoore

22. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

Did this when I purchased iPad 3 on launch . Could have just walked in either way they had plenty and this was the first iPad with retina. Only iPad to ever sell out on launch and be almost impossible to get the first two weeks out was iPad 2 and the mini.

23. xNYMetsx macrumors 6502

xNYMetsx

32GB Verizon? I wouldn't think so but what do you think?

24. Seniordan macrumors regular

Are iPad launches generally as crazy as the iPhone launches? I've always just pre ordered online and don't recall what previous years were like.

25. marcello696 macrumors regular

I stood in line 4 hours for the iPad 2 since they didnt do pre-orders and was barely able to get a 32gb At&T model. For iPad 1 and 3 I did pre-orders and with the iPad 3 my Apple Store barely had a line from what I was told.

With a lot of people wanting the retina mini, I'm not expecting too much of an issue getting one without standing in line on launch day.