Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
With the complaints regarding the new iPad Air, what will the iPad Mini RD experience when released in a few weeks? Same kind of headaches?

Last edited:

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
With the complaints regarding the new iPad Air, what will the iPad Mini RD experience when released in a few weeks? Same kind of headaches?

Yes. There will also be a very small group of people that will complain about the MiniR as well.

The MiniR will also sell millions, and most buyers will be completely satisfied with their purchase.

DMoggo

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2013
UK
Yes. There will also be a very small group of people that will complain about the MiniR as well.

The MiniR will also sell millions, and most buyers will be completely satisfied with their purchase.

And a large majority will accept mediocrity at a premium :)

Zepaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
MN
Pointless speculation thread, activate! How could we possibly speculate about this unreleased product's penchant to arrive with defects?

protoxx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2013
Yes same issue, being purchased by crazed hypochondriac OCD types with poor eyesight who repeatedly return flawless examples and post their delusions on the web.

DMoggo

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2013
UK
Seriously? Apple iPad mediocre?

Wow. We will have to agree to disagree.

Technologically fantastic, they just keep letting themselves down with screen issues on their products.

Makes me sad as I love their stuff :)

----------

Yes same issue, being purchased by crazed hypochondriac OCD types with poor eyesight who repeatedly return flawless examples and post their delusions on the web.

Do you really believe what you've just said?!

53x12

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
Pointless speculation thread, activate! How could we possibly speculate about this unreleased product's penchant to arrive with defects?

I think that is obvious this is a speculative thread as it hasn't been released yet. That is the whole point of this thread, speculate, make a guess, what do you think...etc.

I'm guessing it will have same issues with the screens as the iPad Air.

Zepaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
MN
I think that is obvious this is a speculative thread as it hasn't been released yet. That is the whole point of this thread, speculate, make a guess, what do you think...etc.

But based on what?! Baseless speculation is not fun. Give me a reason past it will or won't.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Must not be following forum.
Way to be vague there.

Are you talking about the pink/blue/yellow hue discussions?

IMO, I have yet to see an iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad launch that hasn't had an "issues" thread about the hue of the screen.

So if the iPad 1, iPad 2, iPad 3, iPad 4, iPad mini, and iPad Air have all had threads about those issues, then yes ... it stands to reason that the retina iPad mini will also have those issues.

If you're talking about something more specific, you need to specify.

Nykwil

macrumors 65816
Nov 5, 2002
Cyberspace

i think someone needs to get out of the forums. You will always hear more about defects than positives on a forum catered to the product you're interested in. People are always more willing to voice their negative responses than positives, so the negatives you read on here just gets blown out of proportion.

Edit: and those with defects to point out tend to do so looking for confirmation of their findings and will usually argue their point across more on here till they are deemed all knowing and right for their views.

also, im pretty sure there are plenty of samsung paid canvassers on this site.

DMoggo

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2013
UK
i think someone needs to get out of the forums. You will always hear more about defects than positives on a forum catered to the product you're interested in. People are always more willing to voice their negative responses than positives, so the negatives you read on here just gets blown out of proportion.

Do you have an iPad Air?

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Technologically fantastic, they just keep letting themselves down with screen issues on their products.

I hate to tell you this, but there are humans involved in the manufacturing process. As carbon based life forms, we are incapable of producing a 100% perfect manufacturing run of millions of electronic devices. This is not an Apple limitation. This is a human being limitation. The percentage of screens with "issues" is very minor. Outside of MacRumors you don't hear a peep. This is not antennagate. This is a mix of OCD plus some legitimate manufacturing tolerance issues. Apple has one of the best customer service programs in the industry. If your iPad has "issues", return or exchange it. Most don't have issues.

Nykwil

macrumors 65816
Nov 5, 2002
Cyberspace
Do you have an iPad Air?

no, I've seen it in person, it looks great and feels great. But, whats that got to do about me making an observation about the obvious that happens around here? I shouldn't say I don't get the complaints I see in these forums, because it's macrumors, and all it's been lately are complaints over the mundane. People need to take a step back and realize they don't need to part with their money if they don't want to, and there are bigger things to worry about than worrying about how you wanna spend your money on a gadget that 7 years ago was non existent.

I'm waiting for the iPad Mini type R.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008

Makes me sad as I love their stuff :)

Huh? The percentage of people with screen issues is most likely around 1-2% at most. People only post in a forum when they have an issue, other than the fanboys who post when their item is perfect. Most people don't care.

And even if you do get one with an issue...Apple replaces them...

My only complaint with the Air screen is that they didn't laminate it to the glass so there is still an air gap. Once they do that they will have perfected the iPad and need to add some new technology to make it compelling to upgrade.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Huh? The percentage of people with screen issues is most likely around 1-2% at most. People only post in a forum when they have an issue, other than the fanboys who post when their item is perfect. Most people don't care.

And even if you do get one with an issue...Apple replaces them...

My only complaint with the Air screen is that they didn't laminate it to the glass so there is still an air gap. Once they do that they will have perfected the iPad and need to add some new technology to make it compelling to upgrade.
1-2%? That seems awfully high. If Apple sold 3 million Airs over launch weekend it would mean roughly 30K had display issues. No way do I believe that.

Kaizen

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2006
Most don't have issues.

You should be careful confusing 'most who have issues don't recognize them' with 'most don't have issues'

Every ipad air I've seen (and I'm not saying every ipad air that's been manufactured, just the five I've seen), have very obvious and inconsistent screen tints. Some were worse that others but all were brownish on the left and pinkish on the right.

The fact that some who see the same thing either don't recognize it or don't report it online does not mean it's an imaginary issue.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
The fact that some who see the same thing either don't recognize it or don't report it online does not mean it's an imaginary issue.

I understand what you are saying, but if millions of people buy use and enjoy their iPads, and 30 people in MacRumors complain about tint issues, then what's the point? If most people do not see or experience an issue, does it really exist because your or I perceive it?

Your only choice is to not buy the iPad. Apple is not going to modify its manufacturing process to adjust their screen tint to resolve an "issue" that impacts such a small percentage of people. If the tint or screen color or gamut or temperature or whatever of the screen is good enough for 99% of people buying the iPad, then no, it is not an issue, at least not an Apple issue. It is an issue for the 1% of people who are sensitive to it.

Aetherhole

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2009
Tustin, CA
You should be careful confusing 'most who have issues don't recognize them' with 'most don't have issues'

Every ipad air I've seen (and I'm not saying every ipad air that's been manufactured, just the five I've seen), have very obvious and inconsistent screen tints. Some were worse that others but all were brownish on the left and pinkish on the right.

Absolutely correct. Most don't recognize them or don't care enough.

I'm pretty sensitive to screen issues and new release always worry me. In my experience, I've had issues with iPad gen 1 through 3 displays; gen 4 didn't have issues for me. Now that I have the Air, I can add that to the "no-issue" tab.

But, screen issues are not limited to new releases of the iPad only. I've had two 24" iMacs that I've bought with issue. The first 27" iMac that I got had yellowing on the bottom. My 15" rMBP had ghosting issues.

But, you know what, as frustrating as these issues are, EVERY time I've had issue, I've taken it to an Apple store and had replacements offered IMMEDIATELY. If I had further issues, I did the same thing until resolved. I still buy Apple products because of this very service.

I've noticed screen issues on other products that I've owned, Sony SXRD, Sony XBR LCD, Pioneer Elite Kuro, Playstation Vita, Samsung Galaxy S, Galaxy S2, and even most recently my Nexus 7. I'll tell you, getting replacements for any of those was much more of a frustrating experience.

Will the rMini have issues out of the gate? Abso-freakin-lutely. Just like the release of any new technology, there will be problems. But, for me, it's the gamble that I'm willing to accept to be an early adopter of new tech.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.