Will iPad Next have retinas displayed?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by yhellotharsir, Aug 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yhellotharsir macrumors member

Hey guys the iPad is awesome and true it's only been out for 3-4 months but what about an iPad with a Retina Display like on the iPhone 4, would that be possible and will Apple do it?

Who wants this?

Thanks

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

iPad with a retina display would have more pixels than the 30" cinema display. Check out my thread on how many people wouldn't pay extra for that kind of awesomeness.

3. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

I watched Toy Story 2 with my son last night on the iPad and the screen was great.

I don't think I would pay anymore for a higher resolution on the screen.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

No, not even 42" TVs have that much pixels. Maybe the iPad will gain double amount of pixels, but that's about it.

5. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Ah yes, another iPad and the Retina Screen thread.

6. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

.....but should I wait for the next iPad?.:D

7. snowgoon macrumors newbie

I would buy an iPad that displayed retinas on the screen.

8. afireintonto macrumors 6502a

afireintonto

The ipad doesn't need a retina display. It looks just fine. I have an i4 and an ipad and there is nothing to complain about on the ipad. I tend to hold the iPhone closer to my eyes because its smaller, so the pixel density is really nice, but when I use the ipad its not as close to my face because its bigger.
    Retina display is welcome whenever, but I don't really think its nessacery.

9. grapemac macrumors regular

These iPad/Retina Display threads are crazy.

When iTunes starts selling 1080 films, then the resolution may go up. Until then, what's the reason? The current resolution is as it is because iTunes sell 720 films, because YouTube has 720 videos, because the iPhone shoots 720 videos.

For Apple at the moment, HD = 720, except when its convenient for them to remember 1080, such as in the high-end iMac, so they have a new feature to sell.

"Here's your 1080 display we'll market as "full HD". We don't have HD DVD, we don't have BluRay, but have the full HD screen anyway."

Sure, I'm sure the fonts and icons look smoother with the higher resolution, and I'm sure some consumers who edit 1080 videos will be happy, but marketing it with the words "full HD" is a bit of a gimmick when people immediately link "full HD" to watching 1080 films, which they can't do with the iMac's optical drive nor iTunes.

10. JulianL macrumors 65816

Don't get me wrong, I've been here a while and get frustrated by all these <I want a retina display on the next version> threads but mostly that's because I understand the technical and commercial issues as to why it won't happen. I disagree with people who say that there's no reason though. I have an iPhone 4 and the screen is noticably more readable for text than my iPad.

To give you a real world example, there's a nasty bug (or design oversight) in a fairly popular application called Evernote. In theory one can create a note using Evernote on a PC and then view it on an Evernote client on either an iPhone or an iPad (and many other devices). Although the notes do transfer between devices, there are some horrible shortcomings with the way that Evernote handles fonts which means that a note can be formatted to use nice readable font sizes on one's desktop PC but once it is on the iPhone or iPad the fonts are tiny. The key thing here is that on my iPad 9.7" screen I can no longer easily read my notes without zooming in. On my 3.5" iPhone 4 screen, even though it is smaller, I can read and work with the notes without feeling the need to zoom in.

On my iPad I read this forum in landscape mode and it is great but if I try to read it in portrait mode the I find the text just that bit too small for it to be practical. Based on my experience with the Evernote font issue I believe that a Retina screen on the iPad would have a very significant effect on usability because it would make it very comfortable to browse in either landscape or portratit mode whereas now I find that only landscape is really practical without having to constantly be zooming in and out.

Having said that, I don't think that we'll get a > 300 ppi display on the iPad for a few years yet. The increased capabilities required from the CPU and GPU to drive all those extra pixels while maintaining similar power consumption, together with needing to find a manufacturer who can make the screens at about the same price as Apple is paying for the current screen, is just beyond today's or next year's capabilities.

- Julian

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.