Will iPad Pro 2 arrive this year?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Math889, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Math889 macrumors 65816

Will Ipad Pro 2 arrive this year?

I dont like the Ipad Pro ..ok its a great device. But misses many features like 3d touch and a 12 mp camera like iphone 6s .

2. George Waseem macrumors regular

George Waseem

You don't need a powerful camera on a device like an iPad pro, no one takes pictures with such a huge device at least in public, people are going to think you are weird.

3. Nausicaa macrumors 6502a

It just came out last month... no one knows. They might release another or the Air/Pro will be alternating release cycles every two years. Who knows. I own a Pro and neither of those features are important to me. Also if rumors are to be believed 3D Touch on iPad isn't an easy problem and far from a sure thing.

4. pr0230 Suspended

5. flapflapflap macrumors member

3D Touch would make the iPP noticeably thicker and heavier. Also, imagine trying to "force touch" while the iPP is in viewing/typing mode. You will knock it over all day.

I have the iPhone 6S and RARELY use 3D Touch. The phone is noticeable heavier. No thanks.

6. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Yeah, 3d touch is pretty low on my list of possible upgrades for the iPP.

and no...don't believe the iPP 2 will come out until 2nd half of 2017.

7. PattyMc macrumors regular

PattyMc

Just guessing but I would say that spring of 2017 will be the earliest IPP 2. The current release isn't even dry behind the ears yet, accessories are not easily available, apps are just in early stages of updating for the Pro.

Sounds like you might be happier with next IPhone release.

8. poematik13 macrumors 6502a

The device has barely been out for 2 months and now you are expecting a new one? You people have devolved into zombies, never satisfied with anything

9. powerbook911, Jan 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2016

powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I think it might be longer than next fall. What exactly would they improve? 3D Touch is unlikely to be ready for such a large screen yet, you could bump processor but people would say that was boring update.

10. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

I guess upgrades are subjective.

Personally, i havent yet taken a single photo with mine. And 3d touch? God i hope not.

For me, i want specific ipp apps, more desktop class apps, and mouse support. As it stands, the ipp hardware kicks ass, now lets make the software/peripherals do the same.

11. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Why would you need a great camera on the pro? Don't tell me you would use the camera?

12. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Actually, I find the iPP's camera works great for indoor photography. I stick one end of the iPad on a stable surface, like a tabletop or even my lap, and it's like having a camera on a monopod. Got some great pics of my cats this way. But yeah, I can't imagine trying to take a picture with the iPP outdoors. Be too unwieldy to hold it up.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've seen people take their iPad Airs to Disneyworld, so I'd not put it past folks who will do the same with the IPP. I find it kind of crazy, but hey as long as they don't block my view when snapping pictures, more power to them.

14. SoYoung macrumors 6502

I think the specs of the actual iPad pro is a beast for a device like that and I dont think an update is necessary for this year. I think a 2 years upgrade is what the iPad pro realy need.

15. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

One person posts dissatisfaction with the current model and it suddenly becomes you people. :rolleyes:

As for the mythical iPP 2 arriving in 2016, it is highly improbable. The only reason I could see Apple doing that is if there is some significant performance/scale breakthru in the components used in the iPP that would significantly improve battery life, performance, manufacturing cost, etc.

What IS more likely may be accessories that connect to the mag connector. Microsoft showcased custom "blades" for the Surface in a presentation but never produced any themselves (nor did any 3rd parties). I think Apple has plans that go beyond a simple keyboard cover.

16. Ferc Kast macrumors regular

Ferc Kast

Once the software catches up to the iPP and Air 2, then we might see the iPP 2. For me, iOS 9 only scratched the surface of their potential while finally differentiating them from the iPhones in terms of the software.

17. Math889 thread starter macrumors 65816

18. Nausicaa macrumors 6502a

Yeah, the cameras on tablets are nice to have, like if I want to capture a texture for ProCreate, or "scan" a document, etc. The camera is good for stuff like that, doesn't need to be as good as the phone cams.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 9, 2016 ---
    Yeah, I really want to see what Apple does with the smart connector. When they first revealed the iPad Pro they made a point to hype it up a bit, but my first impression is that it would go underutilized as the only device that features it. And as you say, MS abandoned a similar concept almost at the moment they introduced it. I'm not convinced it has any real utility, but I hope someone out there has a good idea.

19. slenpree macrumors 6502a

slenpree

Maybe I recall incorrectly but I'm sure Apple said the smart connector provided two way power. So it could be used to charge the device in future ? Possible from a keyboard with a big battery inside (added benefit of balancing the weight more like a laptop).

20. Codeseven macrumors 6502a

Answer: Nope.

The iPP's powerful hardware specs and capabilities are almost redicoulous for an iPad as it is (or more accurately, what simple tasks an iPad has been traditionally used for in the past). An even more powerful iPP would make no sense until iOS and pro level apps can at least catch up to the current models specs.

21. bowlman2345 macrumors regular

I'd rather have a new Apple Pencil and Smart Keyboard upgrade before I'd upgrade my iPP. A pencil with a finer tip and better charging/attachment system. And a ASK with backlit keys and shortcuts would be on my short list. And I wouldn't even have to buy a new iPP. Win win.

22. darknyt macrumors 6502a

I had a similar mental question when deciding on buying one, but it was more about feeling good getting the Pro now at Gen 1 as opposed to waiting for a revision.

I'm glad I got one, life is too short to wait for each new possible revision. But I'd be lying if I said it wouldn't bother me if they came out with a new gen this fall that significantly eclipsed mine.

If only because it'd be hard to justify upgrading :)

23. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I imagine it will be late this year or early next year before we see the Pro 2.

24. nightcap965 macrumors 6502a

nightcap965

Will there be an iPad Pro 2 this year? Almost certainly not. And definitely not if you want 3D Touch. Why do you think it should support that feature?

25. slenpree, Jan 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2016

slenpree macrumors 6502a

slenpree

I wouldn't get an iPad pro until they do a 256GB version and also support LTE advanced like the iPhone 6s, hopefully this is all in the pro 2 or an air 3. For now, my jot touch stylus and my air 2 suit my primitive drawing needs.

I predict apple will add a 256GB version of the iPad pro to the line up around March. They did something similar with the iPad 4, launched in late 2012 and 128Gb version added early 2013.