Will iPhone 5s magically slow down with iOS 8?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cod3rror, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

I don't want to throw in any conspiracy theories, but every time a new iPhone comes out, the previous one becomes slower with the updated OS.

4S is slower with iOS 7, even thought it's a very capable hardware.

Anandtech claims the hardware in 5s is so powerful, there is nothing currently out that stresses it. So I wonder if it'll be as smooth as it is now with iOS 8.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Go check out the iOS8 forum and see what people are saying about its performance.

3. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

That's a different experience than I've had. iOS 6 was about the same as 4 and 5 but iOS 7 was noticeably faster on my iPhone 4 and 5. Better battery life too.

4. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

3 things.

iOS 8 is a beta, performance right now will not reflect the release version.

The iPhone 4S is two generations old. The iPhone 5s is current generation, and each will be a generation older when iOS 8 comes out.

Each .0 version of iOS is the slowest version of that series. The point updates generally regain much of the lost performance. However they are optimised for the newest generation hardware.

So inevitably there will be some performance reduction. This becomes most noticeable after the second major version update IMO.

5. sunking101 macrumors 604

sunking101

Splutter. The i4 slowed down noticeably with iOS6, but iOS7 killed it.
    The i5 flew along with iOS6 and was the fastest iPhone ever. Both the i5 and 5S blaze along with iOS7 but it isn't in Apple's best interests to allow older phones to run as well as the latest and greatest. I expect that they will bloat iOS8 out with some 64 bit-preferring software which doesn't run as well on the i5. Never mind, the i5 is lousy anyway and I can't wait to get rid of mine.:D

6. seble macrumors 6502a

This, tbh I remember my 4 occasionally struggling with iOS5 I just remember thinking even back then the phone wasn't powerful as it could have been. iOS6 made my 4 unbearable at times with app launching at times, and 7 don't even go there. Thankfully the 5S is a breath of fresh air, and I wouldn't want an iOS experience any slower than that.

7. batting1000 macrumors 604

iOS 8 on the 5S performs just as good as 7.1.1 does if not slightly better. Not even the slightest sign of a slowdown or lag. Keep in mind it's the first beta and performance could definitely be improved by the GM, but so far so good.

8. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

i got the beta.....it feels faster. but that could just be the perception of the animations.

9. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

The 5 was the first phone that had loads of performance overhead. The previous slowdowns were due to hardware limitations.

10. batting1000 macrumors 604

and now the 5S definitely has way more overhead than the 5 did then.

11. Camoxide, Jun 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2014

Camoxide macrumors regular

It's not magic. The requirements go up for each OS release, you can't just add new features for nothing unless the previous version was unoptimized.

I wouldn't say the 4S is very capable. It's mere 512MB of RAM is going to hold it back. The CPU and and GPU are pretty capable but the RAM isn't.
    The 4S handles iOS 7 far far better than the 4 because of it's substantially more powerful GPU but the RAM will definitely start to slow it down a lot soon.
    The 4 wasn't even that much of a bump up from the 3GS anyway so it's no surprise it's been struggling so quickly.

The 6 will likely have 2GB of RAM so you're probably going to see the 5 and 5S start to slow down with future iOS updates because of their lower RAM.

12. stuffradio macrumors 65816

Because added functionality adds to the CPU load and may take more memory also.

13. batting1000 macrumors 604

I think the 5S will take longer to slow down compared to a device like the 4, etc, just because of the 64-bit processor.

14. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

Newer more demanding software runs slower on older less capable hardware. This shouldn't be a surprise. There is no conspiracy here; Apple isn't doing it on purpose.

15. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

Back in the day we used to go through and identify slow code sections and hand code them in assembly for 10-100x speedup so new versions of the software were much faster. This "each new release is naturally slower" thinking is, quite frankly, bullshOt and reflects the pathetic decline of what we used to once call "American Exceptionalism."

The recent purchase of that photo software by Apple is a stark example. The guy improved iPhone camera ability 100x by... wait for it... hand coding in assembly.

WTF are they teaching programmers these days? Does anyone even know what I'm talking about? Sigh.

Maybe it's just that truly brilliant people don't do programming these days but instead go where the money is guaranteed: finance.

16. bigjim83 macrumors 6502

No. That will probably happen when ios 9 comes out

17. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

My experience is, and others may vary, the iPhone will run very well on both the OS it originally shipped with and the one that replaced that. The third one will slow it down, and the forth practically kills it. So to answer you question the 5s should run perfectly on iOS 8, it's iOS 9 where you'll see a difference.

18. iMacBooked macrumors 6502a

iMacBooked

An iPhone 5S will run iOS 8 perfectly fine. It's only the 5 (a bit) and certainly the 4S that are going to experience problems when running the latest iOS.

19. jenifarjolie macrumors newbie

I am new of this forum. I also suffer same problem.

20. FrozenInferno macrumors regular

If anything will hold back the 5S it would be the RAM. If you want conspiracy theories maybe consider that Apple intentionally limited the RAM in a super-powerful phone to limit its lifespan so you'll update within the three years or so. If the 5S had 2GB you'd be good for five years or more before it slowed down. Not sure I really believe that but who knows.

21. sunking101 macrumors 604

sunking101

I absolutely believe it to be true, the RAM on the 5 and 5S is an issue now - let alone in a couple of years time. Intentionally crippled and Apple will make sure that future releases of iOS are RAM-hungry, just to expose it.

22. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

The A7 with M7 coprocessor is an absolute beast of a CPU. It's not even being used at its full potential now with the 5S I can only imagine what A8 can do.

23. FrozenInferno macrumors regular

Yes, the A7-M7 combo is insanely powerful, but eventually you're going to need enough RAM available to put the massive amounts of data the processor can handle otherwise it will slow down. It's like pouring water from a five gallon bucket into a coffee mug, it can only work with so much.

24. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

As typical idevice, hardware should run 2 iOS from its original. Ie iOS 7 to 5s, 5s will support iOS 9. Not the optimized version because every year hardware and iOS gets better but it should support it.

25. FrozenInferno macrumors regular

What we're saying is the 5S should be capable of lasting longer than that if not for Apple intentionally handcuffing it. They are capable of making an iDevice that could last four or five iOS cycles without seeing a significant decrease in performance but choose not to. They want you buying a new phone every 2-3 years instead of 4-5 years.