Will iPhone be integrated in Lion?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Tech Genius, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Tech Genius macrumors newbie

I was browsing through the system preferences and I fell upon this (See attachment). I was wondering, will FaceTime on Lion be able to call without video? Or text too? Or will Apple try to bring together the iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad, and Mac together by being able to those device features over bluetooth? Example: I turn on bluetooth on my mac and iPhone. Then I add the iPhone to my mac. Then will there be an app that will let me use my calling / texting plan on my iPhone on my mac?

Attached Files:

2. baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

I don't think so, but since you can tether already, you can use some of the phone's functions (3G data) through your Mac. Maybe with the right App you could even send texts (this already exists for many phones). But voice calling might not make enough sense, as using a phone for calling is actually more practical than using a computer...

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

4. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

You can send SMS messages in iChat via AIM. That's what the Send SMS is for.

5. capoeira4u macrumors member

I would love to see this integration. It would just make more sense to buy a Mac and iPhone together. If you want to try it, there's a Mac Store app called Phone Amego ($30) that does this.

6. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

Precisely!

And that's why I'm choosing to remain with 10.6.5

While it may be free & easy to allow Apple to lure most everyone into their iCloud, I'd much rather keep my data, my data.

I've never been sucked in by "Free" or "Easy" for that matter.

Cheers :)

7. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

Has been there since Tiger I believe. Yes, you could send SMS directly from the address book on a bluetooth paired dumb phone. I used to do this all the time with my Nokias over half a decade ago.

No such feature on the iPhone. Nor do I believe that it is coming.

8. Tech Genius thread starter macrumors newbie

But in SL I don't they kept it in this long, I mean I took that screen shot in DP4 with the new update released. Plus the calling may work if you have the headphones with mic.

9. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Like the others have said it is nothing new. Apple has pretty much laid out it's plans for iPhone/Lion integration.