Will iPhone users please post their approximate data usage per month?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mrjynx, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Mrjynx macrumors member

Hi,

So up in Canada, I'm pretty much convinced Rogers will NOT give us an unlimited plan and it will most likely be a multi-tiered pricing (500mb for X amount, 1gb X amount, etc)

So to all of the users down south, what is your average data rate usage? I fear i'd pick on up and use it for general use (random surfing, maps, stocks, etc) and it will go way over whatever limit they impose for each tier. Thanks!

2. xerostyles macrumors newbie

I have had it since launch day, never jailbroken.

I use the phone daily for email, basic apps, and browsing websites. I do not use youtube/watch any streaming videos.

I have averaged about 250mb/month.

(On Edge 75% time)

3. ~Phi macrumors regular

I've maxed out at 430mb in one month. Most of my browsing is done via EDGE.

4. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

I don't think I've ever come close to 500 MB per month.

5. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

Man, I guess I'm seriously lame; I'm averaging about 8-10 megs a month :eek:

6. YoungKevin macrumors member

I average about 230 mb a month with daily use

7. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Also, keep in mind that Canada's getting the 3G iPhone.

You'll be using a lot more data just cause it's faster (if they raised the speed limit fifty miles per hour, I'm sure there will be a good amount of people going faster, thus using more gas).

Like we've all said, though, we don't use close to 500. YouTube is the place where it really sucks your data up, since each YouTube movie over Wi-Fi is 20+ MB. And since the 3G iPhone is faster, I'm wondering whether YouTube will just direct 3G users to the Wi-Fi version.

1 GB should suffice, really.

8. YoungKevin macrumors member

9. mazellan macrumors newbie

I average about 100mb/month. I'm in Wi-Fi 80% of the time. I only use it when I travel. Which can be a lot some months.

10. JRunMedia macrumors newbie

Hey,

I was wondering the exact same thing since I also live in Canada and am getting an iPhone. It's good to know tho that so far not many here have had that high of data usage, since I know rogers is going to pull something retarded.

Thanks

11. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

12. yode macrumors 6502

13. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

my cousin in usa used

3.42 gb last month in the USA with Iphone on Edge

watches tones of youtube and internet 24/7 and tons of emails

shes a blogger

iJustine

14. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

I am using less then 300mb a month. It seems like I am on the net all day, but I was surprised by the low data usage when I just pulled up the last few months bills from AT&T. So unless they are wrong you should be fine.

EDIT: When they have 3G I will start using more data as I will stream TV shows from home computer when on the go. If Slingbox goes live for iPhone, AT&T is in trouble with data usage.

15. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

16. iphonematt Guest

I have had my iPhone since day one, and i have uploaded 65mb and downloaded 483mb. I basically use my iPhone for calls and text messaging. I don't use the data too much.

17. iPegboy macrumors regular

By maxxed out, i think the poster above was meaning that was his/her highest amount in one month -- not that AT&T cut him/her off.

I've been between 100-150 mb in each my four months on EDGE. I use a lot of wifi though, as it's around me a lot.

You know though -- i was just thinking of something. Since AT&T has said they are going to treat the 3G iPhone as any other PDA in terms of the data plans, does that mean one could conceivably by one of the smaller data packages (and not just the unlimited one?). I know nothing has been set in stone, but just a thought.

18. alFR macrumors 68020

Justine Ezarik is your cousin? :eek:

19. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

Yeah, seriously....Justine Ezarik is family?? Introduce me...shes amazing!

20. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

Will iPhone users please post their approximate data usage per month?

So Rogers screwed us Canucks, as expected, out of the real "full" iPhone experience by capping our data and over-charging us.

Unfortunately I'll still end up replacing my current iPhone with the new one. I'm curious to know what most people use in a month. I have the 10mb plan (costs me 10 bucks!) that I use just to get e-mail so I have no idea what I would use if I actually browsed the web, etc.

21. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

about 150mb/month and i use it a fair bit

just make sure you dont YouTube/stream anything

22. sneeks macrumors 6502a

I use my iPhone every day to browse the web while travelling to work in the train. I can't remember when I last reset it but it was at least 4 months ago. The Usage screen now indicates my EDGE Network Data as

Sent 78.4mb
    Received 315mb

23. newyorksole macrumors 68030

My phone is currently charging and usage says:

Sent: 501 MB
    Received: 2.5 GB

Last Reset: Never

24. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I use approximately 200mb per month (usually a couple of megs more but its right around 200). I browse quite a bit every day and send/recieve quite a few emails daily. Hope this helps.