Will iPhone4 Get Live Wallpapers?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by opeepingtomo, Jul 25, 2010.

1. opeepingtomo macrumors regular

The screen looks really good on the iPhone4, and i think live wallpapers would really show it off. They looks really good on the newer android phones. Any word of them coming?

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Because they're so useful, right?

3. Airmark1 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

They're "cute". But drain batteries.

4. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

That would certainly add to the Wow factor and I think SJ would have shown that off if it was coming. Due to the battery drain, I doubt apple would add it though.

5. calb macrumors 6502

Unless Apple can reinvent them, adding live wallpapers would only feed the anti-Apple crowd (i.e. Apple 'copied and pasted' straight from Android). They serve no functional purpose and I'd much prefer development time be spent on useful features.

6. miamihacker macrumors regular

7. opeepingtomo thread starter macrumors regular

Because everything on the iPhone is useful. It would be nice to look at and see when using your phone. Not everything on the phone is "useful" or has to be.

In that case they should disable the ability to set wallpapers at all, even static. What purpose do they serve?

Would they really take that much development time? It's just a moving touch sensitive wallpaper. They could even let them be user created and then put on the marketplace somehow through use of an app.

8. calb macrumors 6502

They add to the (currently small) list of user customisable options. Personalisation is useful (ergo wallpapers), but not at the cost of battery life (c.f. live wallpapers).

9. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

No, you don't get it, if they put them in, a lot of people will turn around and say that Apple just copied Android, which I'm sure they don't want. Therefore, they'd need to make them different in some way. Btw, Apple has an "App Store", Android has a "Marketplace" lol.

10. thetexan macrumors 6502a

Actually live wallpapers can be useful. When I'm out of town or in an unfamiliar area I turn on the Google maps live wallpaper. It's a live wallpaper map of my current location.

I don't believe they're a battery drainer, as I've used the Mario one for a few days and I didn't notice any less battery life. They do drain resources as I never notice lag on my phone but if I'm running that live wallpaper I'll notice some lag.

11. ddoolin macrumors regular

ddoolin

1. They both have regular wallpapers, they both can have live wallpapers. Live wallpapers isn't something Google invented. It's been around for awhile.

2. Who cares if it drains your battery. Then shut it off and st`fu.

Geez.

12. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

I honestly never understood the fascination with "live" wallpapers or "widgets" on a phone. On a desktop, they make sense. No battery issues, you are staring at it regularly (work/play) and so on.

On a phone, who sits there and stares at their home screen for time on end just to watch the widgets and live wallpaper? Honestly? The phone is either in your pocket, in call, in use with games/apps or the like. So the 1 hour a day total that your home screen is visible - you actually watch it?

No thanks.

13. ddoolin macrumors regular

ddoolin

Nobody asked you to use it.

14. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I'm with you, it looks cool for a few minutes, but then my phone goes back in my pocket.

15. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

Live wallpapers look cheesy. I hope we never get them.

16. slippyr4 macrumors member

You're that same guy, that if apple put them on iPhone would be like, OMFG! Live Wallpapers!

There is plenty of totally unnecessary eye candy in iOS. People love it - it's a big part of what gives the overall product that elusive "polish".

17. opeepingtomo thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you.

One thing i never understand either is people who say they don't want a feature because they won't use it. If anything you should wish the products you own become more feature rich and you can choose the ones you want to use.

18. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I'm sure we will see them in some update in the next 1-2 years. It'll be pushed as a huge feature too. All people currently saying that they suck will be saying "well, I do think they suck, but Apple's implementing it in a completely different and innovative way". In fact, I usually look at what today's cellphones offer to find out what's coming to the iPhone next. That said, Apple usually does implement these features in a much more efficiently way.

19. whocaresit macrumors 6502a

20. calb macrumors 6502

Which wouldn't bother me. I just doubt that live wallpapers will make their way to iOS any time soon without a significantly unique stamp from Apple, or users will inevitably see the lift from Android. When Apple finds an implementation which is unique and efficient on resources (so as to be a viable option for regular use), I'll be happy.

21. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    At least you just pointed out why live wallpapers are not a battery killer. They're hardly being viewed during a normal day.

They're just another nice touch, same as all the sliding panels and other useless but pretty SFX these days on all phones.

(Not all papers are only pretty. Some live wallpapers show constant status of the device or some other situation. For instance, there's one where swarms of different colored dots, that you can scatter like the fish in Koi Pond, indicate wifi and battery strength.

Heh. Koi Pond... speaking of useless, but fun apps. See, not everything has to have a rigid purpose :) )

22. intervenient macrumors 6502a

Exactly.

23. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Both live wallpapers and clippy will be part of 4.1. All those great android features are coming soon to our iPhones.

24. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

Mmmm constantly evolving Mandelbrots please, would look kewl.

25. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Sliding panels are NOT useless and are absolutely necessary. It gives the user a sense of orientation and helps him/her build a mental hierarchy within an app. Every single animation in iOS enforces and communicates a metaphor. The animation for the app switching is intentionally done this way for example to communicate bringing a recent app from the background to the front. It could have been any other animation like a fade or move in from the side. But Apple settled for an animation that conveys a meaning to the user.

If you think Apple puts animations because they are "pretty" then you still don't know how this company works.