Will iPhone4 Get Live Wallpapers?

opeepingtomo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
The screen looks really good on the iPhone4, and i think live wallpapers would really show it off. They looks really good on the newer android phones. Any word of them coming?

Airmark1

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

They're "cute". But drain batteries.

scirica

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX
That would certainly add to the Wow factor and I think SJ would have shown that off if it was coming. Due to the battery drain, I doubt apple would add it though.

calb

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
UK
Unless Apple can reinvent them, adding live wallpapers would only feed the anti-Apple crowd (i.e. Apple 'copied and pasted' straight from Android). They serve no functional purpose and I'd much prefer development time be spent on useful features.

opeepingtomo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
Because they're so useful, right?
Because everything on the iPhone is useful. It would be nice to look at and see when using your phone. Not everything on the phone is "useful" or has to be.

In that case they should disable the ability to set wallpapers at all, even static. What purpose do they serve?

Unless Apple can reinvent them, adding live wallpapers would only feed the anti-Apple crowd (i.e. Apple 'copied and pasted' straight from Android). They serve no functional purpose and I'd much prefer development time be spent on useful features.

Would they really take that much development time? It's just a moving touch sensitive wallpaper. They could even let them be user created and then put on the marketplace somehow through use of an app.

calb

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
UK
Because everything on the iPhone is useful. It would be nice to look at and see when using your phone. Not everything on the phone is "useful" or has to be.

In that case they should disable the ability to set wallpapers at all, even static. What purpose do they serve?
They add to the (currently small) list of user customisable options. Personalisation is useful (ergo wallpapers), but not at the cost of battery life (c.f. live wallpapers).

01jamcon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2006
London
Would they really take that much development time? It's just a moving touch sensitive wallpaper. They could even let them be user created and then put on the marketplace somehow through use of an app.
No, you don't get it, if they put them in, a lot of people will turn around and say that Apple just copied Android, which I'm sure they don't want. Therefore, they'd need to make them different in some way. Btw, Apple has an "App Store", Android has a "Marketplace" lol.

thetexan

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2009
Actually live wallpapers can be useful. When I'm out of town or in an unfamiliar area I turn on the Google maps live wallpaper. It's a live wallpaper map of my current location.

I don't believe they're a battery drainer, as I've used the Mario one for a few days and I didn't notice any less battery life. They do drain resources as I never notice lag on my phone but if I'm running that live wallpaper I'll notice some lag.

ddoolin

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2010
Charlotte, NC
1. They both have regular wallpapers, they both can have live wallpapers. Live wallpapers isn't something Google invented. It's been around for awhile.

2. Who cares if it drains your battery. Then shut it off and st`fu.

Geez.

AbSoluTc

macrumors 601
Sep 21, 2008
I honestly never understood the fascination with "live" wallpapers or "widgets" on a phone. On a desktop, they make sense. No battery issues, you are staring at it regularly (work/play) and so on.

On a phone, who sits there and stares at their home screen for time on end just to watch the widgets and live wallpaper? Honestly? The phone is either in your pocket, in call, in use with games/apps or the like. So the 1 hour a day total that your home screen is visible - you actually watch it?

No thanks.

ddoolin

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I honestly never understood the fascination with "live" wallpapers or "widgets" on a phone. On a desktop, they make sense. No battery issues, you are staring at it regularly (work/play) and so on.

On a phone, who sits there and stares at their home screen for time on end just to watch the widgets and live wallpaper? Honestly? The phone is either in your pocket, in call, in use with games/apps or the like. So the 1 hour a day total that your home screen is visible - you actually watch it?

No thanks.
Nobody asked you to use it.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008

No thanks.
I'm with you, it looks cool for a few minutes, but then my phone goes back in my pocket.

slippyr4

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2008
Live wallpapers look cheesy. I hope we never get them.
You're that same guy, that if apple put them on iPhone would be like, OMFG! Live Wallpapers!

There is plenty of totally unnecessary eye candy in iOS. People love it - it's a big part of what gives the overall product that elusive "polish".

opeepingtomo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
You're that same guy, that if apple put them on iPhone would be like, OMFG! Live Wallpapers!

There is plenty of totally unnecessary eye candy in iOS. People love it - it's a big part of what gives the overall product that elusive "polish".
Thank you.

One thing i never understand either is people who say they don't want a feature because they won't use it. If anything you should wish the products you own become more feature rich and you can choose the ones you want to use.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
I'm sure we will see them in some update in the next 1-2 years. It'll be pushed as a huge feature too. All people currently saying that they suck will be saying "well, I do think they suck, but Apple's implementing it in a completely different and innovative way". In fact, I usually look at what today's cellphones offer to find out what's coming to the iPhone next. That said, Apple usually does implement these features in a much more efficiently way.

calb

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
UK
I'm sure we will see them in some update in the next 1-2 years. It'll be pushed as a huge feature too. All people currently saying that they suck will be saying "well, I do think they suck, but Apple's implementing it in a completely different and innovative way". In fact, I usually look at what today's cellphones offer to find out what's coming to the iPhone next. That said, Apple usually does implement these features in a much more efficiently way.
Which wouldn't bother me. I just doubt that live wallpapers will make their way to iOS any time soon without a significantly unique stamp from Apple, or users will inevitably see the lift from Android. When Apple finds an implementation which is unique and efficient on resources (so as to be a viable option for regular use), I'll be happy.

kdarling

macrumors P6
The phone is either in your pocket, in call, in use with games/apps or the like. So the 1 hour a day total that your home screen is visible - you actually watch it?
At least you just pointed out why live wallpapers are not a battery killer. They're hardly being viewed during a normal day.

They're just another nice touch, same as all the sliding panels and other useless but pretty SFX these days on all phones.

(Not all papers are only pretty. Some live wallpapers show constant status of the device or some other situation. For instance, there's one where swarms of different colored dots, that you can scatter like the fish in Koi Pond, indicate wifi and battery strength.

Heh. Koi Pond... speaking of useless, but fun apps. See, not everything has to have a rigid purpose :) )

intervenient

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010

Exactly.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
The screen looks really good on the iPhone4, and i think live wallpapers would really show it off. They looks really good on the newer android phones. Any word of them coming?
Both live wallpapers and clippy will be part of 4.1. All those great android features are coming soon to our iPhones.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
At least you just pointed out why live wallpapers are not a battery killer. They're hardly being viewed during a normal day.

They're just another nice touch, same as all the sliding panels and other useless but pretty SFX these days on all phones.
Sliding panels are NOT useless and are absolutely necessary. It gives the user a sense of orientation and helps him/her build a mental hierarchy within an app. Every single animation in iOS enforces and communicates a metaphor. The animation for the app switching is intentionally done this way for example to communicate bringing a recent app from the background to the front. It could have been any other animation like a fade or move in from the side. But Apple settled for an animation that conveys a meaning to the user.

If you think Apple puts animations because they are "pretty" then you still don't know how this company works.