Will it be okay in 4 years?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by RedJeans, Apr 30, 2010.

1. RedJeans macrumors member

I'm thinking about purchasing the new 13" Macbook Pros. I was talking to a friend and he said that it won't last 4 years because of its poor specs. Is this true?

Should I spend the extra money and go for the 15" Macbook Pro, maybe? Will it last longer because of the new processor?

2. Rhalliwell1 macrumors 6502a

Poor specs? NO macs have poor specs. My old iBook G4 lasted me 5 years so based of that a brand new MacBook Pro should :)

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What does CPU speed have to do with lasting long?

Both Macs will last that long, one is just slower.

With everyone of these threads, it comes down to your needs. So tell us what they are and if they will be the same in four years.

I used my iBook for four years, and spec wise it was slower than many Windows laptops out there (I went from 1.4GHz to 1GHz).

4. RedJeans thread starter macrumors member

I'm contemplating between a Mac and PC right now.

I'll be going to university in the Fall and I'd like my purchase to last me all 4 years.

I will be:

-using Photoshop (not a lot)
    -watching movies
    -listening to music
    -downloading
    -MSN
    -internet
    -MS Office
    -maybe small games?

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Then the MacBook Pro with 13" display and C2D CPU will suffice, but you may like the bigger screen of the 15".

But spec wise, the C2D is more than capable of doing what you want to do, now and in four years.

Now you have to decide, if you want Mac OS X or Windows primarily.

6. RedJeans thread starter macrumors member

I'm not sure - I haven't used Mac OS X. I've heard great things about it, though.

7. beige matchbox macrumors 6502a

beige matchbox

I do all that on a 2005 vintage 15 inch powerbook, so I wouldn't worry too much :)

8. Hackint0sh macrumors member

Hackint0sh

By PC standards it MIGHT be bad specs, but PC users are used to going from one bloated version of Windows to the next even more bloated version. Apple has done a phenomenal job keeping OSX trimmed down and unbloated, so yeah. It'll last 4 years easy.

9. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Then have a look here:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Ash9414 macrumors 6502

Would you suggest the 2.4Ghz or the 2.66Ghz for his needs?

11. King Apple macrumors regular

King Apple

13" 2.4ghz, the 2.66ghz is not worth the extra money.

12. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I agree with you. For the OP's needs, I would seriously consider the 15" MBP.

I think either would last four years as long as you take really good care of it. The tech in either is fine. A C2D 13" with 320m is plenty of computer except for future gaming. The Core i5 15" is even more computer but does have disappointing graphics in my opinion (yes better than 13" with 320m but 330 GT is disappointing compared to PCs).

If I were you OP, and money were not an issue, and you really want an amazing laptop that will last you four years, consider a Sony Vaio Z. It is the weight of the MBA. It is more powerful than an MBP. Windows 7 is truly great now, and that Z has more upgrade options for a more future proof PC for four years of college.

There are a lot of nice computers that are much better specd than the 13" MBP or 15" MBP at a lot lower price. However, you aren't going to get as great of build materials or design. Most importantly, only a Mac can run OS X AND Windows 7. I would find it a great advantage to have access to both OSes. It really comes down to ALL of the variables... mostly what you want, what you need, and how much money you have to acquire the best for the four years you'll need it. Any current MBP, even a 13" MB, would be really nice for your needs.

In terms of durability, I find the 13" MB to be the most durable Mac. The aluminum sure is pretty but it damages far too easily. If you're certain you're not going to damage it, then go for the MBPs, but understand the difference. Also understand that a 13" MB is $849 refurbished or $899 education pricing.

You can also consider the 13" refurbished MBPs. Last week they had them for $929 which is a $270 price break over new... but again education pricing is $100 less new for the MBP. Just be sure you get the best value for you. Also consider if your parents have a credit card with extra protection or that doubles the warranty.

Good luck.

13. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

2.4GHz, even 2GHz will be more than fine.

An SSD upgrade in two to three years and some more RAm will also make for a speedy improvement down the road.

14. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

I'd suggest the Vaio E Series VPCEB1LFX/BI

For $850 you get much, much more than the $350 more expensive 13" MacBook Pro, and honestly, you're getting the same processor and a better graphics card than the 15" MacBook Pro.

True, it's 0.3 pounds heavier than the 15" MacBook Pro, and yes, the battery life will be shorter but think about it; you could probably buy 8 spare batteries for the price difference.

If you don't need OS X, why pay the tax?

15. racer1441 macrumors 68000

4 years is unrealistic. Not because the machine won't last, it will, much better than a pc, but technology is moving forward.

One to two years at most. I'm switching a computer out every six months anymore.

16. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Everyone has different modi operandorum when it comes to computers and their use of it. Many people don't need the newest and fastest computers for their tasks, especially ones as NOT CPU taxing as the ones the OP posted.

I used an iBook for editing with Avid DV Free and heavy Photoshop work until 2007/8, when Intel machines were easier to get.

17. thecheda macrumors 6502

Macs

All of my Macs have lasted a minimum of 3 years. I just upgraded to an i5 because Apple was nice enough to replace my computer. Get Applecare and you'll never be disappointed.

18. RedJeans thread starter macrumors member

Why are they replacing your computer?

19. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

4 years? MSN will be gone sooner than that.

Just buy a $500 PC, then in 2 years buy another $500 PC.

And if it gets stolen or trashed, you are only out $500.

If you have been using Windows your whole life theres no need to switch now -- especially since you arent doing anything special

when you get out of college, then buy what you want...

20. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

It's more about how long you really want to have a computer than it is about how long it will last. For what you are looking to do, a white MacBook would even last you 4+ years.

21. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

If you use mostly the same apps today as you will in 4 years, then who cares if there are faster computers in existence? Your computer will be just as fast in 4 years, and will still be able to handle those very same apps. Even updated apps will probably be fine, as will photo editing. The only trouble that may arise is if you buy a really crazy camera with a really high Megapixel count (i.e., higher than almost anything today in a consumer camera). However, notice that pixel count hasn't really increased over the past 2-3 years. ;)

I guess you could take up video editing, but that's far less likely than you getting a camera capable of taking larger photos. Otherwise, you'll be fine. ;)

22. migsev macrumors regular

Based on how things are going, I'd say it'll last the 4 years. It might be "slow" after around 3 years, but you'll be okay with it for basic college stuff. I have friends with MacBooks from 2007 that still work fine now, after a few upgrades. Doesn't look like they'll be unable to perform basic college work come 2011 either.

23. palane macrumors member

It'll be fine

I assume your friend meant that you'd be wanting a new computer within 4 years. I've tended to pick up refurb Macs just after there has been a product refresh as it's a chance to get a good deal. I've yet to get less than three years good service out of one. Given that I'm buying somewhat older models, the new 13" MBP will last. I'd say the major issue is screen size vs. portability. I wonder if it was heat issues that kept the i5 out of the 13"MBP.

BB

24. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Then what good are these people?

25. PsyD4Me macrumors 6502a

PsyD4Me

It will last but your needs might outgrow it, you might need more screen real estate or more power...I find that notebooks are good for 2 years, then I need newer more powerful toys, my Mac pro on the other hand is 2.5 years and it'll continue meeting my needs for 2.5 years more...