Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
Here's a real-life experience.

Three and a half years ago I bought a white MacBook - when the C2D's just came out. It's still running absolutely fine today. Battery still gets 4-5 hours off a single charge. No issues with the screen. Not a single crack on the case. No slowdowns. Works like a champ.

I will confess that along the way I did install a larger hard drive ($79) and upgraded to Snow Leopard (it came with Tiger). Still, I'll use it as a basis to say that yes, an MBP will last you 4 years, easily, if you take care of it.

lu0s3r322

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2005
my mbp will be 4 years old by november this year and it is still really fast and capable of doing everything if not more than i need it to. i have upgraded the hard drive and RAM but that was out of choice, not necessity

Penn Jennings

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
Michigan
I'm thinking about purchasing the new 13" Macbook Pros. I was talking to a friend and he said that it won't last 4 years because of its poor specs. Is this true?

Should I spend the extra money and go for the 15" Macbook Pro, maybe? Will it last longer because of the new processor?

I would go with the 13, based on your stated purpose. As far as a 4 years life span. I would expect the hardware to last but that doesn't mean that you will still want it. You might decided that the 2012 MBP is a must have. Your use might change and require different hardware. Whenever possible, it's almost always best to spend less on hardware, and refresh more frequently. You will have to spend about 40% more to go to a 15.

You can always add a 22" monitor and keyboard for $250 and get a much better experience than the MBP 15, which would cost you more.

iMav

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2008
Columbus, WI
If you definitely want to keep it four years, then get AppleCare at the time of purchase and use a major credit card. Most major credit cards will double the manufacturer's warranty...up to a max of four years. AppleCare is considered manufacturer's warranty if acquired at the same time as the initial purchase.

I never keep mine longer then two years, so I never buy AppleCare.

15.6" with 1366x768 resolution? That's the same resolution my sub-10" netbook has. I don't know about you, but that would be totally unacceptable to me.

KingYaba

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2005
Up the irons
It won't be ok in four years. In four years you're going to have light peak and USB 3 devices all over the place while your $1,000+ machine will have crippled I/O in comparison. You won't even have the luxury to watch BluRay on your computer. :( $5 says in four years iPods and iPhones won't be using USB 2.0. 2.0 compatible maybe ...

jasonburnett3

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2010
four to five years for me, apple route not sony thanks

I need pointing in the right direction please having just purchased my second ever computer..macbook pro 13 inch 2.4ghz with 250mb.

i had a Sony Vaio 10.6 inch TGR1mp which cost £1800 back in april 2004 and now has had its day after i threw the optical mouse at the screen after several problems with xp and other stuff and it is now unusable, several other problems with it also including broken web cam and track pad and it does not charge cos ac adaptor is very loose.

I have bought the new core duo basic macbook pro 2 weeks ago but still have £400 burning a hole in my pocket. I have about 40gb of photos and music in total and mostly use it for social networking, fotos, web pages, travelblogging. My previous sony machine had a pentium 1ghz m processor and 40gb hard drive with 512 of RAM..Please let me know ur thoughts on whether its worth doing any of these or holding onto the money and get the new iphone 4g or iphone HD in 2 months.

1) upgrade to 128 SSD - £279

2) upgrade to 2.66 GHZ processor - £249

3) change for basic 15 inch new mb pro with new intel I5 processor and better graphics - cost £499 etra

4) stick with the 2.4ghz and spend the £400 on a set of B&W MM1's speakers instead

I want to future proof my purchase a little and need to know whether it will be sufficient, i dont like buying new things every couple years. plus i do not want fony machines , they had £2000 of my money back in 2004-2005 on MP3 and vaio so i moving apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.