Will It Work with the Computer Off?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Mac In School, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I'm getting ready to go on vacation for a week. I'd like to shut my (syncing) computer down, so it can rest a bit.

Assuming everything is all synced up when I shut down, will my AppleTV function normally while the computer is off?

Thanks.

2. pjac macrumors regular

I'm guessing you'll be leaving the Apple TV on for others in the house to use? 'cause otherwise your question doesn't make sense... :confused:

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

Yes. :)

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

It'll work fine for content synced to it, as it resides on the :apple:tv harddrive. They won't have any streamed content, w/o your computer, though.

5. Mac In School thread starter macrumors 65816

6. amc382 macrumors regular

sure... that's why it has a HD built in... to store media.

7. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

They could still watch YouTube though provided it's connected to a live router. ;)

8. Mac In School thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah, I knew it stored it. I just wondered if there was some kind of security check in place that made you stay in touch with the mother computer to use it.

Sort of like DirecTV, where you have to be connected via a phone line in order to by PPV programming through the TV.

I could see people taking their AppleTV to a friend's house, letting them fill it up with their (DRM-loaded) content, then taking it home, only to return when they want new stuff. I'm (pleasantly) surprised that this security check isn't there.

9. pjac macrumors regular

That sounds like something Apple would block... can an Apple TV only be "linked" to one iTunes library at a time? That would make borrowing your mates' content harder.

10. aristobrat macrumors G4

Only one iTunes Library at a time can sync stuff to the AppleTV's hard drive. In addition to that computer, up to 5 other computers can stream to it.

11. imlucid macrumors 6502

Nope. You can sync the device full of content and then take it (or the computer) anywhere you want. Only when the two find each other on the network again and a sync is performed will any content be changed on the Apple TV.

This makes the Apple TV a cool way to take a bunch of media on vacation...

:D

Kevin

12. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Yep, just like an iPod with the video cables...