Will iTunes Match Fix incorrect MP3s?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by beatledud, Oct 15, 2011.

1. beatledud macrumors 6502

A couple years back my iTunes library went a little corrupt. I've got a few songs on various artist albums where The next song/artist title is the same as the one before it. Also some other artist's songs are incorrectly tagged as on a different album.

I've fixed a few here and there but it's so random that I've never been able to fix the issue entirely (nor can I catch most of them).

I ask this because I'm thinking iTunes Match may fix this problem. I mean how else will iTunes decide which songs you have if it doesn't scan each one? Otherwise you could just get a song that's the same length as a different song and fill out the metadata for it and iTunes will think you own music that you don't, no? I don't think it will do it that way, so what happens when it finds a song that is incorrectly tagged? Will it fix it for you? That could be a big plus.

2. jhsfosho macrumors 6502

I was just wondering this exact same thing... Will iTunes match fix my incorrect and misspelled song titles?

3. Nioxic macrumors regular

will itunes match give me a song if i just make a random file with the mp3 info of the song i'd like to have? :p

4. beatledud thread starter macrumors 6502

So it appears clear now, but I wanted to just check in again.

It looks like iTunes Match uses a fingerprint music scan system (GraceNote?) to identify your song, but then leave the meta Data alone. So even if the song is labeled as Song A but it is in fact Song B, it will match Song B but then show it as Song A on your local library and in the cloud?

Can anyone confirm?

5. Heebeejeebies macrumors regular

Heebeejeebies

You're right. iTunes Match will not touch your metadata, but will use Gracenote to compare. I'm sure the metadata helps to confirm a match so if you have legal copies of things, they should be matched. Otherwise iTunes Match will upload the files.

6. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Just saying that Gracenote wouldn't work at all. Gracenote can only identify CDs: If you have a CD with one song of 3'45", followed by a song of 2'29", followed by a song of 4'51", and so one, then you can be pretty sure that there is no other CD with exactly the same song lengths, and that is what Gracenote uses. (I had _one_ case of a real mismatch, and that was a CD with just two songs, each over 20 minutes). iTunes Match matches individual songs.