Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Will Smith, his wife Jada Smith, and his son Jaden Smith today visited Apple Park to discuss the environment and Jaden's Just Water company, according to a tweet Apple CEO Tim Cook shared on Twitter this evening.

Just Water is a water company that sells ethically sourced spring water in paper-based bottles with sugarcane caps, all of which is more environmentally friendly than a standard plastic bottle. In addition to plain spring water, Just Water also offers infused flavors like lemon, tangerine, and apple cinnamon.

willjadensmithapplepark-800x450.jpg
Everyone deserves access to quality water. Thanks for the leading the charge, @officialjaden, and for sharing your passion for the environment with us today at Apple Park. Your enthusiasm is contagious! 🌎 pic.twitter.com/2juv8zxMWT - Tim Cook (@tim_cook) April 19, 2019

The Smiths were at Apple Park ahead of Earth Day, which takes place on Monday, April 22. Apple today also released its annual environmental report and launched its Material Recovery Lab in Austin, Texas.

In celebration of Earth Day, Apple plans to host environment-themed Today at Apple sessions at its Apple retail stores. The company will also feature original stories and app collections in the App Store and will host an Earth Day Apple Watch challenge.

Article Link: Will, Jaden and Jada Smith Visit Apple Park for Environmental Discussion

Reactions: pike908

Gubbz

macrumors member
May 2, 2010
Perth, Australia
The ironic thing is that Apple pretends to be environmental, at least it touts how its products are, yet it doesn't seem so long ago that there was an article saying how Apple were the biggest customer of a particular airline, and by a long shot. Commercial airlines use Jet Fuel' and jet fuel is still leaded... Leaded fuel was phased out decades ago for its toxicity... Apple will have flown in a number of people for this event.. Ironic lol

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
They burn down sugar cane fields before harvest. Lots of pollution. And traditional paper production involves a lot of chemicals to break down wood pulp. I’m all for not using plastic but I’d have to hear more production details before I hand out awards. Too many non-scientist “Environmentalists” do what they *think* helps, not what actually helps. They simply don’t know enough about it and make choices based on mythology, not science. Also, organic farming is usually worse for the environment than traditional farming and their claim that alkaline water has health benefits is pure quackery. As soon as it hits the acid in your stomach, it’s gone. The body strictly maintains blood pH through buffering. If anything we consumed could actually change blood pH, we would die. So much wrong here

Last edited:

FightTheFuture

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor
The ironic thing is that Apple pretends to be environmental, at least it touts how its products are, yet it doesn't seem so long ago that there was an article saying how Apple were the biggest customer of a particular airline, and by a long shot. Commercial airlines use Jet Fuel' and jet fuel is still leaded... Leaded fuel was phased out decades ago for its toxicity... Apple will have flown in a number of people for this event.. Ironic lol
You’re reaching.

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA

C’mon. Apple flies commercial on Delta, not private. They still have to do business all around the world and can’t take a month to take a ship from California to China (which probably burns more fuel per person too).

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
If you are really concerned. Use a water filter and reusable containers. Better yet for the environment tap water. So there is no filter waste. If you are hard core and willing to risk the occasional parasite or disease. Get your water directly from streams, rivers, puddles, rain, &c.

Their environmentally friendly home.:rolleyes:
Will-Smith-Calabases-home-2-640x405.jpg

needsomecoffee

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2008
Seattle
Nothing says environmental consciousness more than packaging water into small containers, loading it on trucks, shipping it around the country to stores people drive to for purchase. Very green solution vs. the water that flows from taps at home/office which for 90+% of Americans is essentially the same (or better quality) as the Smith's "Just Water". Unflavored of course. Actually, that does sort of fit Apple's definition of being green in a way...

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
i drink out of the faucet.

something rubs me the wrong way about apple promoting some business of a kid with super wealthy parents.

And Scientologists. Next stop, a GOOP channel. With Oprah, a Dr Oz quackery channel. This stockholder doesn’t approve of what I’m seeing so far. I want a science-based Apple, not pseudoscience woo Apple

Mcmeowmers

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2015
i drink out of the faucet.

something rubs me the wrong way about apple promoting some this water business from a kid with super wealthy parents.

Piggybacking on your comment:

How is shipping water water ethical or sustainable for the environment? You're literally using energy to move something that is easily and freely available in every single building where this product is sold (I realize there is energy and cost associated with plumbing and water treatment). This is nothing but a scam backed by pseudo science. It's sad that Tim Cook is even entertaining this goof.

I'm being lazy but I suspect the crop waste they're using to make the bottles would have been better off burned/fermented at the site it was harvested from. Instead, lets spend more energy shipping it across the globe. I knew Jaden was stupid before but good god Tim Cook get this guy out of here!

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
Not everything is black and white.

jaytv111

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007

Jets do not use leaded fuel. It’s small piston prop planes that use leaded fuel (known as avgas). Not even turbine prop planes would use leaded fuel since turbines don’t work better with leaded gas (instead using kerosene typically).

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
You know what's even more environmentally friendly and costs less? Get a coconut shell carbon water filter that lasts for months and fill up a stainless steel double walled vacuum sealed bottle. Stays cold all day and tastes great. I've been doing this since 2013. The filters for my fridge are about $15 on Amazon and last about 4-6 months. The bottle is a $30 Thermos with flip top lid. My wife and kids all have one and we bring them everywhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.