Will Leopard install only certain things on a PPC?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by winterdude010, Jun 10, 2007.

1. winterdude010 macrumors regular

winterdude010

Do you think that when upgrading to Leopard, it won't install Boot Camp on a PPC for example? Because that would be a waste of space..

2. 66217 Guest

Mmm.....good question.

I think Leopard would recognize you have a PPC and don't install certain things.

3. i4k20c macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

I guess us PPC users are nothing but "dust in the wind" these days... :(

4. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Certainly. I doubt there's anything else that won't install though, since that's the only thing that depends on x86.

--Eric

5. Thinine macrumors newbie

No, it'll install everything, just like it installs everything for a laptop even on a desktop machine.

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

im so glad you know all this :rolleyes: . i for one think it will install things dependent to platform. bootcamp i doubt will be installed on ppc since it isnt even supported

7. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I'd bet on yes...because boot camp is said to be part of OS 10.5, and PPC and Windows emultors suck, so I'm guessing Apple will avoid it all together with PPC Macs.

Maybe it will ask you if you want Windows Support(if you have an Intel Mac, PPC will just assume you "don't want it", and never ask)

8. Thinine macrumors newbie

Just like it installs the Ink prefpane for people without tablets, it'll install the BootCamp pane and software for PPC machines as well. Plus, it makes it easier to transfer system installs between machines, especially across architectures. It may not be visible unless you look for it, but it will be there.

9. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

My guess is intel only apps a la BootCamp will be an optionable....kinda like Classic in previous OS X versions

10. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

Well you don't need Boot Camp.

Good point, but any Mac, PPC or Intel, can run a tablet if you buy one, a PPC Mac cannot install or run windows, no matter how hard you try. And if you try install Boot Camp on a PPC mac now, it'll say it can't, so the answer is it wont install components that can only run on Intel Macs.

11. SimonTheSoundMa macrumors 6502a

But what if we want to install PPC version of Windows? :p

You can install Windows 2003 for PPC on a Mac.

12. reflex macrumors 6502a

Windows 2003 for PPC? Where?

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I sure hope you're not confusing that with Windows 2003 PocketPC (also commonly abbreviated PPC) which is for PDAs and cell phones.

The last version of a Windows PowerPC version was NT 3.5 I believe.

14. bartelby macrumors Core

Leopard will have the normal installer which allows you to customise the installation. Chances are it will not even allow you to install BootCamp on a PPC Mac.

15. Simon R. macrumors 6502

I see not point in installing a BootCamp pane for PPC since BootCamp won't work on PPC machines.

16. _bnkr612 macrumors 6502a

_bnkr612

You're wrong. There is probably about 90% PPC users in the creative industry.

Anyone want to back me up here?

17. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

Is it really that big of a deal?? BootCamp is pretty small

18. BlackDan macrumors 6502

Yeah, too bad. You know ripping (my own) cd's to iTunes isn't faster on my intel MBP than it is on my 1.2Ghz G4 iBook? So for me it's still fast enough, I wonder how much of a real speedup it actually is for most users. We should see more real tests instead of benchmarks that aren't really saying all that much...

I <3 POWERPC

19. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Apple tends to install everything, so that when your Quad G5 breaks down, you can remove the harddisk, plug it into a MacPro, and it just works.

20. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

<graphic designer with powerbook G4 raises hand>

You are right. In most agencies you'll find the various versions of the powermac G5 these days. Most will wait with the upgrade to CS3 until some version .0 bugs are found and eliminated. They have no time to experiment, and until now there was no point in getting an intel mac if the most important applications run at the same speed or even slower and less stable. And to upgrade all software licenses and machines is a huge expense.

21. kiang macrumors regular

kiang

that's because your disc drive didn't get any faster ;)

22. kiang macrumors regular

kiang

er, that won't work...
    binary apps don't work on both architectures, they just deliver 2 installation packages, so the same install package can be used on both systems, but an installed PPC systems won't work a bit on an intel machine

23. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Yes, PPC Leopard won't include boot-camp ;), I would imagine all the major features would be PPC and Intel though.

24. BlackDan macrumors 6502

You are right of course, but all I'm saying is: real-world speed differences isn't all that much between a G4 and a Core2duo if you're just an average joe and not into video encoding etc. (granted this is a big if)

I'm a sysadmin, I feel NO difference whatsoever even between my 667Mhz TiBook G4 and my 2.3 GHZ MacBook PRO, apart from the fact that the MBP boots faster... (I don't game on the machines (yet, just wait till SC2 :D) I hardly ever recode a video on them (have dedicated machines for that) etc.

Most people will therefore still be very happy with a G4 (or G5).

My G4 has always felt very snappy, and the MBP does not improve my experience, except for that comforting heat on my lap :rolleyes:

(Just so everyone does not think I'm a complete idiot: of course the Core2duo is faster, I just don't experience it that way, because of the applications I use)