Will Leopard work on a Sony Vaio?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by stormy67, May 13, 2008.

1. stormy67 macrumors newbie

I have an old Vaio - about 3 years. It used to run windows xp. I dusted it off and when starting it up it says the operating system can not be found. I have no clue why.

Anyway, I was wondering if I could run leopard on it. Does anyone know?

Please, be gentle with the tech talk. I'm tech illiterate.

Thanks.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

hacking osx on a pc is iffy. gotta have the right hardware and even then, it takes some time to configure it right.

seeing you are tech iliterate, i would not even attempt to even if it was possible as stuff never works the way you expect

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Nope

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

the EULA (end user license agreement) for Leopard, or any version of OS X, for that matter, says that it is only allowed to run on apple branded hardware. so no technically you're not allowed to run it. and besides that the components in the viao probably wouldn't work with the drivers in OS X in any event.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

No, nope, won't work...

To buy a mac, you can go to apple.com
    For discount on Apple certified macs, go to store.apple.com, and look for "special deals"

6. stormy67 thread starter macrumors newbie

7. ChrisA macrumors G4

As everyone has said here getting Leopard to work on the Vaio would (1) slightly annoy someone at Apple Inc. and (2) require avery high degree of tech literatecy.

A better solution is to install Ubuntu Linux. This is not hard and would run well on your Vaio. Ubuntu is very "mac like" and come with everything you will need. http://www.ubuntu.com/

One you have Linux then go and get VMware. VMware is free on Linux and you can run other OSes inside VMware right along suiide Linux (I even got Mac OS "tiger" to run under VMware but it was no stable and a lot of work) I have Windows runing inside VMware under Linux and it works well.

Bottom line is the Linux the best OS for your Viao.

8. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Except for the part where Linux is aimed for tech-literate people, which he is not.

9. Macjames macrumors 6502a

I don't often say this but i agree with the above

For your Viao, Linux is the best operating system. You can even customize it to look like leopard too.

If you want Mac OSX then buying a real mac is the best, no questions (you will enjoy it more)

10. 7031 macrumors 6502

Also, with the No OS found error, it seems to be a common issue with Vaios, with them having ****** harddrives, as I got a Vaio just a few months ago and it's already getting that error.

11. shinchook macrumors regular

shinchook

Nope...

I don't think Os X leopard will run on the vaio. Yes, there are people out there that have gotten specifically configured homebrew computers to run Os X but not without a hassle. Also, those computers need to be have specific hardware in them. Your old Vaio most likely will not have even close to the correct specs.

12. serega macrumors regular

Absolutely not. I downloaded and installed Ubuntu on my old desktop Sony Vaio and it was simpler then windows installation. Also was very easy to get around OS. Got on line without configuring anything.

13. aviationalyours macrumors member

aviationalyours

Overall

If you have 30 hours and preperation to learn tech language then google OS X on PC. Otherwise here are the options:

- Dump the Vaio
    - Dump the Vaio and get a Mac (If youre on budget there are cheab iBooks around)
    - Install Ubuntu Linux (no tech literacy is required for the basics, if you need anything Email me and I will personally help you with anything. RECOMMENDED)
    - Re-install Windows (vomit)

My friend's Vaio had the same problem. It hapenned in front of my eyes. A slight shake. Their HDD's suck. If you are going to do any of the above you need to get your HDD fixed, so visit your service center.

14. GroovyLinuxGuy macrumors regular

GroovyLinuxGuy

Actually the new Ubuntu is pretty user friendly. I am ...umm...slightly more than tech savvy and was pretty impressed with the lack of work that I had to do to get it running on my HP workstation at work. I just let it install and that was really it. I had compiz-fusion running without doing ANY work...wee!...wobbly windows. I have never been able to get that to work properly on a dual screen system.

15. shinchook macrumors regular

shinchook

Truth be told... Just remember that you still have to be pretty tech savvy to run with Ubuntu. I think the original question was geared towards getting an os x computer with out having to purchase one. The simple answer it, it will not work. You can probably get a macbook that will be comparable if not better than that sony.

16. GroovyLinuxGuy macrumors regular

GroovyLinuxGuy

In what way do you have to be tech savvy to run Linux? It is a point and click interface just like os x, installing software is as simple as choose the app you want from the add/remove software in the menu and wait for it to download...then run it (yes by pointing and clickining on it), if you want to use a terminal, you can, but it is not required (kinda like os x). Everything is auto-detected on installation (and what isn't which is less and less nowadays is easily found and fixed by a quick google search)...it isn't until you get into more advanced processes/apps that linux can get tricky and the same goes for windows or os x. So, I am really lost on how you need to be tech savvy...examples please??

But your right...discussing the merits of Linux was not the point of the question.

17. shinchook macrumors regular

shinchook

Now (I probably should have said this before) I am in no way shape or form a Linux user. My only experience with Linux was about 7 years ago and I had a really hard time getting it to see usb ports and other types of hardware. I did manage to get it all working but not without a lot of searching and scripting and learning about the software's ins and outs. I'm sure the software is much more user friendly now and I always see drivers and software updates with additional links for Linux users. I guess I'm making my assumptions on what turned me off to early Linux and not looking into what is available today.

Speaking of Linux... Are there any pros or cons to running it rather than Os X? What about software? Can you run programs like Adobe Creative Suite 3? Finding Linux drivers for your hardware is one thing but if the computer couldn't run the software I need than that would be a deciding factor. I remember having to run around with an early version of gimp on Linux rather than my adobe photoshop.

18. GroovyLinuxGuy macrumors regular

GroovyLinuxGuy

And there in may lay the only issues with linux. Depending on what you want to do with it, it may not have the apps that you want. I think GIMP is a piece of crap. I mean you can do alot of what photoshop does ,but it seems to take twice as long. It's not really a matter of getting used to it either. I am equally clueless in either PS or Gimp (I'm a sysadmin, not a graphics designer)...but at least with PS I can be useless in a lesser amount of time. Alot of app for windows can be run in either Wine or Cross Over Office (supports business apps) or games in another "emulator" that I can't remember the name of. There is usually an open source app that will replace what you are currently running with something that is at least on par, if not better. (again I find Adobe products hard to replace..they are just so good)

Outside of graphics programs like photoshop I really don't see anything really stopping a user from using Linux. One of the big pro's I would have to say is the fact that it will run (and run nicely) on older hardware. Until last week when the NIC died, I was running it on an old Celeron Toshiba Sattellite laptop designed for win98. I think security would be another advantage. There are as many flaws in linux as there are in OS X or Windoze, but they are generally found and patched quicker. And for the most part, without having to restart the computer so there is minimal work interuption. A big user support community (and Ubuntu's forums have some really really good instructions for getting any issues worked out). Linux has come along way in the 7 years since you tried it. I would give it a whirl again if only for sh**ts and giggles.

Cheers

19. Trip.Tucker Guest

Sony do not sell Leopard, Apple sell Leopard. Apple sell Leopard to be run on Apple hardware only. Leopard will run only on Apple hardware. See Tom run. Run Tom, run.

.....are you picking up on the gist here?

20. shinchook macrumors regular

shinchook

I may have to try it out on my older pc thats been sitting in my closet. A lot of the stuff I do is graphic design centric... this may be another reason why I haven't tried it for so long.

I was actually contemplating trying to run it on my PS3 since I upgraded the hard drive. Not sure... any thoughts.

21. jrock2004 macrumors 6502

All in all this post should be closed. it is illegal to run leopard on a sony vio even if you buy the OS cause you have to hack it to work. Mods should close or delete

22. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

It's not illegal, it's against the EULA, quite different. Pretty much the same as unlocking an iPhone and using it on another carrier. For this reason the thread can stay, what is against the rules is discussing how to obtain pirated versions of Leopard that have not been paid for.

23. jrock2004 macrumors 6502

So if you install <b>Hack</b>intosh on a sony vio and walk into an apple store for support will they help you? No cause it is against EULA(Policy and Procedure) to install the OS on anything but apple hardware. You are breaking terms and services which is illegal

24. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Of course they won't help you, but they'll just boot you out rather than have you arrested (provided you actually paid for Leopard).

25. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Firstly, thank you for the above line - it made me laugh out loud and brightened up a really s****y day :)

I'd agree, however - I'm not the biggest fan of Linux on the desktop, but it's a much better story now than it was even a couple of years ago. Provided your hardware is supported by the distro you choose, once you've gotten past installing it, it's no harder to actually use than anything else out there. It'd certainly be my recommendation for the Vaio, provided it isn't dead (I've seen a lot of dead Vaio's lately - they don't seem to be terribly well built).