Will LimeRa1n or GreenPois0n stand Apple's 4.2?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jdomi, Oct 18, 2010.

1. jdomi macrumors newbie

Colleagues,

Does anyone know if either LimeRa1n or GreePois0n be able to survive iOS 4.2?

Best regards.

2. sl1200mk2 macrumors 6502

From Twitter posts they seem to think there's a possibility, but no one will know for sure until 4.2 and beyond are released:

http://twitter.com/#!/musclenerd

"Think we've figured out a way to extend PwnageTool+limera1n+@comex hacks to untethered JBs for all future A4 firmwares :)"

3. labman macrumors 604

labman

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8B117)

Nobody knows 100% but this is why they decided not to use the shater exploit. Both greenp0sion and limera1n use the same exploit.

4. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

As I understand it (and I could be wrong so feel free to correct me), but the exploit used is effectively unpatchable by Apple. The part that can be patched by Apple is the untethered aspect.

5. MajesticNJ macrumors regular

MajesticNJ

First, I am not directly connected with any dev team and my information is only what "I" know and is my take of it. Please do not take my information as the end all be all of information. Just don't want people thinking the wrong thing.

With that said, both exploits are boot rom exploits and are supposed to be un-patchable unless the hardware itself is updated.

What does that mean?

It means that current hardware has certain boot rom and boot rom is not supposed to be remotely updateable or software upgradeable unless done at the factory. So, can they patch it? Yeah but only on new phones moving forward.

The down side? The boot rom exploit is tethered only.

What does that mean?

It means you can't power down / shut down your iphone without losing the jailbreak. You would have to wait till you can connect to a PC again to re-apply the jailbreak. Comex however wrote some code to allow this to be an untethered jailbreak. Both the Limera1n and Greenpois0n jailbreaks are using this soft patch to make them both work untethered.

So, what I see coming is Apple will release 4.2 but worst case scenario we will end up with a tethered jailbreak as they will most certainly patch the exploit used by Comex to make it untethered. (How often do you really need to fully power down your phone anyway? Resprings are not a concern.) Of course, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Comex and the gang already have a plan for that.

Like I said, that's MY take on it all. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Fred

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Yes, it's a low level bootrom hack; in other words hardware hole.

7. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

No, the LLB (low level bootloader) can be patched by Apple in firmware updates. There are 4 steps in the boot chain bootrom>LLB>iboot>kernel.

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Yet they don't and didn't for previous devices because of the potential of something screwing up, badly. They rather just do it at factory

9. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

You're confused. The bottom and the LLB are not the same thing.

10. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

@OP chances are "NO", it won't stand (as it will erase your JB as soon as you update), however there is a chance that Pwnage tool may let you load a custom firmware already JBed (but you still have to re-download and re set all you JB apps or use something like PGKbackup to restore them).

There is also a good chance that some of the "other" exploit that comex have can be implemente quick to make the JB unthethered.

so it all depend on your definition of "stand"