Will lines be long for iPhone X?

bchreng

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
Lines for the 8 seemed pretty nonexistent. Given that everyone here seems to have been able to secure a preorder, do you guys think there’ll be much of a line at Apple stores for the iPhone X?

I have AT&T as my carrier but want an unlocked Verizon model. Hoping I can get there an hour before it opens and snag one. Else I guess I’ll have to wait for Apple to sell the official carrier free model on their site.

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
Lines for the 8 seemed pretty nonexistent. Given that everyone here seems to have been able to secure a preorder, do you guys think there’ll be much of a line at Apple stores for the iPhone X?

I have AT&T as my carrier but want an unlocked Verizon model. Hoping I can get there an hour before it opens and snag one. Else I guess I’ll have to wait for Apple to sell the official carrier free model on their site.
Yes.... because much of the regular population (read as: non apple geeks that hang out on MacRumors forums) didn't wake up in the middle of the night for the preorder, and there's still a lot of people out there that would like to go to the store and get their hands on a product and see what it looks like before trying to make a purchase.

Mr.C

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Yes.... because much of the regular population (read as: non apple geeks that hang out on MacRumors forums) didn't wake up in the middle of the night for the preorder, and there's still a lot of people out there that would like to go to the store and get their hands on a product and see what it looks like before trying to make a purchase.
This.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
People, if you insist on repeatedly asking these largely unanswerable questions, at least give yourself a chance at getting SOME kind of useable response and tell us where you live.

The lines in NYC are going to be longer than in Possum Pouch, Missouri.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
yes.. i think so.
i imagine we'll see a few lines with over a thousand people in them.
[doublepost=1509302204][/doublepost]
and there's still a lot of people out there that would like to go to the store and get their hands on a product and see what it looks like before trying to make a purchase.
ha..
i'm trying to imagine the person who waits in line for 10hrs, then sees the X, then decides "nope, not buying it now that i see it in my hand"
:)

bchreng

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
People, if you insist on repeatedly asking these largely unanswerable questions, at least give yourself a chance at getting SOME kind of useable response and tell us where you live.

The lines in NYC are going to be longer than in Possum Pouch, Missouri.
The responses I’ve received so far seem plenty useful to me. I live in LA and there are plenty of Apple stores around.

Reactions: DUIduckSAUCE

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
yes.. i think so.
i imagine we'll see a few lines with over a thousand people in them.
[doublepost=1509302204][/doublepost]

ha..
i'm trying to imagine the person who waits in line for 10hrs, then sees the X, then decides "nope, not buying it now that i see it in my hand"
You'd be surprised my friend. I've seen it happen, at least once or twice a year, every year since 2010... and not just for iPhones.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
You'd be surprised my friend. I've seen it happen, at least once or twice a year, every year since 2010... and not just for iPhones.
i'm not saying it won't happen once or twice.

i'm just trying to imagine the person who would do that

----------------
but anyway, my point was more along the lines of -- that's going to be such an outside case that it's not even worth bringing up as a reasoning for people lining up on launch day..

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
i'm not saying it won't happen once or twice.

i'm just trying to imagine the person who would do that

----------------
but anyway, my point was more along the lines of -- that's going to be such an outside case that it's not even worth bringing up as a reasoning for people lining up on launch day..
Lol... Please don't imagine that person. It will only anger you, as it's angered me many many times. Especially since I've been in a position to where said person has taken up my personal time in which I could have been diverting my efforts elsewhere in a more productive manner.

Reactions: flat five

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Since when do you have to stand in line just to handle a new phone? The line is for buyers.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
Since when do you have to stand in line just to handle a new phone? The line is for buyers.
i don't know.. i've never been to an Apple store on launch day.

you can go in and check them out.. skipping the buy line?

----
[edit]i see your edit now.

Renho

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA

Where do you live? I live in a small town an hour north of San Francisco and we have 1 Apple store between us and San fran. People lineup the night before. But still only about 50 people in line before opening. One hour before probably won’t cut it!

Reactions: bchreng

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
I'm jealous of everyone that is near an Apple store. My nearest one is 2 hours drive time away :(

Reactions: SHKLMRE

bchreng

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
Where do you live? I live in a small town an hour north of San Francisco and we have 1 Apple store between us and San fran. People lineup the night before. But still only about 50 people in line before opening. One hour before probably won’t cut it!
I’m in LA and can think of 4 locations around me. If lines are that long when I get there, I’ll just head back home and keep checking online. :eek:

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
But "everyone here" is not everyone. Lines could be long. Lines could be short. It's not the weather. I'd say if you want one assume the worst and take a spot as early as you can. Some malls will not allow camping out until 2-3 hours before the mall opens so those would be good places to go to shorten your misery. Also Apple hasn't announced what time it would start selling phones Friday. At least a few times they opened up a couple hours before the mall opened to clear out iPhone buyers. A lot of malls are not fond of the lineups because it blocks traffic for other shoppers.

projectfx

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2014
i think the better question is when do you expect people to start lining up? id say Tuesday or so.

Renho

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
I’m in LA and can think of 4 locations around me. If lines are that long when I get there, I’ll just head back home and keep checking online. :eek:
An hour won’t do it bro, I would head out at 5:30 and go to all of them. Then make ur decision..