Will Macbooks be updated at MWSF '09?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jaredtomas, Nov 16, 2008.

  1. MasterNile macrumors 65816

    MasterNile

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2008
    Location:
    San Antonio, TX
  2. Ironic macrumors 6502a

    Ironic

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2008
    Location:
    In my MBA!
  3. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

    Apple Ink

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2008
  4. foodle macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 14, 2008
    Location:
    Pennsylvania, USA
  5. southerndoc macrumors 6502a

    southerndoc

    Joined:
    May 15, 2006
    Location:
    USA
    #6
    Yes, I know for a fact Apple is releasing a 12" MacBook aluminum with a new Intel Xeon Mobile processor, improved battery life (upwards of ten hours on a single charge), lightweight (only 2 pounds), and superthin (0.5" all around).

    :rolleyes:
     
  6. jaredtomas thread starter macrumors regular

    jaredtomas

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2008
    Location:
    Australia
    #7
    Nice one! :rolleyes:
     
  7. timestoby macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2007
    Location:
    north devon,uk
  8. svndmvn Guest

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2007
    Location:
    Italy
    #9
    come on now, you forgot BluRay and OLED AND 2 Dedicated DDR4 GFX Cards
    on Tuesday, not at MWSF 09
     
  9. SkyBell macrumors 604

    SkyBell

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2006
    Location:
    Texas, unfortunately.
    #10
    Seriously though, no, they are not being updated. I'd place their next revision sometime between March and June.
     
  10. svndmvn Guest

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2007
    Location:
    Italy
    #11
    if we have to be serious..a couple of months after MBP being updated,a storage/RAM update is possible for both and I don't think it's enough for one to wait even a month, just buy it if you need it..
    People say the differences 2.0 and 2.4 are minimum and I see no reason to wait impatiently for a processor update before Nehalem
     
  11. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

    hogfaninga

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2008
    Location:
    Chestnut Tree Cafe
    #12
    If you can wait until they get Nehalem (Fall of next year most likely) then I would if I were you. I have decided to do that and get the Macbook Pro. Nehalem will make the alu Macbook before it look slow and outdated. I'm looking forward to it.
     
  12. gkarris macrumors 604

    gkarris

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2004
    Location:
    "No escape from Reality..."
    #13
    Don't forget about the new Apple NetBooks... :eek:

    Welcome to MacRUMORS...

    :D
     
  13. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2008
    #14

    Im doing the same, although I bought a 2.0 MB now, i'll just sell it and add $300 towards a new MB next year.
     
  14. subq macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2008
    #15
    I picked up the macbook now and will get the mbp once they get nehalem
     
  15. MacsBestFriend macrumors 6502a

    MacsBestFriend

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2008
    Location:
    upstate ny (purgatory)
    #16
    wait: will there be an 8-core macbook? i dont start highschool until next year, but i want a new macbook now pretty much just for the sake of wanting and i want one hdd at my mom and dads houses...
     
  16. jessimmonds macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2008
    #17
    Speculation

    I should imagine that a quad-core MacBook Pro will be introduced first. Maybe in a couple of years...but there is currently (to the best of my extensive knowledge) no 8-core notebook on the market. I think that it is incredibly unlikely that will see an 8-core MacBook Pro in the next two years.
     
  17. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2008
    Location:
    Kitchener, Ontario
    #18
    and even if there is a 8-core notebook in that time...its very unlikely that the macbook pro will be the first to adopt it
     
  18. svndmvn Guest

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2007
    Location:
    Italy
    #19
    I used to have a rev A white base macbook,sold it a year later, waiting for aluminum and LED displays, then some better graphics and multitouch came along, sturdier aluminum than I was expecting, so I am buying a 2.4 MB in January.
    I've heard plenty of people say there's almost no difference between 2.0 and 2.4 for heavy processes and I don't see the sense in waiting Nehalem for a Macbook, MBP maybe, if you already have one.
    but if a Macbook will do for a year it's kinda like buying a stronger machine just for the sake of it, am I wrong?
     
  19. foodle macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 14, 2008
    Location:
    Pennsylvania, USA
    #20
    And the CPU revision after Nehalem will make Nehalem look slow and outdated ...

    ... and in fact we are seeing less and less of a performance boost from CPU upgrades, since many applications bottleneck in the memory and disk sub-systems. So you'd probably see more of a performance boost from faster/more memory or an SSD (also from Intel :D) than from an updated CPU. Although, usually you'll get a new chipset and new memory speeds with the updated CPU, so it's hard to know what to pin the performance boost of a new machine on.
     
  20. foodle macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 14, 2008
    Location:
    Pennsylvania, USA
    #21
    Please tell me this is a joke post ...
     
  21. iMacmatician macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2008
    #22
    Q3 2009 at the earliest. Early 2010 if Apple decides to use dual-core.

    The only notebook I see updated around MWSF is the 17" MacBook Pro - and that I see at about the end of January.

    Even the 2 GHz Q9000 quad-core coming in Q1 2009 is 45 W, most likely too hot for the MacBook Pro.

    There's no octo-core consumer single CPU on the market. So it looks like we'll have to wait until 2012 to see 8-core notebooks, unless they use DP boards.

    H1 2010: Westmere (6 cores)
    H1 2011: Sandy Bridge (6 cores)
    2012: Haswell (8 cores)
     
  22. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

    hogfaninga

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2008
    Location:
    Chestnut Tree Cafe
    #23

    Nehalem will be around a couple of yrs.. It is a major update. That will be worth waiting until the Fall to get. Nehalem will make the current ones look slow by comparison. If you can wait you should.
     
  23. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2008
    #24
    Or you get both
     
  24. foodle macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 14, 2008
    Location:
    Pennsylvania, USA
    #25
    Can you quantify "look slow" ?

    Again, this all depends on what bottlenecks your application. If it's memory access or disk, just a CPU upgrade will not help. But sure, it's safe to assume that anything that comes out a year from now will be faster than what's released today by at least 10%.

    While you're waiting for a year for the CPU of tomorrow, we'll be enjoying our machines of today ... :D
     

Share This Page