Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bubble99

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2015
With good reason, I suppose. Many folks have been waiting for a significant update to the MBP line, its been a long time, the 15" model is still on Haswell, never mind Broadwell.

Given that the Kaby Lake's low power processor is available, I think you can make a case for Apple to update the line to that processor.

Apple should lower the price if these computers it is absolutely crazy it has been no updates for over a year!! Well yet they still are selling it at full price!!

I don't know what Apple is doing with these new computers that it is taking them so long to bring it out. They must be completely changing the form factor or Apple would of updated it long time ago.

I think it bad move on Apple selling old computers at full price.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
If I choose in Germany the core M5 (which everyone should..) I would pay nearly ---- .
(1800e or so)

that's is odd that you are forced to get 512gb ssd if you want m5 but then, you can upgrade from m3 to m7 without needing to buy larger ssd. i would rather take m7/256gb instead of m5/512gb - that is stupid to add larger ssd for m5 just to make the price higher.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Apple should lower the price if these computers it is absolutely crazy it has been no updates for over a year!! Well yet they still are selling it at full price!!
Perhaps not as extreme as this point in time, but people have complained about not lowering the price on old technology before. I guess its because (I'm assuming) that Apple views the Mac as a complete solution its providing and the CPU model is immaterial to the user experience. It doesn't matter what they use as long as they provide a premium experience.

Unrealmac1988

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2015
True I just checked again and it is 1799 € atm.

My fault. I calculated everything together to switch my working space to this system in april and everything together (adapters, new hdmi cable...) was nearly 2000€

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
No doubt. This process started, in my mind, in 2012 with the iMac. Everyone was expecting an iMac redesign/upgrade that summer, but summer came and went and we didn't get one released until, essentially, December of that year (it was shown in November but not available for a few weeks). I too am dumbfounded by Apple's lackadaisical attitude to its computer lineup. Especially when they tout their "courage" to be on the leading edge of tech.

I'm neither a fanboy or a hater, I build windows gaming rigs and use my MacBook and iPhone every day. But I'm starting to feel Apple is losing its way. Using terms like 'courage' to describe themselves just screams hubris to me. I hope I'm wrong, but they've almost completely ignored their computer line up and even their iPhone and iPad line up is becoming fragmented and overly expensive in my opinion.
Enough with the stupid wrist straps.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
apple has courage to sell old tech for a premium price.

anyway... im going to upgrage my main laptop and waiting the announcement for mbpr until i make a decision if i get another zenbook or mbpr to be the laptop i used daily for everything.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US

If enough people are walking in and buying these computers at the full price that Apple is satisfied with their sales volume, do please explain why exactly they should reduce the price?

Reactions: Jayderek

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
There will be new models and new prices but I don't think it'll be in October, the event will be occupied with the new MacBook Pro models an other Mac refreshes.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I'd be very surprised if the Macbook had another update this year give its April update. Six months is a pretty short cycle.

toddzrx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
I am still trying to figure out if any Macbook could become cheaper. Apple flooded the market with a average prices, well performing Macbook Air and sure gained A LOT marketshare. Even though Tim Cook made everything more expensive and is very profit oriented I kind of still think that Apple knows the current rMB comes with a bit too much sacrifices for the price. If I choose in Germany the core M5 (which everyone should..) I would pay nearly 2.000 €. Compared to the 1.100€ for a similar performing Macbook Air, this is just nuts.

I hope the new Macbook Pro will start at about 1.800€ and the upcoming rMB or Macbook Air will start at (with kind of good hardware) for about 1.200€

October is here. Let's hope for the best :)

Hey, I lived over in Germany for 7 years (prior military). Enjoyed every minute of it.

Since you're quoting prices, I'm curious: what kind of warranty do you get with an Apple computer purchase? Also, I assume those prices include all taxes? In other words, 2,000 euros for a Macbook is what you pay to walk out the door with it, right?
[doublepost=1475544734][/doublepost]
I'd be very surprised if the Macbook had another update this year give its April update. Six months is a pretty short cycle.

Unfortunately it is these days. A decade ago it was pretty much that norm (at least when Apple first switched over to Intel).

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Unfortunately it is these days. A decade ago it was pretty much that norm (at least when Apple first switched over to Intel).

While the pace of change hasn't exactly slowed down(*), the pace of change that's truly discernible to the end user has slowed even in the span of ten years. Expand your view to thirty or so years and it's far more apparent how that pace has changed.

Don't get me wrong, most of Apple's computer line is sorely in need of a refresh, as well as a bit of realignment / reorganization of the odd product mix they currently have. I simply don't think we'll see any substantive updates to the 12" retina Macbook before 2017. I could also be wrong. It happens sometimes.

(*) one could argue that Intel's retirement of their tick-tock development cycle is a slowing of the pace of change. That's valid from a certain perspective, yet I maintain they are continuing their work and creating underlying change but that the macro level it is not as visible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.