Will MacBook's be updated in October?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by tayy, Sep 24, 2016.

1. tayy, Sep 24, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2016

tayy macrumors newbie

Hi all.

Im looking forward to see the new Macbook pro's, but Im also curious if the Macbook's are getting some updates next month, new cpu's, ssd speeds etc. Maybe they will release a 13 inch model and kill the whole Air line?

What do you think?

2. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

no one knows, until it's real; this is how it's always worked with apple. certainly the rumors support new pros, and maybe there will be a processor bump in the macbooks. we'll see when we get there...

3. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

I'm reading this on my 17" powerbook. Sure wish they would make a 17" macbook!

4. christ0pher macrumors newbie

I doubt the 12" MacBook will be upgraded. It's only been half a year since the 2016 model was released. Who knows though. Excited to see what the MBP has in store!

5. Ovedius macrumors 6502

Ovedius

Imagine the meltdown over in the Waiting for Skylake Pro thread if Apple updated only the MacBook to Kaby Lake and left the Pro behind again.

"Today we're proud to announce..."

"Mmm, finally, my body is ready!"

"Our most powerful MacBook ever!"

"FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU"
    sep.-25-2016 12-36-15.gif

Christ, disillusioned enough, surely it would drive a good portion of the posters to suicide.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

With good reason, I suppose. Many folks have been waiting for a significant update to the MBP line, its been a long time, the 15" model is still on Haswell, never mind Broadwell.

Given that the Kaby Lake's low power processor is available, I think you can make a case for Apple to update the line to that processor.

7. Ovedius macrumors 6502

Ovedius

Indeed, paying full price for the current Pro is tantamount to exploitation.
    Sure the build quality is unparalleled, the OS is stellar and the performance is excellent.
    But your still paying a spectacular premium for a three year old Haswell CPU and a GPU based on the four year old Cape Verde. That is, frankly, outrageous.

But then again, this is just a computer we're talking about, most of us have bigger problems to occupy our time :p

8. KPOM macrumors G5

Apple waited 6 months after the Broadwell Core M was available to ship the original MacBook, and 6 months after the Skylake Core M was available to ship the Skylake update. My guess is that Apple will wait until the spring to update the MacBook again.

9. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

I doubt the rMB get an update. I am anxiously awaiting for the rMBP's so I can either buy one, or if I am not impressed go with the rMB which would suit my needs just fine. Only reason I haven't gone with a rMB yet is to see any brand new features that could be possible on this supposed new rMBP.

The waiting game is the worst and I wish apple would not be so tight lipped about upcoming releases. Of course that would be bad for business...

10. SCOLANATOR macrumors 6502a

SCOLANATOR

I got so tired of waiting for the new Pro I sold my Haswell rMBP, built a high end Skylake gaming rig and bought this little brilliant m3 MacBook. I feel sorry for those that are waiting, this 3 year update cycle is shameful. Personally I don't understand why one of the worlds biggest and richest companies, which has been building computers for decades can't slap a new piece of silicon in the laptop once every year or two? Would it have killed them to go Haswell>Broadwell>Skylake when then chips became available? I'm not even asking for a dGPU upgrade (which would be nice now that both AMD and Nvidia are on FinFET).

I do imagine this new MBP will be one brilliant laptop but the lack of processor bumps each year is disgraceful and insulting to Apple's core audience. Sure iPhones make lots of money, but it doesn't take that much resource to replace Haswell with whatever and Apple's laptop marketshare could have continued to grow instead of stagnate.

11. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Since I just bought my rMB a month ago, I certainly am not hoping for any sort of update/speed bump/whatever THIS soon!

12. asoksevil macrumors 6502

I don't think so, the MacBook has had its update cycle set on early (March/April) so having this moved to October would be very unlikely.

13. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

But Apple have stated that they release when it is ready not according to a set cycle.

14. Z3man macrumors 6502a

I agree with most, no update until March/April next year, highly unlikely this October.

15. doboy macrumors 68000

NO... I guarantee there will be no upgrade to the 12". But who knows if they will release different size rMBs :)

16. toddzrx macrumors 6502a

toddzrx

No doubt. This process started, in my mind, in 2012 with the iMac. Everyone was expecting an iMac redesign/upgrade that summer, but summer came and went and we didn't get one released until, essentially, December of that year (it was shown in November but not available for a few weeks). I too am dumbfounded by Apple's lackadaisical attitude to its computer lineup. Especially when they tout their "courage" to be on the leading edge of tech.

17. Unrealmac1988 macrumors member

I could imagine a new/updated Macbook Air with a few less ports and USB-C or they will introduce a bigger version of the current rMB with a second USB-C port.

18. AmelieCofas Suspended

the kaby lake cpu are out there for 12" macbook in October so they can

19. KPOM macrumors G5

But they probably won't. The Skylake Core M chips came out this time last year but the MacBook wasn't updated until April.

20. toddzrx macrumors 6502a

toddzrx

It'll be interesting to see what Apple really does with these product lines. If you ask me, producing the MacBook forced the MacBook Air into an odd position when it comes to upgrading it. If you were to retain all of the capabilities and battery life of the current Air, and just add a retina screen (which is of course pretty much the number 1 request you read about over on the Air forums), you end up with basically something the size, weight, and (slightly less) power of a MacBook Pro due to the size of the larger battery. So what's the point in upgrading the Air? On the other hand, if Apple does release a larger MacBook, say 14", do they retain the core M chip and keep it fanless, or go with a U series to give it a little more grunt, but also add a fan? And how many ports do they add, if any? Hopefully we'll know in a few weeks. I personally would be very interested in a 14" MacBook if Apple were to make one.

21. richinaus macrumors 6502a

I am inclined to think they could release a 13" MacBook with new Kabylake processor [rumours are for the air upgrade, but why bother....]. If they do release a new MacBook they may well upgrade the 12" at the same time.

22. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

why would apple make a macbook with a screen 1" larger than the current model? not realistic, and not typical of them...

23. richinaus macrumors 6502a

ok 14" then or 13.5 or what ever it is. Makes sense to make a larger MacBook.

24. Unrealmac1988 macrumors member

I am still trying to figure out if any Macbook could become cheaper. Apple flooded the market with a average prices, well performing Macbook Air and sure gained A LOT marketshare. Even though Tim Cook made everything more expensive and is very profit oriented I kind of still think that Apple knows the current rMB comes with a bit too much sacrifices for the price. If I choose in Germany the core M5 (which everyone should..) I would pay nearly 2.000 €. Compared to the 1.100€ for a similar performing Macbook Air, this is just nuts.

I hope the new Macbook Pro will start at about 1.800€ and the upcoming rMB or Macbook Air will start at (with kind of good hardware) for about 1.200€

October is here. Let's hope for the best :)

25. Merkie macrumors 68020

It's €1.749, not €2.000. Still expensive, but not as expensive as you say it is.