Will my iPhone take over my phone number?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mussbus999, Oct 13, 2011.

1. mussbus999 macrumors newbie

When the iPhone 4S arrives from FedEx (AT&T), will my old phone with my SIM card that has all my contacts and phone number transfer to my iPhone? Or do I have to go to an AT&T store to do all that?

Thanks!

2. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

I can't remember the last time I stored contacts on my sim card! Do you have a mac or are you coming from another iPhone? If so, you should import them in address book or back up your phone and you should be all set. If you're using a non-iPhone 4, you will have to use the included sim card or get a new micro-sim.

3. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Just go to an AT&T store later in the day. It's the easiest since they have a machine that transfers contacts from sim to sim. Also, the Apple store can do that too.

4. mussbus999 thread starter macrumors newbie

This will be my first iPhone, my phone is pretty ancient. Saving all my contacts onto my Mac is a possibility, but what about my phone number?

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Nope, your new SIM card will be blank. However, if you already have an iPhone, it's not that hard to transfer contacts. You can do it a couple of ways. Assuming you don't have an iPhone, you'll need to insert the SIM into the iPhone, go to Settings > Contacts and press "import SIM contacts". Problem with that is a standard SIM won't fit into the iPhone 4S, and you'll need to cut it down / use a SIM cutter (looks like a hole puncher ... can be found on Amazon). You can take it to AT&T and they might be able to help (by flashing your contacts from your old SIM to a microSIM and importing the numbers that way).

Edit: Just saw the post above. You keep the same phone number.

6. mussbus999 thread starter macrumors newbie

7. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I realized that my post above was a mess. Let me try again.

There's a button on the iPhone to let you transfer contacts from your SIM.
    [​IMG]

Problem is, the SIM card you currently have won't fit in the iPhone.
    [​IMG]

You can buy a SIM cutter to make your SIM smaller Amazon link or you could try to take it to AT&T. They should be able to copy the data from your old SIM to a new microSIM that would fit in the phone.

I realize that you probably understood this, but I wanted to make my post nicer :) Pictures are always nice lol