Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
I have a black iPhone 5 purchased on launch day. Never used a case or screen protector. Not a single scratch or scuff. Those that claim they all scuff don't know what they are talking about.

Now of course there will be a scuff gate 2. People have to complain, even when they don't own the product.

We'll how about that?! Because YOU don't have a problem, the ones that THINK they do don't know what they are talking about...

legioxi

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013
I have a black iPhone 5 purchased on launch day. Never used a case or screen protector. Not a single scratch or scuff. Those that claim they all scuff don't know what they are talking about.

Now of course there will be a scuff gate 2. People have to complain, even when they don't own the product.

Same, except mine is marked up to heck and back. The edges did wear fast. Then I started dropping it. The back has held up except the glass top and bottom both are scratched badly. One ding in the metal back.

No complaints though. Its a freaking phone. It just works. No need for people to get bent out of shape. Hell, I even paid full price for mine and it is a 64GB model, add tax and AC+... 1k. Still have both replacements on my AC+... it's all about function.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
I don't think there will be any problems with scuffing on the 5s. It seems the new manufacturing process involves dying the aluminium instead of just coating it. I don't think these will suffer from 'scuffgate'.

bjcskier

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2012
I have to get a few of these for work. Wondering if I should go with white and gold models, since the black 5 scuffed like crazy. These current models look like hell now.

Let's sure hope they learned their lesson last time.

If no longer selling the Slate, and changing out the existing iPods for they new Space Gray is any indication, I bet they have.

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
We'll how about that?! Because YOU don't have a problem, the ones that THINK they do don't know what they are talking about...

No, I didn't say there weren't any with problems. I said those who say ALL black iPhone 5's scuff easily are wrong.

But then reading is hard. :rolleyes:

madKIR

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2010
NYC
No wonder they discontinued the black/slate version and introduced the plastic version of the 5.
The answer is they've tweaked the anodizing process.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
No wonder they discontinued the black/slate version and introduced the plastic version of the 5.
The answer is they've tweaked the anodizing process.

I think it's the opposite: Apple used a lighter coating, "space grey", instead of slate so that scuffs are less visible instead of using a stronger coat.

ajiuo

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
Here is the scrach test video... The space gray is a vast improvment over the black.

http://youtu.be/niFz61XJ0lk

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
I think you are generalizing a bit, especially as a person who doesn't have the device. "Everyone who thinks this is a problem is wrong" is a pretty bold statement, and you have all but made it.
I didn't all but make the statement. I went ahead and made it.

----------

People like this blow my mind. How was it not a problem? If there were phones coming scuffed up from the factory then that's an issue.
Nothing looks as good used as it does brand new. I just think people are mistaking general usage wear to a manufacturing or design flaw.

Semester

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2011
So, now that people have had ot for a few days how is the space grey holding out scuffwise?

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2011
My understanding is that they have changed the manufacturing process to eliminate that flaking/chipping from the 5.

Thing is, most don't "flake" or "chip", at least the ones I've personally seen. They rub off.. So the edges have this white halo around them with the metal showing below.

I figure it's a phone, it is metal, and will scuff no matter how good the process is. Get a white one if you're worried about a silverish metal showing up on a background of black.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Considering the black only got scuffs because they painted the edges...no, this one is polished on the edges. So I don't see it being an issue this time.

----------

So, now that people have had ot for a few days how is the space grey holding out scuffwise?

The polished finish will leave it looking great for its entire life of use if taken care of. That was my only complaint with the 5....now its been fixed..I'm happy :)

Semester

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2011
Considering the black only got scuffs because they painted the edges...no, this one is polished on the edges. So I don't see it being an issue this time.

----------

The polished finish will leave it looking great for its entire life of use if taken care of. That was my only complaint with the 5....now its been fixed..I'm happy :)

Hmm, so the edges have no color at all? Meaning the edges of it looks exactly the same as the white/silver one?

Atomic Walrus

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2012
Hmm, so the edges have no color at all? Meaning the edges of it looks exactly the same as the white/silver one?

That does seem to be the case. Didn't think of it until reading this, but it does indeed appear to be fully reflective at the edges.

I can attest to this improving its resistance to visible damage. I managed to drop mine once already. It bounced off the carpet and scraped against the wall before landing (again on carpet). You can see a slight deformation of one of the edges (you'd have to be looking for it, it's incredibly tiny) where it hit the wall, but the actual color of the metal was not changed.

Yep just like antennagate.
A non existant issue that the vocal minority made up to get money out of Apple.

The 4 did indeed drop data connections if you touched "that spot" in mediocre cell service areas, which I happen to live in. Sure, we all made that up to get free pieces of plastic. Apple also hired new antenna engineers to design a fix which they detailed in the 4S launch for an imaginary issue.

I agree that it was blown out of proportion, but you're doing the exact same thing: Taking it to an extreme and saying it was fabricated, which is absurd.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA

No painted color, they are darker, but the pigment is in the metal...looks like a colored aluminum. The rough metal looks like a darker version of a macbook and the edges are very shiny and polished.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.