Will non-retina iMac's see an update soon ?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by freshe, Oct 21, 2014.

1. freshe macrumors regular

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

I wouldn't expect anything until Q1 or Q2 2015 when Broadwell is available.

3. plastictoy macrumors member

Don't they have a spring event around March or April? I doubt anything earlier and it might be paired up with the iWatch mass release.

So soon would be almost half a year away.

4. Nee412 macrumors 6502

I doubt they will be updated at all.

If I had to guess, either at WWDC or during the 2015 October event we will see a new 4K 21.5" iMac. The non-retina iMacs will stay with Haswell until they are eventually discontinued.

I could be wrong though.

5. koulmj Suspended

koulmj

Relative to the span of human existence, yes. Soon indeed.

6. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

I'm hoping by mid-2015 for the 21" iMac.

7. TRAV9614, Oct 21, 2014
    Last edited: May 15, 2017
  8. Winter Charm macrumors 6502a

Winter Charm

Hopefully we see broad well and some nice Nvidia mobile chips. I really don't like the way the AMD chips are performing here :(

9. leenak macrumors 68020

Broadwell won't provide much difference, Skylake is where you will see a performance difference so if you are truly waiting, you might as well wait for that. And if you think that the non-retina iMacs will be updated with Nvidia cards... that is a lot of wishful thinking. I am guessing it will be AMD cards, maybe the same ones, maybe not.

10. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

If you look at the details, Apple is now selling "cheap" and "expensive" iMacs. The Retina iMac doesn't only have a retina display, it also has faster CPUs and a better drive in the base configuration. You pay $2499 for the base Retina iMac; you pay $2199 for the same hardware without retina, 100 MHz less clock speed, and a lesser graphics card, so the actual price for the retina upgrade is less than $300.

I don't think you should expect an upgrade for the non-retina iMac any time soon, and not without an equivalent upgrade to the retina iMac. Non-retina will always be less powerful hardware, not just a cheaper display.

11. Serban Suspended

the non-retina imac is in the past case of the classic macbook. So get used to in the future that the current imacs will be left as they are now. So in 2015 we will have the 21.5" 4k display along with the 27" 5k and that it, and 2016 probably the non retina will be gone. And im betting that in 2-3 years even the current macbook airs will be gone for the 12" macbook air to take the place

so in 2016 we will have 4k 21.5" and 5k 27" iMac configurations
    12" Macbook Air
    13" and 15" Macbook Pro and the Mac Pro with 27" 5k Thunderbolt displays
    Mac Mini

12. Winter Charm macrumors 6502a

Winter Charm

Hmm fair enough. I was just drawing parallels to the first year the rMBP was introduced, and we saw the same hardware in a non retina model. You're right about nvidia chips being wishful thinking at this point :p

I really wish apple would keep using Nvidia graphics. They are so much more power efficient. :p