Will OSX ever?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by davidhawkins123, Jan 28, 2011.

1. davidhawkins123 macrumors regular

Will OSX ever run on a windows/linux machine. because I read the following on 9to5mac.com

"Also, we heard that OSX was heading to virtual machines that ran on Non-Apple hardware next month as well."

what do you think.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

No. Been discussed ad nauseum, Apple won't do it. Hopefully ever.

Perhaps a small chance that OS X Server will be allowed on specific, approved third-party hardware, but never OS X Client.

jW

4. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

I doubt even OS X Server would be let out, since it and the Client are basically the same (Can run the same apps with a little editing of the installers pretty much). Its more likely the Server stuff will just appear in the App Store in 10.7 and we wont have another RackMac till 2014 when they realise they made a massive screwup and people like having servers in racks...

5. 0815 macrumors 68000

You already could do this - but not legally. Not every device might be supported.

6. gnasher729, Jan 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2011

gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Your question seems a bit confused. You can of course run MacOS X, Windows and Linux on the same Macintosh computer. I guess you are asking whether MacOS X will run on a computer that is not a Macintosh.

Answer: The license of MacOS X says that you can run one copy on one Apple-branded computer, and that's it. 9to5mac.com may have heard something, but not from Apple. And anyone who is making virtual machines and has cash in the bank (VMWare, Citrix) will be very, very careful not to make the modifications that would be necessary to run MacOS X on non-Apple hardware because they would get sued their ass off.

I don't think that would happen, for legal reasons. If you look back at the Psystar case, Psystar was ordered to pay $30,000 for copyright infringement and $2,500 _per copy_ for DMCA violation. If that had been Dell (not that a company like Dell would ever do something like this), they would laugh at the $30,000, but the couldn't afford to pay $2,500 per illegal copy. Now if MacOS X Server could technically run on a Dell computer, then making an illegal copy wouldn't be a DMCA violation anymore. And I think you could easily run MacOS X server on your computer, and it would do anything that MacOS X would do.

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I believe the intent of the question is regarding OS X running in a virtual machine on a Windows box, not as a Hackintosh

Both of which are technically violations of Apple's EULA
    And I don't see that changing